458 - How difficult is it to remove all of the sticky buttons? | FerrariChat

458 How difficult is it to remove all of the sticky buttons?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ekosan, Oct 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ekosan

ekosan Karting

Apr 25, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    ekosan
    #1 ekosan, Oct 27, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    Preface: I knew about sticky button issues with older cars like 360, 430, etc; however, when I was in the process of ordering the F8, I asked about that and the sales person said, "no...it's not an issue anymore." I might have even asked that when pivoting to the 458 Speciale.

Prior to purchasing the car, I saw pics of the HVAC and it looked pretty rough. I asked about it, and the sales person said, "Usually when it's an issue, the black comes off on your finger when you touch it..." Needless to say, almost everything, with the exception of the controls on the headliner, is tacky and some is downright worn off (the reverse button is mostly shiney plastic with a ring of goo on the circumference). The service manager said Ferrari's stance is to clean it to where it gets stripped off or I can send it to stickyrx. Estimated labor is 10 hrs at $265/hr to remove and reinstall the pieces (not including stickyrx's fees which appears to be around $8k...I guess one benefit to the Speciale is no glovebox controls or seat controls, eh?). My car will be up on a lift, sleeping away for the winter, so I'm inclined to remove the pieces myself and send it off. For those who have done it, are the whole modules sent (entire HVAC unit, steering wheel, etc)? Any links to writeups? I'm not shy about working on my cars and have replaced suspensions, clutches, set the timing on my M3, etc.

TIA!
    Chester

2. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I plan on doing the same this winter, but going with the middle road. I bet I can find someone to come to my house and do this for way less than $265/hr. The only question for me is Carplastix or StickyRX. For the life of me, I cannot understand StickyRx's prices. $400 for just the three PS/Auto/R buttons? But then $800 for the entire HVAC? I mean, $400 for three buttons (with lasering) seems outrageous, but the entire HVAC for $800 seems like a fair deal. Weird.

ekosan likes this.
  3. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    Well, I had the same issue. I just cleaned the the buttons with alcohol just to remove any surface dirt and I used a flat water based varnish
    brushed on and after 5 or six coats, no more sticky buttons and there is no residue or filminess.
    It worked for me and I am very happy with the result.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Free Money, Baitschev and ekosan like this.
  4. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    I forgot to mention that this can be obtained through Amazon.

5. ekosan

ekosan Karting

Apr 25, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    ekosan
    Yeah, I found the pricing a bit strange. Of course, I had the price sheet for a 458, so things might be different for the Speciale. For example, the fuel door and trunk switches: $400. Maybe it's different on the 458, but they are two afterthought buttons thrown onto the door card. I've seen their videos and it seems that each item is carefully placed in a vise instead of a jig being used to hold it in the same position every time to speed things along. I have a thought of seeing how difficult it would be to have all of these control surfaces machined out of billet and anodized. It wouldn't cost nearly as much as the price to refinish.

Rexcat458 likes this.
  6. VelocityTexas

VelocityTexas Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2019
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Do you have any before and after photos?

7. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    The price of Sticky RX correlates to their work.

I can’t speak for Sticky No More quality but I can say they have my directions on 458 button removal on their website. (Willingly gave it to them)

I am anal and went with Rx.

8. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    I do not have any before photos. The buttons were just sticky. They didn't look bad at all.
    So I am not sure whether this fix is good if you happen to be dealing with surface disintegration or what appears to be pitting in the rubber coating.
    I will take some pictures and post them.
    Again, I was not dealing with a really serious issue. It was just a matter of the buttons being irritatingly sticky.

9. VelocityTexas

VelocityTexas Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2019
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    My 458 has very, very little stickiness to the soft parts. I am on Maserati forums and folks are always looking for solutions there as well and wanted to know if this really works. If it does I'd share there too.

10. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I think if they are just sticky maybe just live with it.
    When they become opaque, then I’d use one the cleaning methods which will remove the surface coating but not disturb the letters or icons.

