Official book collectors thread | Page 124 | FerrariChat

Official book collectors thread

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by lil squid, Jun 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #3076 Marcel Massini, Oct 22, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    I strongly recommend David Wheeler's sensational and really outstanding 250 GTE book from Porter Press. It came out two weeks ago.
    It really is impressive and a true labor of love. Such a book should have been published years ago already. It gives all GTE information needed and is very professionally done. A REAL book of excellent quality. I'd say the Wheeler GTE book is on the same level as Matthias Bartz' outstanding Dino Compendium, and, as we all know, that clearly raised the bar very high up and set a new standard, never seen before. This new GTE book is the REAL BIBLE.
    Congratulations to David Wheeler for an outstanding work.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Today I received my copy of 'Racing Trough Europe: The Motor Sport Photography of Brian Joscelyne' (Palawan Press). If you like Ferrari in Camera, you will enjoy this wonderful tome just as much. I'm deeply impressed!

seb333 likes this.
  3. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Still waiting for my GTE book to turn up but glad it's worth adding to my library.
    I have all the Porter Press Ferrari books which up till now have been chassis specific until this book arrived.
    Good to see they are doing more encompassing "bible" style books. Let's see what this one is like when it arrives.

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello from the Padova show.

Publication of the year last night at IHMA Octane awards in London: Weekend Heroes II.

of2worlds and gt4me like this.
  5. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell

If you have time later, I'd love to see any photos of the stands etc at Padova. Always fancied a visit to that show.

6. mechaniker

mechaniker Formula Junior
    Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
    Got mine today and I‘m really happy with it.

But Mr Massini, it is all about the numbers ;)

7. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Sorry, Mr. S., one of the copies I have is #62.

Marcel Massini

jpsf1uk and mechaniker like this.
  8. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    You must post a few photos of your amazing Ferrari literature collection... something for the rest of us to aspire to.

jpsf1uk, of2worlds, jm2 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Schultz

Schultz Karting

Mar 9, 2014
    Midwest
  10. seb333

seb333 Karting

Jul 30, 2009
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Seb
    Is it already available for dispatching? Or did you get it from a special source?

11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I am doing two separate articles, for Ferrari Market Letter in the USA and for a new magazine title to be launched in the Uk after the new year.

gt4me likes this.
  12. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Ordered it from the publisher.

seb333 likes this.
  13. Ames

Ames Rookie

Jun 10, 2010
    Portland, Maine
    Hello everyone, i have just started discovering the magical world of car books. Would anybody recommend Luciano Greggios books (Zagato, Touring, Pininfarina) ?

14. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Just a warning... once you discover motoring books your bank balance will never be the same again. :)

Nembo1777, of2worlds, jpsf1uk and 9 others like this.
  15. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    This book has just today won the Royal Automobile Club Motoring Book of the Year Award. Congratulations to author Richard Jenkins. Aside from the honor, it’s quite extraordinary that the book won, for several reasons.

First, this is Jenkins’s first book. It is from a publishing house not best known for this type of book. Third, the quality of the competition this year was exceptional. A book about a somewhat obscure American driver racing mostly Italian cars may not generate a lot of buzz inside the hushed premises of the RAC library, and as an object, the book is a bit of an underdog compared to the other five finalists, so some may say the book had little chance before the judges read a page. Fortunately, that is not the case.

The book really is a fine tribute to a man who fully deserved to have his story told. I believe this book would be enjoyed by anyone interested in Ferrari, Ginther or racing in the 1960s. Once again, congratulations to Richard Jenkins and Performance Publishing.

A video of the award presentation is at

http://www.royalautomobileclub.co.uk/motoring/motoring-news-and-reports/videos

franmort, 375+, jpsf1uk and 1 other person like this.
  16. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    That is true. First you start out on Hayes, then move on to McKlein and Porter Press, then to Palawan, and that's when your bank manager rings you up and asks WTF!!??

Rosey likes this.
  17. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    ... then you move on to Tachen and Opus !! :(

bloomberg likes this.
  18. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Maybe not, these are more 'bling, bling' than books.

Nembo1777, TTR, Lusso123 and 2 others like this.
  19. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I was taking the pi$$. :)

bloomberg likes this.
  20. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    So true! Total waste of $$$.

Marcel Massini

bloomberg, Rosey and 375+ like this.
  21. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Another great new book is "Superfinds", by Michael Kliebenstein, published by Porter Press, UK.
    Cost approx. GB Pounds £ 90 (or so, cannot remember anymore).
    This is a very kool photo book, virtually no text, except short captions. It has about nine hundred great photos of many classic cars discovered by former Italian insurance broker and classic car dealer Corrado Cupellini of Bergamo, Italy. Since the late 1960s and during the 1970s Cupellini has travelled the world and located virtually dozens of rare cars including many unique and some highly modified Ferraris.
    Very large format and heavy book with 420 pages. Fascinating pictures. Few Ferrari chassis numbers in the captions and a few are wrong but overall really a super publication. Highly recommended.
    No affiliation.

Marcel Massini

375+, -CD-, Ames and 5 others like this.
  22. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I just received my #499 and am still very happy with it - I did not yet read it thoroughly but it seems indeed of very high quality in all respects. I know nowadays it's possible to publish books in small quantities (whereas decades ago the publishing cost was the same up to relatively high numbers) but I really wonder why such awesome work would be limited to just 750 copies.

Rosey and stevewak like this.
  23. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Even at 750 well written and well researched copies, there is a chance they will still have a few sitting on the shelves at Porter Press for a while.
    Obviously book sales depends on the popularity of the subject matter.
    The 762 copy Miura Book sold out in days and was priced at three times the price.

bloomberg likes this.
  24. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
  25. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    That collection is beyond my ability to comprehend!
    It is what is commonly referred to OTT. But in a good way!!

Rosey, gt4me and Jack-the-lad like this.