348 - Market speculation 348 | FerrariChat

348 Market speculation 348

Discussion in '348/355' started by Austin Newman, Oct 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Austin Newman

Austin Newman Karting

Dec 18, 2019
    Memphis
    Full Name:
    Austin Newman
    Hey everyone,

I currently have a 308 and have been eyeing up the 348s. Seems to be quite a car for the value these days. I understand they are quite a car and may just kinda got lost in the sauce when they came out but be a great bargin now a-days. Whats the word on these and how is the maintainability on these compared to a 308?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Maintainability is about the same labor wise, similar issues mainly due to time and component wear but I suspect 348 is more reliable. You have to drop the motor to change belts on a 348 so that's new for you.

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The ones to have are later years spiders, the Serie Speciale (348 SS) and the Factory Challenge.

4. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Faced with the same choices, I chose a Euro car. All 348s are 25 years old now, so that even means you could get a tall plenum car--GTS/GTB, both of which are super rare. So, feel free to expand your scope while searching.

ATLdoghouse likes this.
  5. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    No arguing the 308 is a better looking car with those iconic sensual lines, but if you can find a 348 to test drive you will find (in my experience) it's a great leap forward in interior design, drivability, handling and power. As mentioned above the big bugaboo with the 348 is the engine subframe drop every 5 years for the cam belt and tensioner change. It's not that difficult to do yourself, but it's a whole lot more than the easy access on the 308 series. If you take it to a Ferrari dealer for the work it will not be cheap. If you peruse the 348/355 forum you'll find there are some weak points on the 348, but in general they seem to be pretty reliable cars. There are only 3 computers in the car; 1 for ABS and 2 for engine management. There's no power steering, adjustable suspension or power top to go wrong and they are pretty easy to work on.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

albert328gts, QSA and 348steve like this.
  6. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

I wouldn't rush to sell a well sorted 308/328 for a 348. For me, the 308/328's are more "classic" and the 348 is kinda stuck in the middle before the last of the great classics, the 355.

348's/355's are fairly simple to work on, especially when you get to know them, but geeze do they have some old school electrics in them that can drive you insane.

Thankfully they are pretty well known and there's some really good forum members on here who can assist if you run into any trouble.

All in all I don't think they're a bad buy, but I'm not sure I'd be rushing into one if 'investment grade' is what you're thinking.

7. Michael_Davis

Michael_Davis Karting

Aug 17, 2020
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Michael Davis
    I would. 308/328s are hitting a value plateau. I'd cash it out and buy a later 348 in a heartbeat. It's a much better driving car, and is finally starting to see some price appreciation. Bolt a set of 360 wheels on it and it handles like a go-kart. The extra 100-ish horsepower will put a leer on your face. Find a Spider and drop the top. It'll change your life.

surfwolf and albert328gts like this.
  8. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

I guess I'm coming from the perspective of already owning a 355. The 348 doesn't have a huge amount of appeal to me, but a really nice 328 on the other hand I'd very happily have alongside the 355.

The 348 sort of fits in the middle there somewhere, kinda in no mans land for me.

9. allandwf

allandwf Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2011
    Scotland UK
    The ones to have are the ones that YOU want. :) I have always preferred the shape of the coupe over the Spider, but it's a personal thing.

kryten2001 likes this.
  10. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

Couldn't agree more. I'd have a spider 308/328, a coupe 348/355, a spider 360 (but only under torture, sorry 360 owners), and I could go either way on a spider or a coupe for a 430/458.

Buy what moves you, ignore what others have to say.

