Massive oil leak from the rear. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Massive oil leak from the rear.

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by HBstig, Oct 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I'm fairly sure I had the same done this year as an incidental finding. And wow, Rick's right on target, except I had it done at a dealer! On my invoice, the price per unit for DCT fluid and 75/90 gear oil were nearly exactly half of your per unit price; used 9 and 5 units, respectively. The total was around $4800. I really need to smooch my dealer the next time I'm there.

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    how many hours of labor did the note?

3. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Doesn't seem to say on the invoice. It says a total of $3420 for labor. I see 4+19. Maybe 19 hrs. For comparison, the annual service part shows $1553 for labor, and another repair shows $380 for labor of 2-2.5 hours. Maybe rate of $190/hr?

4. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I was quoted 2500 for the 8th annual service this year by dealer so seems about right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Yup, $2500...that was the exact amount for the total annual service for me, too!

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    #31 ttforcefed, Oct 27, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    Dealers up here are 280 an hour i think. Indes are 150

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Whats the cheapest anyone has had a dealer replace a ptu for?

8. Josephyuan

Josephyuan Rookie

Nov 23, 2021
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Joseph Y
  9. Josephyuan

Josephyuan Rookie

Nov 23, 2021
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Joseph Y
    It was discovered in my machnical workshop when I'm getting LED steering wheel installed ....so weird...I've been driving this for 6 months it was perfectly fine and just had dealer service one month ago as well.. it's a 2017 car... odd..hopefully dealer can get it sorted quickly , according to my own mechanician it happens a lot , it's most likely caused by the broken oil seal, but since I'm still covered under extended warranty, he suggested that I go with the ferrari process, which may requires the change of whole transmission shell assembly which could take months....frustrating...

10. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I had the middle transmission seal go on mine in Dec. 2019 on 2012 FF with 30k miles. It was a $15K repair covered by powertrain warranty. I now have 52k miles and no problems since

11. Josephyuan

Josephyuan Rookie

Nov 23, 2021
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Joseph Y
    Thanks , I'm thinking to change back the non-LED factory standard steering wheel to leave no excuse for the dealer to void my warranty lol

12. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I don't think the dealer can use it as an excuse unless he can prove changing the steering wheel caused the problem

Josephyuan likes this.
  13. HBstig

HBstig Karting

Nov 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    HBstig
    The rear leak is for DCT transmission. The front leak would be for PTU.
    DCT transmission has hundreds of seals and Ferrari does not find and fix the broken seal. They rebuild the whole transmission and the cost is $48k.
    Trust me I used every possible argument in my case and still ended up paying for the rebuild.

14. Carl A

Carl A Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 11, 2021
    Surrey U.K.
    Full Name:
    Carl Abernethy
    Sorry to hear that and good luck with getting the repair done well.

15. Josephyuan

Josephyuan Rookie

Nov 23, 2021
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Joseph Y
    So it would be at Ferrari dealer's discretion see whether or how they would honour the NEW POWER extended warranty.

16. Eric360

Eric360 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    When I read the factory extended warranty, it specifically says it doesn't cover leaks. And says it in many places. But maybe they will cover it?

17. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    That's the thing about warranty...too much fine prints not covering this and that.

18. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    #44 ANOpax, Feb 16, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
    That’s a bit bizarre. You could buy and fit a new DCT for less than $48k so it makes no sense to rebuild one if that’s what you were charged.

A new gearbox from Eurospares is $22k. And the DCT speed sensor strip down and rebuild only costs $8-10k at Ferrari and it too involves a drop, rebuild and refit.

Gwagman04 and Carl A like this.
  19. Josephyuan

Josephyuan Rookie

Nov 23, 2021
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Joseph Y
    Dealer told me today it would be Ferrair HQ's judgement on whether it's covered or not, I will have an answer by two weeks, fingers crossed.

F12HeartThrob likes this.
  20. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Which warranty did you buy after the 3 years? Extended OEM or Power?

21. Josephyuan

Josephyuan Rookie

Nov 23, 2021
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Joseph Y
    It's under the yr 7 power

22. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    I doubt a brand new DCT unit can cost $ 22K. Or maybe that's a price without VAT? Eurospares have many used ones, maybe it's a price for a used one with exchange for your broken one?

By the way, there is an italian company , called Tecnotrasmissioni, that has many used Ferrari DCT gearboxes for good prices.

23. Josephyuan

Josephyuan Rookie

Nov 23, 2021
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Joseph Y
    Quick update .

It was covered under the extended warranty , I got the full transmission shell body replaced, parts flew in from Italy and installation all within one month , got the car last night ,it's working again !!!

Extend warranty is Totally worth it !

Didn't pay a penny .

Quackers and Makuono like this.
  24. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Thanks for the Tecnotrasmissioni recommendation.
    You’re correct that the Eurospares price excludes VAT as Americans don’t pay VAT (depending on which state they’re in).

rumen1 likes this.