FORMULA 1 HEINEKEN GRANDE PREMIO DE PORTUGAL 2020 - PORTIMAO....Practice 1/2/3 ▄▀▄▀ Spoilers ▀▄▀▄ | Page 3 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 HEINEKEN GRANDE PREMIO DE PORTUGAL 2020 - PORTIMAO....Practice 1/2/3 ▄▀▄▀ Spoilers ▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Oct 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Stroll didn’t notice Verstappen because he was looking at his dash

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Lance Stroll has explained how his collision with Max Verstappen during the second practice session came about.

The Racing Point driver tangled with the Red Bull at turn one. Verstappen was trying to overtake him at the time, and was part-way alongside when Stroll turned into the corner and they collided.

Verstappen had let Stroll overtake him a few corners earlier, not realising the Racing Point driver intended to begin another fast lap after crossing the line.

“We just had contact into turn one it was unfortunate,” explained Stroll. “I don’t think he was expecting me to be on a second push lap and I wasn’t expecting anyone to be racing me into turn one.”

Stroll said he wasn’t looking for Verstappen alongside him on the straight prior to the crash.

“He let me through into the last corner and I expected him to take a gap,” he said. “I was busy looking at some things on my dash down the main straight.

“Once I looked up I was just focused on the corner., I didn’t expect anyone to be alongside me and I don’t think he expected me to be on a second push. So an unfortunate end to the day.”

The stewards investigated the collision but ruled neither driver was largely to blame and did not penalise either of them.

“We already went to the stewards and cleared the air, it’s all good,” said Stroll.

https://www.racefans.net/2020/10/23/stroll-didnt-notice-verstappen-because-he-was-looking-at-his-dash/

2. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Fixed it

Bas likes this.
  3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Distracted driving, typical Gen Z.

Bas likes this.
  4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Max gave Stroll the courtesy by moving over the lap before so he wouldn't impede him on Stroll's fast lap. Max is in slipstream and uses the DRS to pass Stroll, pulling up beside him. The common courtesy when someone moves over the lap before in practice is to return the favour the next lap if driver makes a clear intention to overtake. Not required, but common courtesy. Stroll full turns in and takes them both off.

How this is even partially Max's fault is beyond me.

Hardly a dive bomb when you're alongside for half the straight.

5. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    They both had DRS, Max had his front wheels level with Stroll rear wheels until the braking zone when he just continued to try out brake him, dumb move in FP

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The only thing Max is guilty of is thinking Stroll was aware of his surroundings.

Stroll looked in his mirrors, he knew he was there.

Won't be the last time for Stroll. Hope Max has learned to never trust what goes on in that car.

375+ and Nortonious like this.
  7. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    DF1 and Cavallino Nero Rampante like this.
  8. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    No, it was definitely a classic Max dive-bomb. Mind you, I like Max. But facts are facts.

william likes this.
  9. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I like these elevation changes.

DF1 likes this.
  10. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
  11. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  12. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
  13. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

14. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

No dive - bomb. The drivers had assumptions about the intentions of the other. Stroll should have noticed Max. Sorry but looking around you is maintaining situational awareness. For that alone I think it was more on Stroll. He nearly collided with Bottas in a similar fashion in Prac 1 at different turn. Stroll - not impressive again, and admitting he was distracted. Yet thinks all is well.