488 - Remote exhaust valve with standard exhaust | FerrariChat

488 Remote exhaust valve with standard exhaust

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Jonny English, Oct 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jonny English

Jonny English Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2017
    Poole, Dorset
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I drove my 488 last night and it sounded fantastic at full chat. However it is a bit annoying how at lower revs and goes in and out of "loud" mode. Instead of fitting a new exhaust I'm now thinking of fitting a remote exhaust valve to the standard exhaust. Is it a plug and play device? any recommendations/ suggestions?

2. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    Yes, plug and play. I went with the one from Forza and love it although a lot of people use one from Capristo. Either is about a 2-3 hour install, either with the rear wheel well covers off or with the rear bumper off. You can also just unplug the vacuum lines and plug them with a golf tee or something similar but I like the ability to revert back to factory operation at the push of a button. Plenty of threads on this.

3. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

As said here many times before, simply unplug the bypass valves and enjoy the symphony throughout the entire RPM range.

scott61 and Cigarzman like this.
  4. Jonny English

Jonny English Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2017
    Poole, Dorset
    Full Name:
    Jon
    How do you do that?

5. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

The F dealer did mine at no charge. Disclaimer: I am mechanically challenged. Lol

6. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Plenty of threads on doing it here. It's an easy job that i have done myself on other cars but on the 488 rear diffuser needs to be dropped to get at it. Since would be a pain without a lift I had dealer do it, took just over an hour and cost a few hundred. Car now sounds great all the time, don't waste your money on a controller since you will never want to shut them

7. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    I have the Capristo valve system on my 458. I push the remote use once in a while just for kicks as the stock exhaust is excellent on its own. The car had it installed when I purchased it so......

8. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    If you bought your car from a dealer just get them to do it. Plug the air lines of add a controller. Controllers are cheap and you have the flexibility and let it run the way Ferrari designed it to work. Or like I did and Ferrari unplugged the values free of charge when i picked up my car.

At the end of the day it will be up to you. Discuss both options with the dealer. Which unit for a controller ? Flip a coin.