Sold - Military HMMWV Humvee | FerrariChat

Sold Military HMMWV Humvee

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by J-P, Oct 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. J-P

J-P Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2007
    The ultimate Urban Assault Vehicle!!!...or, the ultimate burger-and-shake getter!!

I've reluctantly decided to sell our beloved HMMWV (I'll call it a Humvee for simplicity). It has been a blast to cruise around town with the kids to grab an ice cream, burgers, go to football practices, Trunk-or-Treats, etc. Alas, they are starting to grow too "old" to hang out so much with dad, and are becoming more interested in their friends and social schedules. I knew this day was coming, but not so soon!

This is about as close as one might ever get to a nut-and-bolt restored or brand new Humvee, which are no longer being made for Uncle Sam. Pretty much everything was made brand new over a two year restoration period completed in 2017. About a thousand or so very easy miles have been put on since then. This has been a toy to enjoy with the kids (and dog, who likes it more than anyone else) and has never been off-roaded or abused.

Over that two year period the following was done:

1. Correct remanufactured 6.5 liter NA diesel crate motor from Melton Industries (meltons.com).
    2. Correct remanufactured transmission and transfer case from Melton.
    3. Reman larger capacity 200 amp alternator from Melton.
    4. NEW military NOS front and rear differentials
    4. NEW improved version of the military's diesel glow and electronic control system.
    5. All NEW suspension, u-joints, bearings, hardware, etc.
    6. 12v and 24v power systems on the radio deck with power receptacles, USBs, Garmin mount, speakers, ipod input, dome light, unused/open switch positions, etc.
    7. NEW BF Goodrich tires on AM General Hummer wheels. Makes sourcing tires easier, as MIL-SPEC tires are not standard. MIL-SPEC bead-lock wheels are available all day long if you want them.
    8. NEW LED lighting system and light bar.
    9. NEW Warn winch, with baseplate to mount on front or rear hitch, remote trigger, and power cable.
    10. NEW seats.
    11. REAL ballistic X-doors and glass. Hard to get, as these are usually removed as part of the de-militarization process.
    12. NEW steering wheel and column.
    13. NEW brake master cylinder, brakes, and lines.
    14. NEW day/night television camera system.
    15. NEW red-top Optima batteries.
    16. Electircal cut-off master.
    17. NEW wiring, belts, hoses, fan, fan clutch, etc.
    18. Installed FAA-spec 4-place aviation headset and intercom system.

In essence, a near-new vehicle and way too much to list.

It was inspected, certified as a passenger highway-use vehicle, and provided a civil VIN by the CHP. I keep it titled and actively registered in California, but it is garaged in Texas (DFW). It is California smog-EXEMPT FOREVER, with a clear California title. If it is good in the PRC (People's Republic of California), it should be good anywhere.

We brought it with us when we fled the PRC, and it has been easier to just keep it titled and registered there. The DMV dutifully sends me the renewal every year. It was very easy and inexpensive to ship. I booked it as a standard Hummer H-1 with the shipper and had no issues with door-to-door delivery.

Engine, trans, drive-train, etc. are all standard GM stuff that was used on production vehicles. All the parts for the entire vehicle are plentiful and cheap. It just received a synthetic oil service, which was done at my local Chevy dealer. How's that for easy!

It is ready to go and needs nothing. Fires up instantaneously every time, and always garaged.

Awesome vehicle for family fun, beach or vacation house, hunting ranch, etc. Heavy-duty aluminum chassis makes it pretty much impossible to rust. Needless to say, it is HIGHLY-capable off-road, can climb near-vertical walls, run underwater with a snorkel system, and is ideal for meetings with local ANTIFA thugs (again, family fun).

I have a few spare items I will include, along with the Warn winch, military spare tire and wheel, three aviation intercom headsets, a 24-volt Battery Tender, and whatever else I forgot I have.

Asking $29k obo. I doubt you would be able to come close to duplicating this for the price. Happy to help on my end with your shipper.

Might consider a partial trade with some cash on my end for an air-cooled 911 turbo (or regular 911), or if you have something interesting.

Thanks for looking.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

crinoid and cgt000 like this.
  2. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Nice rig! I love nothing more than the fond memory of smashing my knees getting into these. 6’ 210, with body army, and FBL doesn’t fit well. All else will be fine! :) GLWS!

phrogs likes this.
  3. J-P

J-P Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2007
  4. J-P

J-P Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2007
    Thank your for your service! Been there.

willcrook and 19633500GT like this.
  5. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    thank you too! We both know what they’re capable of. Someone will get a nugget!

6. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Nice GSD.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  7. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    That is sooooo cool!

8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    does Scooby come with it?

Mang likes this.
  9. J-P

J-P Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2007
    #10 J-P, Oct 25, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    Thanks. He is a lot of fun, but certifiably insane. In the pic showing the engine, he’s soaking wet, as he just got out of the pool on a 50 degree day and decided to come check on me. My kids are at the age that I have a hard time getting them in the pool. I can’t keep him out. He’s my fur-missile SEAL dog.

He is already mad enough at me for deciding to sell his favorite ride. Luckily, he’s happy in the Excursion or our DD. He’s a keeper!

GuyIncognito and Gh21631 like this.
  10. nikojo

nikojo Karting

Apr 18, 2008
    Midwest
    Love it.

How fast does it go? Trying to see if it will be a challenge getting to and from some properties via highway. I understand long distance wouldn't be ideal. But what is is a reasonable 'crusing' speed on the highway?

Also who did all the mechanical work? Do you have pictures of that?

What year is the chassis and is there a model number?

11. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    I’m very interested. I’m in California and need to find a way to get it here. I’ll PM you my number

12. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

This is likely a stupid question, but....does it have heat? ;)

13. J-P

J-P Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2007
    60-65 MPH is reasonable, so no issues driving on the freeway. The intercom system is fantastic. It makes higher speed drives very quiet and allows for easy conversation with your “crew”. This wasn’t a photo-documented Classiche resto, LOL. Other than it being in need of a bit of a wash right now, it is clearly evident upon examination how clean this thing is. Pretty much everything was done bumper-to-bumper. The CAD plating is still present on the hardware, etc.

The model is an M998, MY 1994 off the top of my head. I will check the build plate later to see if it lists any other details.

Pretty much any auto shipper can do it. Dimensionally, it is the same as the civilian AM General H1 Hummer. Not a plug for them, but I happened to use Montway in this particular instance.

Yes, there is heat. You can also add AC if you want. I was going to do it, but putting the windows down seemed to work well enough.

14. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    Sent a PM

15. J-P

J-P Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2007
    Pending.

Re-entering the fray against the Imperial powers of the PRC!

Godspeed.

Gle8 likes this.
  16. J-P

J-P Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2007
    Sold.

f355spider and Whisky like this.