Thinking of a 458 from a 12c – anyone local to CO? | FerrariChat

Thinking of a 458 from a 12c – anyone local to CO?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Forza1, Oct 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    Hi, I'm thinking of selling my McLaren 12C and getting a 458 but not sure if I will like the experience, and I can't find any locally– is there anyone in the Denver/Boulder area with a 458 willing to show their car and take me for a ride? Happy to lend you the keys to my 12c. PM me

2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The 458 is a truly fantastic car. I have never driven a 12C, but the 458 experience is hard to beat. Based on what I have seen online regarding the 12C, I would also say the 458 is probably a little more reliable car overall.

One thing about the 458 is that it takes a while to really fully fall in love with it. You have to own and drive it for a few months to really start to appreciate how amazing it is. I'm not sure just a quick drive around the block and/or over the weekend would really give you a true picture into that.

Have you owned any previous Ferraris? The 458 is a lot like a computerized 360 w/ a manual gearbox. It also has some of the fun elements of the 355, but sort of on a larger, more comfortable scale.

Ray

3. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I think Rob says it best, regarding the 12C:

The 458 is pretty much rock solid in my experience - especially with a Braille i48CS battery upgrade.

Ray

4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Off topic...the battery, really worth it for $2400?

IloveGT likes this.
  5. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Oh my gosh, yes. The electronics on the 458 work so much better with the slightly higher voltage of the i48CS.

After my experience with the 458 + the i48CS, I would never have a 458 again without upgrading to the Braille battery. I even run the Braille G30 battery in my 1990 Toyota Pickup! :)

Ray

6. Troy Slinkard

Troy Slinkard Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 26, 2018
    Evergreen, Colorado
    You are welcome to drive mine. I'm in Evergreen.

I took Ray's advice and bought the Braille battery a year ago.

RayJohns likes this.
  7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    What was your experience since switching to the Braille? Did you go with the i48CS or the i48CX?

Ray

8. Troy Slinkard

Troy Slinkard Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 26, 2018
    Evergreen, Colorado
    I got the i48cs. I haven't plugged the car in since the Braille was installed. Voltage never moves when sitting for days or weeks.

RayJohns likes this.
  9. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Seriously! I have to plug in the 458 EVERY minute. I thought, how would I drive it away for a week and park at BigSur etc not plugged in? Wouldn’t be able to drive home. Frickin Ferrari.

10. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Yeah, same experience here. With the i48CS, I never once used any sort of tender. I actually sold the factory battery tender for like $300 on ebay haha.

Even after sitting for a week, the car fired up like it had a brand new battery in it every time.

Ray

IloveGT likes this.
  11. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Yeah, with the i48CS you can leave the car parked for usually up to around 8 to 10 days and not have to worry at all - no tender, no charger nothing. I never turned the alarm on, but I doubt that would matter all that much. It fires up like you have a brand new battery installed, even after a week of sitting.

Never have to worry about the car not starting and/or going some place and wondering if it will be dead when you come out after leaving it parked over the weekend, etc.

With the number of 458's you buy and sell, you should have definitely get yourself the i48CS - it's life changing as far as how well the 458 electronics function, not to mention making the whole battery tender BS stuff a thing of the past.

Ray

dustman likes this.
  12. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Same with the antigravity battery! No issues yet at all... haven’t used the tender in 3 months!

SV

RayJohns likes this.
  13. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I’ve had my 458 Spider two years, and curious about all these battery and electronic voltage problems people report. I replaced one Interstate battery so far (third owner, so not sure how old the Ferrari battery was that I replaced).

For $250, and a battery that lasts three years, I don’t get it. I don’t get any whacky behavior that show up in the displays at all.

We’re on a two week super-duper fall road trip through 5 states and I left the charger behind.....then again we’ve driven 1,500 miles since last Saturday, LOL!

To the OP: I’ve really pressure tested the 458 this past week on some of the best mountain roads in the southeast. The 458 will not disappoint you, whatever you decide.

14. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    As long as you drive all the time, it's usually fine - especially if the battery is good quality and relatively new (only a couple of years ago). But give it a bit longer and when the battery starts to get long in the tooth, you'll eventually hit the wall and when you least expect it, no start.

Ray

15. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    stooopid!!! hahaha, but I love it!

RayJohns likes this.
  16. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Don’t know if you are in for an Italia or a spider but Ferrari of Denver has a spider in the showroom now. May be worth your time to give them a call - Derek Fennig is a great guy - and take a look at her, after the snow melts!

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    You wish your Ferrari was as dialed in as my pickup truck lol:)

Ray

nero corsa and IloveGT like this.