11. Austin Newman

Austin Newman Karting

Dec 18, 2019
    Memphis
    Full Name:
    Austin Newman
    Who said i was going to sell the 308... id like to build the collection. Anyone know of anyone looking to sell a well sorted 348 TB. I need it to be red/tan with a hard top roof.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. JasonS

JasonS Karting

Sep 5, 2019
    Green, OH
    Full Name:
    Jason Stropki
    Bought my '91 348TS a year ago and have had a blast, put about 2500 miles on it. I bought it knowing it needed an engine out service. Did my research, paid $6K for the service at a well known independent, and have come to the conclusion that it will be an every 8 year thing (my wife says I am not allowed to sell the car, haha). I've also easily been able to diagnose and handle any quirks that came up with the help of the forum, and work on it myself (such as a failed fuel pressure regulator). I always wanted a 348. Not sure why but the styling is my thing. I knew a guy with a 308 and another with a 328. I love those cars too and hope to add one to the garage someday (opposite of your situation right?). It was very fortuitous for me that these cars are such a relatively great bargain. The overall feel and driving experience is a notch up over the 308, just my opinion of course, so I really don't think you would have any disappointment whatsoever. Happy hunting!

allandwf likes this.
  13. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Interesting. For me, the 348 was absolutely it. The last burly Ferrari before they went soft. The original design by Fioravanti. The original design greenlit by il Commendatore himself. The car that kicked off the more modern engine configuration revolution at Ferrari--a configuration that continues to this day. The car that kickstarted the Ferrari Challenge. And I like the interior MUCH better than the 355--specifically the center console, HVAC controls, and the instrument cluster. That font...that orange. Absolutely awesome. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the 355. But I love the 348. The only thing I'd like from the 355 is the extra 1000rpm.

surfwolf, albert328gts and Robb like this.
  14. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Red on tan? That'd be what....70% of the 348s sold in the US? haha. 80% of them were red.....you should be able to find one. Or, get a little more adventurous and try to find a special combination. :)

albert328gts likes this.
  15. Michael_Davis

Michael_Davis Karting

Aug 17, 2020
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Michael Davis
    Back in Black! (on black, on black Spider!)

16. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    hah. Even black is too common on a 348. I was thinking even more adventurous than that. hahaha.

albert328gts likes this.
  17. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
  18. 348TN

348TN Karting

Oct 14, 2020
    Chattanooga TN
    Full Name:
    Full Name
    Fonz at J Scuderia priced a full major engine out on a 348 at $4600 (starting)...add in the full major and the current average price of these cars, along with the analog mid-engine raw Ferrari driver experience ... can’t imagine these will be obtainable for long.

albert328gts likes this.
  19. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

I dunno if that's normal pricing for people in the US, but even when converted into our local pacific peso (AUD), that's a very solid price.

We routinely pay over AUD$10-12k down here for a major on a 348/355. Mine's "due" next year, I'm thinking I might push it out for a 5 year interval. Modern belts are pretty good and my car doesn't get a lot of driving.

348TN likes this.
  20. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    I've got a LHD Euro spec November 1992 TB, most of the niggly issues are sorted mid 1992 and on.... The engine out is not a big deal, Ferrari designed it to be done this way, its actually pretty straight forward.
    The 348 is an incredibly rewarding and fun car to drive you can't go wrong if you get a good one. I would say they are a pretty reliable car to be honest.

21. barada

barada Karting

Jul 12, 2007
    Did exactly that and have been super happy. Keep the original Wheels in the basement.Super fun car to play with.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. 348TN

348TN Karting

Oct 14, 2020
    Chattanooga TN
    Full Name:
    Full Name
    Where did you get the wing shields? Stick on or bolt on? Have a link or source? Like them?

23. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    About every 348 I have seen has them, mine does. They are factory bits you can order.. There are however knockoffs out there for a fraction of the price. Just google for the knock offs they come up or check parts diagrams for OEM.

24. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    My 348 Factory Challenge does not have those fender shields. Many other 348 in the states do not have them. I will not put stick-on shields on my cars.

Michael_Davis and Bertil like this.
  25. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Fender shields were not on the 348 from factory. You can a) put the oem plastic ones on, b) get aftermarket enamel ones and take your chance on quality, or c) as a few have done take the front wings of and either have the recessed beaten in or fit 355 wings with the recesses and then fit oem enamel shields. Must admit with the tend on new cars for painted shields, I’m waiting for this to trickle down.

Seems to be only the UK that has sensible pricing on servicing; but the cost does creep up as you add all the other little jobs that need doing to a car of this age.