Service Expectation | FerrariChat

Service Expectation

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Kent Adams, Oct 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    Ok, so I'm new to the world of Ferrari. I bought a 2007 F430 from the local Ferrari dealer. There were a couple of minor "We Owe You" to do (annual service, replace the F1 reverse button and the window switches). I scheduled an appoint and dropped my car off on October 12th. I haven't heard a word from them.

I come from the world of Lexus service. My service advisor there gets things done in a day, especially if I made an appointment 2 weeks in advance. I'm now 8 days on and haven't heard a word from the dealer. Is this normal for Ferrari dealers? How should I shape my expectations of what to expect for simple maintenance and repair?

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. lawteam

lawteam Karting

May 15, 2009
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Full Name:
    Evan Fetterman

Evan though it's a Ferrari, it is still a car. Call and ask status.

IloveGT and paulchua like this.
  3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Whenever I drop off a car I always ask when it will be ready, unless the service advisor tells me before I even have a chance to ask.

It appears from your post that you are having parts replaced on a 13 year old car. If they have to order the parts from Italy it can take a while. Thus you could have told them to call when the parts arrive and then bring the car in.

paulchua likes this.
  4. unreelviper

unreelviper Karting

Jan 9, 2014
    DMV
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I understand your pain. I dropped my 2005 F430 Spider off on August 3rd for a 30k service. The shop found some transmission leaks, brake cable replacement And O2 sensor replacement. I got my car back on October 12th(10 weeks). The shop updated me weekly. I was told that the parts were very slow coming out of Italy. Also most of my parts were back ordered so I had to wait until Ferrari could get their hands on the part. The car is running great and i’m very happy. I hope that you get it back sooner rather than later.

5. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    The dealer service on mine usually runs a full 3 weeks. As mentioned above, the parts often are a source of delay. Your experience sounds normal.

Kent Adams likes this.
  6. artsd

artsd Formula Junior
    Owner

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    Art
    You will never get 1 day turn around from Ferrari except possibly for a simple fluid change, especially for an older car. My longest repair was about 5 weeks at an independent shop but I needed a pretty unusual (non-maintenance related) part (power steering line from pump to rack). I would expect at least weekly updates as to the progress and remaining time estimate.

Kent Adams likes this.
  7. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA
    Once you establish a relationship with the service team things will go smoother. By establishing a relationship I mean letting your point of contact know what your expectations are regarding communication. Once a day phone call? Twice a day e-mail? Hour by hour text updates? Photos of the progress? Updates only when something changes?

One thing to realize is that the repair process takes longer with Ferrari, parts are not “ in stock “ and unless you are willing to pre-pay for parts, I would not expect them to be “ available “ like Audi parts would be.

I like daily e-mail updates and ask at drop off if they have an expected turn around time. Then I leave them alone to do their thing.

Pizza, snacks, etc seem to help too

Welcome to the family!

Andy

tomc and Kent Adams like this.
  8. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I dropped my 360 off for an annual service that was supposed to take a couple of days. It took ten.

Kent Adams likes this.
  9. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    They've had the parts for 3 weeks and made an appointment for me to bring the car in once they had them. I didn't think to ask when the car would be ready. I just assumed it would be that day.

10. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    No idea of your location but remember that this is the end of the season for many F Cars. Dealers are most likely doing end of season service, arranging storage, etc. A friendly call from you is in order, just to maintain communication.

AClark and Kent Adams like this.
  11. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    I hadn't thought of that, good point. I've put in a call and waiting to hear back.

12. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I'm sure they haven't forgotten about you! We just took our Cali in today for winter tires, and our dealership was busy.