LaFerrari replacement: v12, no hybrid, less power than SF90stradale? | Page 8 | FerrariChat

LaFerrari replacement: v12, no hybrid, less power than SF90stradale?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Ale55andr0, Dec 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    LaF and TDF combustion motors are probably not as similar as they may seem ... cam profiles, valve sizing, ignition timing etc may be significantly different. Again, the presence of the hybird/KERS system allows the ICE to be tuned for higher-rpm power, without concern over loss of low-end torque.

If you could simply cut-out the hybrid/KERS system of LaF ... you would not enjoy the driving experience. The two systems were optimized together, not separately.

Caeruleus11 and x z8 like this.
  2. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Agreed. Would also be interesting to see how the M5 LaF prototype performs..458 chassis and engine, steering, suspensions and ESP systems from the LaFerrari, without KERS. The closest thing to a modern Testarossa.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Anyway, I believe the next halo car will follow the LaF's steps.. tech move forwards, not backwards.

x z8 likes this.
  3. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    #178 Dilusha, Aug 24, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    I think it'll be over 1000 horses but much lighter even if it's hybrid. I'd say no more than 1250 kilos dry and obviously RWD. It could be AWD, but I don't think they'd do that. 0-100 in between 2.0-2.5 seconds, 0-200 in about 5 seconds and 0-300 in no more than 10 seconds. I think even 0-400 is possible in 20 seconds. After all the LaFerrari has a top speed of 372 kmph. But most importantly, a Fiorano lap time around 65-70 seconds.

4. Ale55andr0

Ale55andr0 Karting

May 23, 2019

I don't even believe it if I see it. Ferrari is not interested in setting any acceleration records or competing with von koenigsegg

F2003-GA and jpalmito like this.
  5. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    what tifosi need :
    Nice looking car
    light car
    good sound
    nimble car.

extreme performance no longer matters

F2003-GA and ZF123 like this.
  6. Ale55andr0

Ale55andr0 Karting

May 23, 2019
    like in f1.

(and is a bad thing, not a good one)

7. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    In my opinion, these figures aren't even that hard to believe for the halo car, even 1250-1300 PS would be likely considering that the SF90, who took the 812's place as the king of the lineup, already overtook the LaF in terms of power output.

G. Pepper likes this.
  8. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    as a tifosi i also like to see ferrari has one of the fastest and also not so nimble... i would say "extreme"

9. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Why the fascination with power. Surely power to weight ratio and overall emotion/drama/driving experience is more important in a halo Ferrari these days. Anyone can build a very powerful car. But only the best manufacturers (and especially Ferrari) can make a desirable one.

jpalmito likes this.
  10. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Power isn't the most important thing but it's still part of the overall package. And, in my opinion, there's now way Ferrari is going to launch a new halo car in 2023 (?) with less power than the SF90 Stradale.

11. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Probably true. But if that is the case it probably means they can’t deliver the required halo model performance advantage needed over sf90 without it.

12. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    With age my perception of things has changed.
    But I understand your point of view.

13. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    I’d rather have the prototype M5 LaF than the real thing any day.

14. LARACER11

LARACER11 Rookie

Sep 2, 2020
    Do you have any insight about these things dying in collections? Why would that happen. Wouldn't they be on a charger?

15. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    Various reasons. To start with I have seen cars that people forgot to plug in, went on holiday and came back to find them dead. Inexcusable but happens to everybody.
    Others plugged them in at a remote facility, the facility suffered a power outage and the car died before power was restored. Unlucky to have an outage that lasts this long but if it happens there is nothing you can do unless you receive an automated alert.
    I also know of one case where the car died out of the blue, was diagnosed as needing a new battery and Ferrari challenged the request to replace the battery for free as the car had under 1000km on the odometer after 5 years, i.e. it was not being used. Apparently the manufacturer recommends regular use of the car to maintain the health of the battery (I have no idea if they ended up paying for it or not)

Either way, leaving the car with no power is not uncommon and it can’t be such an expensive mistake. It is a big deterrent to anyone who aspires to owning a LaF

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

16. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    or any Ferrari hybrid, can't imagine how many SF90s will share these same fates (and LBs, and whatever else)...and its battery power even more critical as reverse gear completely depends upon it...

17. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
  18. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    G. Pepper and 9nb like this.
  19. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    You know as much as I do. :)

20. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    as much or rather as little .... :D

G. Pepper likes this.
  21. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    The test mule can be anything.

Anyway, I don´t think that Ferrari´s hypercar should be about pleasing the purists but about the latest stuff they have available, and that means hybrid. I also think that maybe it´s time to leave the NA V12 for the GT cars (yeah, I know I´m exposing to a lynch mob). Maybe a F1 derived V6 would fit better into this.

22. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    There has been talk for the past few months about a new battery to replace the original KERS one that is prone to dying when off the charger. Several I know who have had replacements at 200k+ euro (one unlucky enough to have it twice) and have been saying to Ferrari that they object to the same fragile battery again. Given they are among the top clients, for once Ferrari might actually be doing something about it, and this could be a test car for it.

23. fezza56

fezza56 Rookie

May 6, 2008
    England
    This is a really interesting mule, could it be the rumoured design they held back when the la Ferrari was released? Also when do we think we can start seeing the mules for the replacement ?

24. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Maybe a mule for the new V12 generation ?