355 - Brake accumulator | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 Brake accumulator

Discussion in '348/355' started by cheungchoyui, Oct 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sbeni

Sbeni Rookie

Mar 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Beni Stefano
    It is a mondial 3.2 with abs

2. Sbeni

Sbeni Rookie

Mar 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Beni Stefano
    I didnt top my New accumulator with brake fluid, Should i take it off and put more brake fluid in and Re-install!?!?

3. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    No, it is not possible to put any brake fluid into the accumulator. It has a diaphragm inside, pre-pressurised (80 Bar) with nitrogen from top and, when the accumulator is removed (after releasing the fluid under pressure from it) there is no space into which to pour any fluid. The only way fluid can be pushed in is by the high pressure (ABS) pump.

I understand (according to one of your earlier posts) that, after the first try with a new unit, you put back the old accumulator and got 3 brake pedal pumps before the ABS pump kicked in. If this is correct, then there could be something wrong with the new accumulators. If they are old stock, some nitrogen might have leaked out which would cause the behaviour that you are experiencing with them.

To check whether the new accumulator is good or not, pump the brake pedal 20+ times with ignition completely off to empty the accumulator. Then switch the ignition to ACC (or to ON if it is the case on the Mondial) and listen to the ABS pump running (charging the accumulator) until it is switched off. If I remember well, it should take about 15 sec. from switch-on until the pump stops. If this time is much shorter with the new accumulator, then there is something wrong with it. You can also do the same test with the old accumulator and compare the charging times.

4. Sbeni

Sbeni Rookie

Mar 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Beni Stefano
    Hallo, I tested the new accumulator and it take 6 seconds only. The new accumulator has a problem probarbly.
    Thanks

5. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
  6. Sbeni

Sbeni Rookie

Mar 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Beni Stefano
    I bought it in italy , autoricambi d’epoca. It is the second that they send me. The price was 350€
    I hope that he take it back and try to find one in another place

7. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Can you post a picture of it?

8. Sbeni

Sbeni Rookie

Mar 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Beni Stefano
  9. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That appears to be a "compatible" one of unknown manufacture. I'd stick to the actual Jag or Delco part numbers.

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That does not look like the original one I have seen.

11. Sbeni

Sbeni Rookie

Mar 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Beni Stefano
  12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Buy a used Jaguar pump with accumulator, and a mounting kit from a member on here. Then replace the whole thing.

13. Sbeni

Sbeni Rookie

Mar 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Beni Stefano
  14. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    A funny looking thing, not like the Ferrari or Jaguar ones.

According to the manual, you should get 4-6 power assisted brake actions when the pump is completely off (static) and it is at the point when it should be switched on. It does not say how many strokes between the pump off and on again. Just checked on my 348 which has a new Jaguar bomb (a few hundred km ago) and I got 6-7 pedal strokes at medium breaking force. However, I have s/s braided brake hoses so they may add a stroke as they do not "balloon" like the rubber ones. So, it appears that your old bomb with 3 strokes needs to be replaced but not urgently. In my case, a few months ago, I suddenly got a lot of air in the brake pipe going to the back. I could hear a "squish" sound from the back every time I pressed the brake and the ABS pump was coming on every one stroke. Seems that the rubber diaphragm inside the bomb ruptured and released the nitrogen into the rear circuit. After replacing the bomb, I had to "nitrogen-bleed" the brakes.

It might be the case that the bomb you got is actually for a hydroboost brake/steering system. Hydroboost uses a similar looking bomb but it cannot be used for the Teves system. Hydroboost bombs work with steering flud (ATF) so their rubber diaphragm may not last long when working with brake fluid. Also, the hydroboost hydraulic systems work at lower pressure than Teves so their bombs are probably pre-pressurised with nitrogen at lower pressure which would cause frequent ABS pump coming on, like what you are experiencing.

Extract from the 348 manual:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Sbeni

Sbeni Rookie

Mar 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Beni Stefano
    Thanks for information. Is it possible to recharge the old accumulater? Are specific Society that do this?

16. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    No, not the ones for the Teves brake system. And there would be no point as it is the rubber diaphragm inside that deteriorates over time which causes nitrogen leak.

I have read that some accumulators can be recharged but, if I remember well, it was the hydroboost ones. Your new accumulator looks like it is rechargeable with that threaded thing on its top.

17. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I believe this is what you bought from Autoricambi D’epoca:

Appear to be made in China. The thing on top seems to be for charging the accumulator with nitrogen. I can see that it says "Fill the diaphragm with nitrogen only" as if suggesting that these come with some initial nitrogen fill but are to be further charged to the pressure as required for a particular application. Looks like they are actually universal accumulators.

I have read that there are companies that have equipment and recharge these (search the net). The nitrogen is pre-pressurised to 80 Bar for the 348. However, I would stay far away from these if they are China made (they probably are because of the English "fill the diaphragm..." - you don't fill the diaphragm, you pre-pressurise the accumulator.

Sbeni likes this.
  18. Sbeni

Sbeni Rookie

Mar 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Beni Stefano
  19. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    He cut the china inscription !!! Good try.

MAD828 likes this.
  20. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Generic china made anything is a BIG no no on these cars, like the knock off MAF's.

21. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Those MAFs do not work .... at all.

22. Sbeni

Sbeni Rookie

Mar 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Beni Stefano
    MAF’s, what means?

23. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    MAF is Mass Air Flow sensor and has nothing to do with ABS.

Sbeni likes this.
  24. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That is correct, they don't, apparently their ABS accumulators don't either.

25. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    It's a shame that Autoricambi D’epoca, supplying parts for Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Maseratis etc. is trying to sneak-in China made knock-offs. One example of China made accumulator that can be ordered through Alibaba:

I have earlier seen MAF knock-offs on Alibaba (for Volvo 940, basically same as the 348 MAF-s) at USD 7 (not a typing error) if you order 100 pieces. Then you sell them on Ebay at USD 50-100 or even more.