430 - New bluetooth radio | FerrariChat

430 New bluetooth radio

Discussion in '360/430' started by Themaven, Oct 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I am upgrading the crappy factory hifi in my 05 gated 430 Spider in increments. It has the standard hi fi. Last year I replaced the door speakers, so the head unit now sounds like it is playing through a garbage can, rather than through a garbage can at the bottom of the sea. Seriously the speakers are now very good.

I don't need a 20,000W nightclub in there (had that in my previous cars!) so I would like a good contemporary head unit that a) fits the slot without any surgery b) has good sound (as all contemporary head units seem to) c) has bluetooth so I can use my phone and ideally (but not a deal breaker) d) has a USB out front.

I would rather not install amps, subwoofers, tweeters, etc and understand the limitations of the existing speaker cavities in producing big sound.

There are a few threads around this subject here but I couldn't find anything recent.

My F dealer has recommended the following:

Replacement of the original Becker unit with a Pioneer Z7100 AVH DAB

Does anyone have any experience of this unit, and do you have any other recommendations?

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    #2 mike32, Oct 28, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    I put an Alpine cde-203bt in mine, changed in 10 mins as no mods needed to the wiring. A lot easier to read the radio station than the becker
    Is the Pioneer one of those with the big screen, if so will it get in the way. I found a Z 7200 on amazon but not a 7100

3. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    I absolutely hate the stock radio - to remove the stock unit do you need special tools to slide in and unhook. How hard is it to get out? If it's not much trouble could you provide some detail please/. Also where did you buy the new Alpine unit if not Amazon?

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I did a pioneer flip. Search for it

5. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Mike that is a great tip as I just checked it out and yes it does have the big screen. Don’t want that and with the manual gearshift even more of a PITA.

your unit looks good and reviews also say Pioneer
    DEH-X8800BHS

if anyone has experience of that one.

Meanwhile a question, these units come with DAB but 430 needs a DAB aerial. Is there an easy fit for this anywhere?

6. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    thanks yes looks like a good one.

7. Enzo Sebastian

Enzo Sebastian Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2020
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Laurence Sebastian
    Well, it sounds weird perhaps for a Ferrari, but I had just had my factory head unit in the F430 replaced with a Pioneer SPH-10BT.
    Believe me, it looks very good in the interior and it has a built in phone cradle! You can alter the button/key color to match the yellowish Ferrari interior light and the combination with the Pioneer app makes that you see your actual speed, time, album/cover art or other music info. It's got bluetooth so you can have your calls at the same time, and it's connected to your navigation app. Really, it cost me 99 euros here, approx. 110USD, and I couldn't be happier haha.

Also (!) you can get Pioneer park distance control sensors to connect them to the radio, having some kind of PDC retrofit to your F at the same time!

8. Chris145

Chris145 Rookie

Mar 18, 2019
    Full Name:
    Chris Trybus
    If you don’t want to change the head unit i installed one of these. It plugs into the cd changer plug and allows you to have Bluetooth. You can’t control the music or anything from the radio but as long as you start the NAV and music before you set off you can still skip tracks etc from your phone.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313264355474

Keeps everything looking standard .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If you look at the front of the unit, as you look at the left side about an inch from the edge you will see a split in the unit face. If you slide the ferrari name sideways you will find the left hand section will come out. This gives you access to the LH release slot, look on the RH side for a similar slot. You now need 2 release keys to fit a Becker unit.
    Once you have the keys in place the unit will pull forward.

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    You need to put up on your info where u r based. I got mine via local audio shop but Amazon do sell them

11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If you look on u tube for the model you were thinking about you can see how it fits, it shows the screen coming out etc and it would cover part of the central vents from what i can see. There is a pic of the dab aerial stuck to the windscreen.
    I dont have mine setup for a phone as i am one of those people who hates any sort of phone use when driving, handsfree is as bad as having it in your hand. Besides the capristo would drown the thing out.

Themaven likes this.
  12. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    Thanks the release keys is what I was referring to. I imagine they are tricky to come by.

13. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    You can but then anywhere, different types for different radios. You can also buy a universal set. Look on e bay or amazon

14. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    If you really want the stock look with good sound I would recommend Mike's super amp. (scuderia audio)

15. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Funny you mentioned the Pioneer SBH-10BT yesterday. I purchased mine around January 2019 new off eBay (they hadn't made it to the states yet). While I liked the setup, it refused to connect to bluetooth after the first day, driving me nuts trying to figure out the issue. I finally dedicated a considerable amount of time this week to try and update the firmware and figure out the issue, to no avail. After reviewing other threads and doing more research, I decided this was still the best bang for the buck if I can get a working one, so I've ordered a new one to replace it from Best Buy. I'm hoping the first was a fluke, or that it hopefully has new firmware that will allow it to work with my iPhone.

If it works, I do think this is a great option for the F430. I also like the USB port on the front that can charge your phone when connected.

Also, if the new one works, I'll probably give the old one away at the cost of shipping if someone here wants to tinker with it or try it on for size. Maybe it's a Euro version that only works with Euro phones?

16. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    go with the Alpine it really good installed on in my 360 works excellent

17. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Great advice everyone thank you.

I am going to go with Alpine as a first stage, next week, to be installed during my annual.

If that still needs help, I will go for Mike’s super amp which I hear great things about.

I will post observations as I do the changeover! I just bought the Alpine plus a windscreen DAB aerial on Amazon.