Prius Prime Questions: Is it really getting 40 mpg? | FerrariChat

Prius Prime Questions: Is it really getting 40 mpg?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by bitzman, Oct 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I have been driving a borrowed Prius Prime and it's revelation but for me I couldn't use it in the way it is intended. For one thing I live in an apt. No way to run a charge line to it. Why not go to a kiosk? I have a flip phone, can't load an app to bill for a charge. So I drive it on the ic engine. It has gone an amazing amount of miles since I picked it up three days ago. I have driven over 400 miles and still has a 1/8th of a tank of gas left. The display said I am getting 40 mpg but when i first picked it up, fully charged, I was getting 200 mpg. but it uses up that electrical reserve in only 40 miles if you run it electric only. I found myself driving like a little old lady (I am married to an 84 year old so I know that type)--really slow and steady so that I don't go into the red zone on the curve on the dash that tells you if you are in electric only, a combination of electric and internal combustion or all internal combustion. which indicates you are using the gasoline engine only. And it has a CVT transmission which does not give any thrill on acceleration. I think for an enthusiast. this car is a capitulation to the machine, you either drive it timidly or are branded (by the machine) as a "bad boy" who drives in the red zone (internal combustion engine).

Finally I myself own a 2020 Nissan Versa which would never have gone the same distances (from Ontario to Malibu and back plus from Ontario to Lake Arrowhead (which involves driving up an 8,000 ft, mountain) and back and from Ontario to Yucaipa and back) In short, so far I have over 400 miles without requiring a refill (or in this case a gasoline refill and electric charge) so mileage wise it is far superior to my manual shift Versa.
    But where my Versa costs only $17,000 this Prius Prime costs $27,900 or almost $11,000 more (but you can subtract $7500 because you get a tax credit for buying electric) So if I didn't have that rebate, I wonder how many years I'd have to drive it before it pays off that extra purchasing price?

In sum, it's a revelation of how much further I can travel in this Prius than in my Versa but I am afraid buying one would change my driving habits so much you can take away any enthusiast credentials I have left....

The picture: Your eyes are rooted to this curve on the dash. Now this driver is a good boy, he has a little bit of blue showing (at the bottom of the curve)which indicates he is in charge mode, which happens when you let off the gas pedal and roll or are going downhill, But you can never charge up enough through regenerative braking to make overnight charging necessary.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    On the freeway, I get +40mpg on my Chevy Cruze. It's an automatic and really has no business being as comfortable and useful as it is. And the steering may not have any feel, but there is zero slop in it.
    Bonus: 12,345 miles!

[​IMG]

3. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I just don't get the appeal.

Wife & I just did a trip down to Punta Gorda, FL (from NC) and back in her Toyota Corolla. Not a "hybrid," just a plain old ICE gas engine & we averaged over 38 mpg for the trip. We DON'T drive like old ladies, and spent plenty of time on the highway at 80+ mph.

Heck, back in the day 1986/1987 timeframe , my buddy had a Honda CRX si & would get a TRUE 50+ mpg average - and he drove that thing like a go kart!

BJK likes this.
  4. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    The cars back then weigh a lot less which really help with gas mileage, especially with in town driving. My Wife has a little Suzuki SX4 and it’s a small car, less than 14’ long. It weighs a couple of hundred pounds more (3200) than my 92 Mustang with a V8 weighs. Not sure about the CRX but the Geo Metro weighed just a little over 2000 lbs.

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    When I used to fly regularly and rent cars, I was surprised at how hard it was to avg over 39mpg in cars like a Versa or Elantra with long distance highway driving. I suppose those small engines really need to work hard to keep that speed going. For comparison, I used to drive an E38 (4.4L V8) up and down the FL turnpike early 2000s and avg low 30s mpg. I guess those big BMWs are good at keeping highway speeds at low RPM. 93 octane probably helped unlike the 91 crap here on the west coast I have to deal with.

6. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    with available 8 and 10 speed tranny's (with 2 or 3 overdrive gears!) and gas around $2 dollars a gallon???!!! NO APPEAL! :)