Novitec springs & Novitec exhuast 488 | FerrariChat

Novitec springs & Novitec exhuast 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Senna2394, Oct 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Senna2394

Senna2394 Karting

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    Yousof
    How many hours should it take for a shop to install Novitec springs?
    Something important they need to have in mind when lowering a 488?

How many hours to install a Novitec exhuast?

2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    You should search "stuck lower spring perch" just for fun :)

To properly do all four corners, I would say probably 6 hours give or take. It depends on if they have done it before. If so, maybe 4 (about an hour per strut).

As far as the exhaust, again a lot depends if you have done it before or not. You have to pull the rear bumper off and the under panel stuff, which is sort of a hassle. That's an hour right there, especially if you are not rushing. Removing the old exhaust isn't too horrible, but are you doing cats also or just the exhaust? The newer cars (e.g. 458, 488, etc.) don't suffer from the alignment issues on the tail pipe tips like the older cars, such as the 360. That tends to make life a little easier.

But to do a nice job on the exhaust, I would think probably 3-ish hours. Maybe 4 hours?

Again, a lot depends on how often the people doing this job have done this job previously. The first time is always the slowest.

My main concern would be how proficient the people working on the coilovers are, as this can be a very dangerous area to work on if you are a moron. There are a number of cases where people end up getting the aluminum spring perch locked up so bad that you basically have to just throw the coilover away and buy a new one. There was just a thread about this last month; if you search a bit, you should be able to locate it in the 458/488 forum. I'm not sure what the final outcome was, but I think the factory coilover bit the dust if I recall correctly.

Ray

ItalianexoticsMIA and mdrums like this.
  3. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I have no idea what you are talking about... lol ;-) Actually I posted that I’m all fixed up now. They cut the top stuck perch off cleaned tapped the threads and now either a stock perch or the Novitec perch spins up and down the shock threaded collar no problem.

RayJohns likes this.
  4. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    oh that's good to hear! :) Glad they got it all sorted out.

Ray

mdrums likes this.
  5. Senna2394

Senna2394 Karting

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    Yousof
    The Novitec springs comes with new perch right?
    So the shop needs to remove the OEM ones.

All the "stuck perch" threads has scareed me to let a shop install my novitec springs.

6. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    You should definitely be a little cautious in this department; just ask mdrums. Myself, I would get something upfront in writing which states that any issues with stuck perches and/or damaged threads is their responsibility. I'd also find out how many times they have done this sort of job before. As mentioned on that one thread with mdrums, how you undo the collar/perch is very important. If they just think WD40 is all that you need, they are missing part of what needs to happen during unthreading.

Ray

7. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    I would start with an exhaust valve controller if you haven't yet.

I wouldn't do the muffler without the downpipes. It's a spiral from there as you'll likely need something to clear the CELs you'll start to get.

The Novitec Power Optimized Flap Regulated exhaust is pointless by itself. Don't let any of the resellers convince you otherwise.

8. Senna2394

Senna2394 Karting

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    Yousof
    Bought the Novitec flap regulated exhuast used. Will buy a forza controller I think and allways drive whit the flaps open :)

9. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Senna2394 likes this.
  10. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    The top perch collar on the rears is replaced. Front use stock perch collars and rear uses stock bottom collar

11. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    This! Only use a shop that’s done these before...verify they’ve done this.... Senna, where do you live? Somebody here may know who to use for this

12. Senna2394

Senna2394 Karting

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    Yousof
    Sweden.
    I found a shop here who has installed these before.

13. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The key point they need to understand is that the perch and locking collar need to turn opposite directions as the exact same moment - otherwise one or the other will usually drag a little bit and end up damaging the threads at the point where everything is pinched together in there. I use two spanners with force in opposite directions to do mine; if you just hold one part and attempt to free only the jam nut, sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't.

Ray

SECRET likes this.