Question regarding Ferrari 2-piece Titanium Wheel Bolts | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Question regarding Ferrari 2-piece Titanium Wheel Bolts

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by MalibuGuy, Sep 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    That's crazy. The factory ones are close to $2K

Ray

2. mxstav@comcast.net

Nov 24, 2005
    Green Oaks, IL
    Full Name:
    Mark Stavropoulos
    Though, if you look at the Ferrari ones vs. the Acer Racing or Wisdom titanium bolts, the heads on the Ferrari bolts are larger in diameter. Both of these aftermarket bolts have a flange on the bottom of the head that contacts the wheel instead of the entire bolt head being the same diameter.

mdrums likes this.
  3. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    True. That's probably done to reduce weight a bit further or something.

If I had a Ferrari right now, I think I'd risk a couple hundred bucks just to try them out.

Ray

4. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Wow that is great pricing... I just don't want to experiment with wheel bolts....but for my new HRE wheels due in a couple weeks I what the look of the socket head bolts like the Pista has

5. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Good observation....I hadn't noticed that but I do now.

6. achaddy

achaddy Karting

Jun 13, 2005
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy Chadwick
    Decided to give a set of these a go. They respond to emails quickly and payment option is simple via Paypal. Will let you know when they arrive.
    The original OEM Ti single piece bolt for earlier models had the flange and smaller diameter head. I believe this 2 piece version with overall larger head came out with the Speciale. I could be wrong though on that but the 2 piece is certainly a later design.

mdrums likes this.
  7. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Please let us know. I am also very interested.

8. achaddy

achaddy Karting

Jun 13, 2005
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy Chadwick
    GT2goneF and mdrums like this.
  9. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I love these! How much and where did you get them again? I was waiting for you to post update. Thank you so much!

10. achaddy

achaddy Karting

Jun 13, 2005
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy Chadwick
    No problem:)
    It was these guys as highlighted by Ray Johns.
    http://wisdomtitanium.com/titanium-wheel-lug-bolts-c.html
    Price was $199 for 20 with $38 postage. I had to pay £25 import duty and handling charge for UK customs.
    For the money they are an absolute bargain.
    They say the finish is polished although I wouldn't call it highly polished.

RayJohns and GT2goneF like this.
  11. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Question remains... How durable are they and whether they will sustain the strain applied. so you saved about 1000 dollars give or take...

12. achaddy

achaddy Karting

Jun 13, 2005
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy Chadwick
    I'll let you know if a wheel suddenly flies off. But yes a huge saving over the OEM price.

Need4Spd and GT2goneF like this.
  13. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I reached out to them. Let's see of price remains constant. I am not worried about the polish degree. I am going for black.

14. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    blkdiablo33 likes this.
  15. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    One

16. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Those look damn nice. I don't even have a Ferrari right now and I'm thinking about buying a set!

As far as strength, they should be plenty strong. I run a lot of Titanium nuts and bolts in place of steel and it's all fine. The only time you really need to worry is when you switch to aluminum hardware. As far as strength of steel vs. titanium vs. SS, usually it's all pretty close.

Ray

Need4Spd and GT2goneF like this.
  17. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Coming from you, I am sure it makes us all feel better about the purchase/future purchases.

So I inquired about the same lug bolts to have them shipped to California. Same price 199, plus 28 shipping. I also inquired to have them in black. It is an additional 39 dollars for black finish. I inquired on whether these are painted or black titanium nitride finish. I am waiting. Will update as soon as I get a response.

Need4Spd and RayJohns like this.
  18. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I got a reply, They said they are PVD. Had to look it up, which stands for Physical Vapor Deposition. Which it the process of applying thin coating at very high temperatures, in this case nitride, which will not fade. So apparently, they are legitimate.

19. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I'd be curious to see how well that coating holds up. I know some of the places that do Titanium stuff in Russia are big on using that method to coat their stuff. I personally prefer raw Titanium myself. Usually even the best surface coatings will mar when you torque something down, etc. Sometimes you can slip a plastic bag in-between the wrench tool and the surface and protect the coasting. On my motorcycle, where I used a lot of Titanium and anodized aluminum, I used that trick many times. You just find a medium duty plastic bag and put it over the nut/bolt and that helps keep the finish from being ripped off.

I checked out some of the Titanium stuff that company makes and it appears their facility and manufacturing is very high quality. I personally wouldn't hesitate to run those lug bolts on my Ferrari. They look very nicely made.

Ray

20. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Sorry meant 38 for shipping, not 28. Total for me would be 276 for 20 black Titanium nitride lug bolts. And I assume California will want their 7.5 or 7.75% (whatever it is) as well. So add that to the formula. Still not 2k...

21. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Yeah, Ms./Mrs. Lee has promised me "no fading or peeling". Apparently, most products are made this way.

Your input and wisdom is much appreciated and needed. Thanks for all your tidbits and advise.

I will let you know when I get them. First, I must get the car... I am a little superstitious and I won't buy anything for the car before I get it. I don't want to end up with a bunch of F8 parts that will have to sell for a loss for not having the car for some stupid reason.

RayJohns likes this.
  22. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    So order BN023 and you get the updated design?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

23. achaddy

achaddy Karting

Jun 13, 2005
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy Chadwick
    Yep, well that’s what I ordered and I got the updated design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Need4Spd likes this.
  24. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    They are making both, with and without flange. Unfortunately, they ran out of the flangeless ones. So gotta wait. I am not in a hurry, car's is still on the way.