Prices on the rise big time | Page 14 | FerrariChat

Prices on the rise big time

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, Oct 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blue_myriddn

blue_myriddn Karting

Feb 8, 2012
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I hope so - I would love to see the car first hand :)

2. ferrari bud

ferrari bud Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Chris
    All things mostly equal (maintenance records, ext/int color, main issues addressed, etc.), what do you guys think the price difference is between a 20K vs. 30K mileage car?

$5K? $10K? more/less?

3. Nikki Sixx

Nikki Sixx Karting
    BANNED

Mar 8, 2014
    Well actually I would officially state that mine are more valuable by a country mile for the record , but since I'm sure everyone rightfully feels the same way about their car, I digress and say again, Drive'em , Love'em, and fix'em.

In good health.

tatry68 likes this.
  4. Nikki Sixx

Nikki Sixx Karting
    BANNED

Mar 8, 2014
    Stay tuned baby!

Great trip footage from you BTW. It's threads like those that keep it interesting

5. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    $15k - $20k depending on options

6. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

all things being equal Id say 5 to 10 like you say....probably leaning more towards 10

7. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    It's only an opinion, but here is how I see the mileage working with prices.

I'm more interested in service records and condition than miles, but for many the reality is:

Sub 10k miles / add $15 to $20k
    10-20k miles / add $5 to $10k
    25k to 35k miles / no add or deduct
    40k miles plus / start deducting $5k plus for miles

Robb

8. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Is there any case in which rare isn't more valuable?

Kind regards,

Nuno.

9. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Another non-owner that knows nothing.

10. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Yes, Green :)

11. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    With a 355? What is actually rare that is liked more? Not much really.
    Challenge cars are rare for sure. But as for the Spider vs GTS vs GTB. Some like the Spider more but there a tons of them and many good ones available. Some like the GTS because there are less of them and they like the roof coming off without the full tent on the roof. The purists like the GTB but there are many of those as well. IMO a 2.7 GTB is the way to go but then thats me. They are all beautiful cars.

12. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    What options could you possibly have that give a car that much over another one with comparable miles Please do tell.

Like mine is a 95 Berlinetta 6 speed yellow black interior.

What other options other than color body type and transmission were you able to choose?

It all comes to the buyers preference cut and dry.

13. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris

Excellent synopsis Gerry.

We have pretty well determined that there are 2500 examples existing in North America , split amongst all the variants proportionally. In speaking for the NA market only, they are relatively rare cars if you really want what you want.

There are a lot of options out there car wise in the 50-80k range so even though they may seem relatively rare statistically, the buyers for them may not be beating the door down.

14. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Prescient :eek:

Robb likes this.
  15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Here is a short story that only happened a couple weeks ago. I did an engine out service on a 355 spider last year.

Customer decides to sell it this year. He sells the car for 83k Canadian. Car has 13k km on it, black tan 1997 MY. A week later a get a call from the buyer. He wants to sell the car. But you just bought it..why do you want to sell? Says the car is junk, worst thing he has ever owned (this car was anything but that..it was a a beautiful low milage all original machine).

I ask how much are you asking..he says I'll take 80k for it..I said no. Then he drops to 70k..i say no..then 65k no less. That's as low as I can go. So I sold it to a customer of mine for 65k. With in a matter of 2 weeks the guy took a 20k hit just to get out of the car.

After sniffing around.. turns out the twenty k hit was enough to get him out of whatever trouble he was in.. Strange times..

16. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Some newer buyers that acknowledge your experience will buy these cars thinking they're going to drive like a new Mercedes. They don't so their expectations get violated and they call them junk. The issue is of course the expectations are out of whack. It's a classic that means it's not going to drive and feel like new cars. It's quite simple but some people just don't get it.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

albert328gts likes this.
  17. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I have a newer Mercedes. I think my 355 drives nicer

taz355, Jasonberkeley and MAD828 like this.
  18. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The point was..cars can be sold at any price point. It seem the collector car market is full of folks who over pay, and also folks who manage to buy at extremely good prices. You can ask any price you want. But it's the actual selling price is the number you want to see. Places like ebay never show the sold number. It could be much lower then the asking.

19. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I hope my car never gets to be worth a million, I really don’t want to sell it.

Mike Morrissey likes this.