11. ferrariblue

ferrariblue Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Cody
    I have a '14 458 Italia and recently began treating my buttons to prevent a sticky type deterioration. Some surfaces were starting to get slightly "tacky". What I experimented as far as a solution with was very simple, it was Mineral Oil. I simply rubbed in the mineral oil with the tip of my fore finger. It returned the rubber to its normal feeling. Do not use cotton, etc. It worked well and the rubber absorbs the oil. It seems to act as a preservative to the rubber. I'm still testing / monitoring the effects and I'm still pleased. It's been about 4 to 5 months with good results.

ekosan, italiafan and Need4Spd like this.
  12. Chadly

Chadly Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2010
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Chad
    I just removed the coating completely myself on my F12. Buttons are shiny now but thank God I bought my car to drive it and not show it. I think climate has a huge impact on how bad they get. My 458 is 4 years older with triple the miles and it has zero sticky button issues but it spends most of its life in Philadelphia. My F12 "which the dealer sold me as a CPO" showed up with horrendous buttons. They were sticky and looked terrible. I guess they CPO the cars even with jacked buttons. The car spent its entire life in Florida. If you are patient and careful I think one could easily remove everything with out beating up the buttons like I did. I was in a hurry to get it off so I could enjoy the car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ekosan likes this.
  13. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    90% of the buttons and bezels are easy to remove. The toughest is the center menu button for the radio, whole dash has to come out. HVAC isnt as bad as I recall, just the glove box area and lower carpets. I removed them all myself a couple of years ago. If you work on clutches etc. it's easy for you. My handiness doesnt go beyond brake flush and oil changes

ekosan likes this.
  14. HBCarman

HBCarman Rookie

Dec 22, 2021
    Full Name:
    Eric Swindeman
    Dear Michaelo, has your varnish solution held up well since you posted this? I am asking as I plan to do the same. Thanks.

15. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Is it hot where you live??

16. HBCarman

HBCarman Rookie

Dec 22, 2021
    Full Name:
    Eric Swindeman
    Thanks Ferrariblue and craze. I just purchased a 2013. It’s life has been in AZ and Northern Cal. I am in So Cal. Mine are very dry slightly tacky. My impression is it will go bad almost anywhere over time. It’s not that hot here and most Ferraris seem to develop the problem that I see around here. I think heat just brings it faster maybe. Maybe I am wrong? I was thinking Michaelo’s solution would be a good way to seal off this material and preserve for the long run before it gets bad. Your solution seems good as well. It certainly seems easiest.

17. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    There has been no deterioration at all.
    I live in Tennessee, so the summers get pretty warm. However, I have a climate controlled garage. I also put at least ten thin coats of varnish over a few days so I am not expecting to have any problems for a while.
    I would thoroughly clean the surfaces before you apply the varnish. That process has been discussed in these forums and there seems to be a few product options.
    I would add that when you put the varnish on, the surface will look slightly different, which doesn’t ruin the look in my opinion.
    The inherent tackiness of the surface will be gone. For me, having to remove all of the pieces to be refinished seems too much trouble. But the company that does this is pretty incredible.

18. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    If you do that plan on keeping it a long time, the next owner will basically have to get all new buttons, that varnish cannot be removed ever without destroying the parts. Spend the money and do it right, it is a Ferrari, not a Toyota....

19. veelangs

veelangs Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2021
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Vee
    didn't realize i was responding to a sticky button sponsor, I'll respectfully withdraw my comments

20. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    It's still seems to be a Ferrari with the varnish. (-:

21. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Still also would be a Ferrari if you smeared doodoo on them, but hey whatever....

22. SDSferrari

SDSferrari Karting

Apr 2, 2014
    Southern California
    I'm not sure I would be taking your approach if I was trying to grow my business with all the prospective customers on here. Just sayin'.

23. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    I did exactly that last week and I intend to wash it in urine this week.
    By the way, I am kidding around. And as far as keeping the car, that is what I intend to do.
    If I decide to sell, I am sure there would be a discussion about this with the prospective buyer. But I would wait until I had
    that conversation to see if the buyer cared that much about preserving the original feel of the buttons or not.
    We aren't talking about a rare, multi-million dollar historic car that needs to be preserved perfectly in order to get top dollar.
    If and when I am ready to fix this problem, you will definitely get my business since you do stellar work.
    It is truly first rate!!!!!

24. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    When you remove with alcohol, are you removing the entire soft coating? Seems to me you'd have to. Does it leave a shiny button that looks ok but isn't sticky?

25. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I found a solution to sticky buttons on a Mercedes forum (apparently, they also suffer the sticky button issue).
    I have not tried it, but figured I would pass it along, because they were saying that it works better than alcohol, and also doesn't take off white lettering as easily as alcohol. It's called Dunlop 65, it is intended to clean guitar fret boards. Like I said, I never tried it, but I would love to hear the results from someone who is willing to experiment, lol

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002OOMW6/?coliid=I3DSSAGJGK3CN0&colid=S41A7QZI04LD&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Andrew Pour likes this.