The Purosangue Thread | Page 44 | FerrariChat

The Purosangue Thread

Discussion in 'Purosangue' started by MDEL, Dec 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I both agree and disagree with you. At the end of the day a SUV will be a SUV. Changing the S with a F will not make magic happen. I think Ferrari already tried to do a FUV with the FF/GTC4Lusso and it was not enough. They need to make a SUV to get SUV like sales figures. As @cesman said above, even though Aston DBX is a very nice looking SUV designed from the ground up on a new platform, there is no hiding the fact that it is a SUV. I do think that the Ferrari SUV will be much nicer looking than the Urus and if priced right will steal sales from the Urus because Urus just looks like a Q8 with a body suite (yes I have seen it in person and that only reinforced this opinion). Biggest advantage that Ferrari has is that its SUV will be based on an independent platform so it can look non-generic. But all said and done it will still be a SUV and I doubt it will get high marks from the hardcore Ferrari fans.

2. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I agree with you that an SUV is something different from the FF/GTC4. If the Purosangue will be just like a GTC4 but with an higher ride height, it can’t be classified as a Super SUV and will become eventually a super compact Cross-Over. However, if the Purosangue wants to be a real SUV, IMO there are at least two things that will have to distinguish it from the FF/GTC4. The unavoidable first one is the interior space that in an SUV has to enable five people to be fairly well accommodated while providing a good cargo space. The second one is the ride height that in an SUV has to be preferentially variable in order to allow on high ride a ground clearance sufficient to tackle heavy snow and most non-extreme off-road conditions. To become a Super SUV the Purosangue can borrow from the GTC4 the engine and the power-train, which are superior to the existing in any SUV, as well as the AWD system with some eventual improvements. But the Purosangue will need a completely new body design and with an interior volume a lot bigger than the one of the GTC4 and can't avoid having an adaptive air suspension of the latest generation that can move up and down at least 10 cm while using air springs that enable variable spring stiffness and which generate great anti-roll forces per axle.

Despite the considerable interior volume differences between the FF/GTC4 and even the smallest of the SUVs, Ferrari's big challenge with the Purosangue is to reinvent the SUV as we know it now in an innovative manner. If Ferrari isn’t able to reinvent the SUV the lesser evil will be a Purosangue GTC4 inspired resulting in a compact Cross-Over. The worst that could happen would be a Purosangue with a design that looks like any of the other SUVs.

3. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Based on what you have written my guess is that you are going to be deeply disappointed but of course that is just my opinion and I have no special insider knowledge.

On the point of engine and powertrain, I think it will have little in common with GTC4. The whole purpose of the FUV is to drive sales and lower fleet averages for things like CO2, MPG etc. My expectation is for the FUV to come in two options, V8 Hybrid and V6 Hybrid, utilising the front engined versions of the powertrains from SF90S and Little Brother.

G. Pepper, C50, 456-boy and 1 other person like this.
  4. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    The DBX is a shocker! Especially the rear.

cesman likes this.
  5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Oh my. A crossover is even more disappointing than an SUV. The crossover is the ultimate soccermon car, the car for the emascul8ned dad, the type of car that has no other purpose than being practical.

A Lusso still has some driving aspects which makes it fun and a sports GT. If you raise the center of gravity you take that away. With an SUV you at least had the perceived sense of adventure, albeit totally false, and you would have some physical precense and masculinity.

Ferrari Crossover. What an utter girls blouse that car will be.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The Purosangue can only be one of three different things. The first possibility is to be an FUV, the second an SUV and the third a Crossover. Ferrari is the only one who knows what an FUV is therefore the rest of us are unable to discuss this hypothesis due to lack of information. We then left with the possibility of discussing if the Purosangue will fall into the category of an SUV or a Crossover. The real problem starts when there is no commonly agreed-upon definition of what’s an SUV and a Crossover and usage of the terms varies greatly between countries. A Crossover is often defined as an SUV built with a unibody construction (as with passenger cars), however in many cases crossovers are simply referred to as SUVs. In some countries such as the United States SUVs have been classified as "light trucks”. Outside of the United States the term "Crossover" tends to be used for C-segment (compact) or smaller vehicles, with large unibody vehicles such as the Audi Q7, BMX X7 usually known as SUVs rather than Crossovers. In the United Kingdom a Crossover is sometimes defined as a hatchback with raised ride height and SUV-like styling features and that's also my definition.
    After having made these considerations I can only reply to your post by saying that your concepts of what a Crossover and an SUV are probably differ from mine.

