599 flying buttress removal | FerrariChat

599 flying buttress removal

Discussion in '612/599' started by rmfurzeland, Oct 13, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rmfurzeland

rmfurzeland Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron Furzeland
    I need to removed my flying buttresses for a respray, anyone know where the fasteners are located, the Ricambi parts diagram shows 4 fasteners:
    1) two allen head screws where buttress joins roof, yep can see these
    2) one nut in trunk under buttress, yep can see it
    3) cant find 4th one, item 45, is it also further down the side of trunk or is it under leather to the side of the parcel shelf?

Thanks,
    Ron

Attached Files:

2. rmfurzeland

Jan 7, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron Furzeland
    I am guessing its behind the rear/side speaker quarter panel? How to remove panel?
    Ron

3. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    You can remove both screws by removing the trunk side panels. I have done it several times. The 2 screws in the trunk don’t need to come off completely. Unscrew them a bit then slide the buttress toward you and lift ... that’s it.

4. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Actually now that I think about it there is only one screw you can access from the trunk. Once unscrewed the buttress slides out. The other screw is a retainer and you will only see it when the buttress is off. Hope that makes sense ...

5. rmfurzeland

Jan 7, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron Furzeland
    Thanks for your help, managed to get it off, the Ricambi diagram is plain wrong. On top of the quarter panel there are 2 large headed screws and the buttress just slots in to these . So you must entirely remove the single 10mm retaining bolt in the trunk then the buttress can slide out of its 2 slots. Will be tight so need to wiggle it a lot. Assuming the 2 allen screws at the top corner of the buttress have already been removed.
    Anyone seen a 599 without the buttresses , interesting look, but too much glass to keep this look.
    Thanks again,
    Ron

Makuono likes this.
  6. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    I was always curious to see how the 599 would look without them. The only picture I've seen was:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

(credit to photographer)

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Looks like a Gonzales version.

8. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    Absolutely !

9. Inadeje

Inadeje Karting

The designer made the flow lines with the buttress. Without them the car looks, well, wrong...

Mor and SonomaRik like this.