Lusso battery replacement tips needed please | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Lusso battery replacement tips needed please

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Il Co-Pilota, Oct 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I really think that heat shield around the battery is an after-thought: Oops! the surrounding has already been designed and made. Without it, it will be a much easier and straight-forward task.

2. kimwizzzuuu

kimwizzzuuu Karting

Aug 26, 2018
    new york
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I’m doing Braille battery in lusso tomorrow. I should be able to share some info then

Nospinzone likes this.
  3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Cool. AGM or Lithium?

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    It is not. The passenger side header is right there and they installed a free standing aluminum shield between the right side of the battery and the header. The heat from all sides including the top and bottom is very high and it gets up there quickly. When you wrestle the battery out, can only be done with the blanket on (you're welcome), you will find it is an aluminized fabric. I used a thermometer to measure the heat around it and carefully added high quality aluminum tape on the header side and bottom of the heat blanket to further shield from the extreme heat. Yes, I added weight to the battery area while others spend thousands to lower weight there. It turned out fantastic. Take the time to detail the area when you get access. Don't forget to order a new vapor breather tube and attach it to the bung under the blanket and vent it out the bottom panel under the car.

Nospinzone likes this.
  5. sandman03456

sandman03456 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    Did you use the gold heat shield tape? Or did you go a different route?

6. kimwizzzuuu

kimwizzzuuu Karting

Aug 26, 2018
    new york
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Took about 40 minutes, nothing crazy pretty straight forward, only the water drain hose is kinda tricky how Ferrari clamped on the plastic trim. Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. sandman03456

Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    Any additional photos? How was the reinstallation? If a lithium, rather than AGM, battery is used for replacement, is the drain tube necessary?

8. kimwizzzuuu

kimwizzzuuu Karting

Aug 26, 2018
    new york
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    this trim piece gotta take off in order to lift up the battery. I did not encounter any drain tube in the battery location, the only water drain tube was under the side of fender below hood strut. There were two clamps for this tube but everything else just bolts and screws. The only thing I wanna say is when putting back the piece I circled in red is spray some window cleaner on bottom of windshield as well as the plastic itself. Without lubrication it’s very hard to slide it back to the bottom windshield.

SECRET and Caeruleus11 like this.
  9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Thank you for the pics. When I get around to do the switch in mine, I will do a step-by-step thread. Hopefully very soon, life just keeps getting in the way.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    No. High heat 4" aluminum tape. Done carefully it will disappear against the fabric.

11. sandman03456

Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    Where did you get the tape? I have found 1.5" and 2", but not 4"

12. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Does anyone know what brand of battery was originally installed in a 2015 FF?

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    In Europe the were FLAMM.

95Ah group 49 battery with a whopping 760 CCA. Utter garbage.

sampelligrino likes this.
  14. kimwizzzuuu

kimwizzzuuu Karting

Aug 26, 2018
    new york
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Same as the one I pulled out. Starting engine just very weak and hesitating.

15. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    :D:D:D

It doesn't get cold there, does it?

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  16. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I can't quite read it, it reads "Genuine ________" something.

17. kimwizzzuuu

kimwizzzuuu Karting

Aug 26, 2018
    new york
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Yea it’s just rebranded by Ferrari, but it does have fiamm on the casing.

Il Co-Pilota and Nospinzone like this.
  18. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
  19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Scandinavia? Never...

Ibactually received an email from Paul @Antigravity in the UK yesterday. I wrote to them expressing some concern about cold weather CCA of the Antigravity battery. So they stuck their Group 49 60Ah battery in the 4 degree fridge for 24 hours and did a test. It still cranked out 1490 amps and during cranking, the voltage dropped from 13.5 to 13.42 volts. I think that will start the Lusso lol.

On a completely different note. Currently the biggest Antigravity battery is 60Ah, but in a few weeks they will offer a group 49 80Ah battery with a 2000 CA capacity. They don't have them on their website yet, but let me know if this is of interest to anyone.

20. kimwizzzuuu

kimwizzzuuu Karting

Aug 26, 2018
    new york
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Do you know if they are doing 80 ah in group48? I’m currently using 60ah from antigravity, want something even better

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not sure that is physically possible. Are you running a mobile welding service?:D

22. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    If you switch from AGM to LI, is there any programming needed or settings switch for the car? Or plug and play, and switch your CTEK charger to snowflake or lithium mode and that's it? If you make the swap on a Porsche there is a settings change needed I think which is why I was curious.

23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It is pure plug and play. The internal digital system in the battery protects against overcharging and balance the cells during charging.
    The size is a direct Group 49 battery.
    You will need a Ctek Lithium XS charger, as a charger for a lead acid battery will read the battery as fully charged and too low a level. The internal system in the car can charge with up to 14.7 volts, so that is perfectly capable of charging the lithium battery. The battery and internal controller in the battery are designed to be used in cars, so it is fine. Just to make sure, I asked my dealer tech yesterday, and they thought it was a great idea. They offered to install it, but I want to have fun with it.

Lastly you need a Ctek adapter for the magnetic connector on the rear of the Lusso. I purchased the adapter I hold in the pics from Ebay. Ordered the 9th. had it the 14th. As you can see, it is OE style Ferrari connector in one end, and Ctek connector in the other. So with that, everything is plug and play and functions as normal.

Additionally, just for fun, I ordered one of these.https://www.antigravitybatteries-uk.co.uk/battery-protection/antigravity-battery-tracker-lithium.html
    A cool little device that let's you monitor the battery with your phone, and satisfy the techie geek in all of us.
    It is also available for lead acid batteries for those wanting to monitor a such.https://www.antigravitybatteries-uk.co.uk/battery-protection.html?scroll=528
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caeruleus11 and sampelligrino like this.
  24. kimwizzzuuu

kimwizzzuuu Karting

Aug 26, 2018
    new york
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Perfect timing to order an 80Ah Li battery for your new TDF. No programming needed, just get a lithium dedicated charger from Ctek.