PPF Quote for FF - Advice Needed | Page 2 | FerrariChat

PPF Quote for FF - Advice Needed

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Jonathan Kayne, Oct 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Touch of glass - anthony is so busy he is handpicking new clients selectively now.

2. Jonathan Kayne

Jul 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Kayne
    Pulled the trigger with Touch of Glass today. Its not cheap but seeing their work and using the FF as a daily makes me want to fork it over and never worry about it again. I have also seen examples of matte over Grigio Silverstone and it looks so damn good. Feel like I am getting a wrap and protection in one. Appointment is in a couple of weeks. Will come back to post pics when it is all done. Can't wait to see the final product. This is their site for anyone interested. https://togdetailstudio.com/ . Anthony spent a lot of time to get me comfortable with the whole process. My last car (G63) I did not get protected and boy did I regret that 6mo. Appreciate everyone's input.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  3. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Likely to need a rewrap every few years...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. Jonathan Kayne

Jul 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Kayne
    Wait seriously? That is a no go in that case. I thought PPF is guaranteed for like 10yrs? Understand the elements can impact color if left out in the sun too long but is there something else I should be aware of?

5. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Wraps and cermaics do not last 10 yrs, maybe if garaged 365 and driven 300 miles per year. At 2k a year no shot.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  6. vdm9

vdm9 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2014
    long island new york
    Full Name:
    vasilios
    I think if you look at cars that have been daily driven you will see wear on the wrap at the same spots you would normally see wear, chips on the paint.
    The wrap is the sacrificial layer.
    vasilios

ScottS likes this.
  7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Just do what i said earlier - ppf on high impact areas with ceramic and a sealant on the direct paint. No reason to over think this

8. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Amen to that one there is better money to be spent on the FF

9. Jonathan Kayne

Jul 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Kayne
    Explored that package with them prior to making the decision (Paint correction, interior detail, ppf on full front, rocker panels, mirrors etc and ceramic on everything) in the end the price wasn't that much more for the full wrap and in stealth. The two worst scratches that I have on the car right now is rear quarter and the trunk lid. Thought about it and for not that much more I rather just wrap the whole thing. Other issue with the partial wrap is the seams that would be showing on the FF.

Daily driven wear I am ok with as long as the paint stays in tact. I thought you meant that it would have to be replaced due to yellowing, lifting or something like that.

10. Jonathan Kayne

Jul 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Kayne
    Having P1 install a valve controller next week. Then I am really done. Until the next time ha

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  11. kimwizzzuuu

kimwizzzuuu Karting

Aug 26, 2018
    new york
    Full Name:
    Kim
    How much P1 charge for the installation on the controller?

12. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

i Rmbr u asked about exhausts and unless you really don’t care for it too much I don’t see the valve controller as enough;)

13. Jonathan Kayne

Jul 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Kayne
    HAHA that was me. Read a bunch of posts and people seemed to suggest getting the valve controller first before messing with the exhaust. Some thought the xpipes and muffler did not make that much of a difference without adding the sport cats. I would love the full novitec system but definitely don't have the budget for that and I can't mess with the ECU in fear of voiding the Power warranty. P1 is charging $900 with the installation of a column mounted controller under the steering wheel. They prefer Forza over the Capristo. Thoughts? Am I going to be disappointed? All I want is that Novitec sound on a budget. The exhaust systems I was considering are Capristo and FI. The videos online didn't make it sound like a crazy gain over stock.

14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Tommy is the man. He has installed that unit in a cple of my cars. U will not get the novitec sound but u will got the oem sound all the time, no change in tone.

Caeruleus11 and Jonathan Kayne like this.
  15. kimwizzzuuu

kimwizzzuuu Karting

Aug 26, 2018
    new york
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I did forza on my speciale, but will go with Capristo on lusso because Capristo could use the remote to program the start-up valve opening position. For the forza unit, you have to preset the module before installation.

16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    On the forza it’s mechanical- just leave it on the setting u want. On the ff the valves are always automatically open on startup. No way to keep them closed. On lusso they changed it.

17. Jonathan Kayne

Jul 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Kayne
    Happy with the change or still wanting more? Its tough to know how big of a change the full system would be vs stock + valve controller. Had a cayenne once and did a secondary cat delete on an otherwise factory exhaust. Part was $700 from Fabspeed and no ECU issues or anything. The sound difference was absolutely HUGE. Wish there was something like that for the FF.

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Tommy did my novi - he knows the system inside and out. You can come hear my car, you will be scrambling to find the $25k.

Happy? The full novitec is up there with fxx type sounds. And when valves r closed i can carry on a bt conversation as it was still stock

Jonathan Kayne likes this.
  19. kimwizzzuuu

kimwizzzuuu Karting

Aug 26, 2018
    new york
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Yea, I preset the forza unit in my speciale at start-up valve open position. I like the idea that Capristo could use their remote to program the unit, but I think overall forza controller is better in terms of build quality.

20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Makes sense. I prefer to control everything via ecu on the newer cars. On ff i had novitec program the sport setting with valves open all the time. In comfort its same as from the factory

21. Jonathan Kayne

Jul 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Kayne
    I really do want to hear that system at some point. In videos it sounds crazy. Next time you drive through town just set it to sport mode and I will know you are here haha

22. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    They also get cut up and the rock damage still shows. If the rock doesn't cut to the paint then you saved a paint blemish but you have a film blemish which is very obvious. I didn't do my new 812 because it's about $6k and my return on investment for all the other cars I have done just isn't worth it. I sell the car and the ppf is just a win for the new owner but a loss to me because it doesn't come back to you in the sales price at all. To correct the blemishes the film has to be replaced and that is at cost to you. NOT WORTH IT.

23. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You're having a great team work on your car!

For whatever its worth, my experience is film on a typical daily driver in the NY metro area is almost pointless because film will hold road debris at a factor of something like 1000x over clear coat- this is just my own estimate and not a scientific number. I tried filming my daily driver about 6 years ago and it got so bad, one day I decided to see if I could get all the grime out of the film by very gently claying it, like you would do with clear coat. Wow, I needed several clay bars for the entire car- normally you use just a part of one bar for the whole car......

I also tried ceramic on my wife's non filmed daily driver and I found the tangible benefits were gone after about 9 months. To be fair she drives all over the place and she goes to the car wash all the time...

Yet on her latest daily I got it filmed and coated! So it just goes to show theres always an exception. And that is because for whatever reason her car would always get scraped up by people with shopping carts and this time I am thinking its cheaper to film the car and replace film on a door than dealing with getting the door repainted. But now I have urged her to not take it to the car wash and instead let me wash her car every now and then and so far its working... so far.... :)

However, on a Ferrari, irregardless of daily or not, I would still do it. Think about is the delta on the value of the car if you get a nasty stone chip on the hood. The value only really matters if you are going to sell your car. Who is going to buy the car with the stone chip? If you go to a main dealer and want to put it on their floor, they will insist this gets remedied. So now you are repainting a panel. And not just any panel, the most important one. So what's the cost to repaint the panel itself? Maybe its a few thousand? Then what's the cost in lost value when the dealer has to disclose the repair- to the most important panel on the car- the hood... You could be looking at a 25-30k hit. Now, imagine you drive the car only a few miles a year. Gee, thats a very expensive hit when you consider the mileage. To my mind the film is a much less expensive alternative, however, it is a guaranteed cost vs one that is probable. One time I had a construction truck going the other way bounce a large stone off it on to the road, it bounced right on to the hood of my (then new) 599 GTB. I was very very thankful for the film. IMHO much easier to correct issues with film than with paint. Especially the new film which has "self healing" ability. I got a nasty blemish on my Pista from a pebble that was thrown by my buddy's 911 with Cup 2 tires. Without the film my fancy Pista paint would have a massive chip on the hood. The impact on the film bothers me, but I can get that fixed whenever I want, it did not get through to the paint. So I am continuing to just drive my car.

But on my daily driver, a Mercedes, I dont bother with anything. I bring it to the carwash every now and then. No film, no ceramic, just simple.

Horses for courses as they say. Either way, you have made some great choices on who to do work on your car and I wish you thousands of happy miles and maybe we will see you out and about, Forza Ferrari!!! :)