WilliamB likes this.
  7. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    I really enjoy my Lusso GTC4 as a daily driver and don’t think I’ll ever sell it. I saw the DBX at the private unveiling at Pebble Beach last August and bought it immediately. The DBX is great looking with an aggressive stance and an impressively beautiful interior. I’m not a Bentley or Rolls guy, the Lamborghini SUV is a little to much of a boy racer for an SUV and I’m tired of our Range Rover and G63. The Aston is the right size to be very comfortable and has more than adequate room in the boot and it actually looks smaller than it is and is quite sporty in an elegant way. I haven’t driven the DBX but the reviews are great. My DBX is arriving the end of this month, I’ll post my impressions after I drive it for a few days. (if my wife let’s me drive her new DBX)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Congratulations for your new DBX and I believe that your decision of keeping the Lusso is a wise one. I’ve never seen a DBX on the flesh therefore I have to rely on pictures to form an opinion of how it looks and also trust what some of the more prestigious magazines said on their reviews about the car. The DBX reception has been positive and it is a performant, comfortable and eclectic SUV equipped with the latest technology. I don’t find the DBX a pretty car but it's not an exception because that’s exactly what I think about most of the SUVs. Despite not being enthusiastic about the DBX beauty I identified immediately the Aston Martin design seal when I first saw the pictures of the its front side.
    The FF and the GTC4 have defined a new car category that IMO is the FUV. Now Ferrari wants to reincarnate the FUV by saying that the Purosangue will be one but unless its designers invent something that’s extraordinary and very innovative, in the end it will be just an SUV or a Crossover. Because the DBX is an SUV it suffers from one of the biggest design problems of SUVs which is when we view their sides almost all of them look similar to each other and very bulky. In the case of the DBX side profile to my eyes it is similar to the one of another British Crossover-SUV that was launched in 2018 and doesn’t have a combustion engine because is totally electric. The car is the Jaguar I-Pace and it houses under the bonnet just the charging cable. To show some of the similarities below I post three sets of pictures comparing the side views of the DBX and the I-PACE.
    The first picture shows the DBX and the I-PACE side by side and it can be seen that both cars rear sides have many similarities. One of the differences is that the rear of the DBX has a kind of aileron very, very similar to the one on the Aston Martin Vantage.
    The second picture shows the DBX side-by-side with an I-PACE that has cloned DBX wheels. The I-PACE looks much better with the DBX wheels that are les vulgar. The DBX bonnet houses a relatively big combustion engine and IMO is better designed than the bonnet of the I-PACE whose purpose is to house almost nothing. The third picture shows a DBX and an I-PACE that has a bonnet cloned from the DBX and now the two cars look very similar.

When the Purosangue will appear the first pictures I want to have a look at are the side views of the car and my hope is that they will show something innovative that doesn’t look like what we see in most SUVs and Crossovers. If the pictures will show vulgarity I’m convinced that I won’t have difficulty in discovering within the existing SUVS and Crossovers at least one that has a side profile similar to the one of the Purosangue.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

WilliamB and Caeruleus11 like this.
  9. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    DBX Looks so much better in real life. The tinted rear windows in the above illustration makes it look weird.

Caeruleus11, F2003-GA and MDEL like this.
  10. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
  11. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Have any even arrived to the NA yet? I have been looking here and there..

12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Here in Europe where I am, Crossovers usually mean cars such as BMW X3, Audi Q5, Volvo XC60, various Japanese cars of the same size. Cars that are for the road, and a blend of normal estate/hatchback, but higher such as a Mercedes GLC or VW T-Cross etc. A car with no other purpose than being easier to get in and out of due to its higher stance, a car that has room for shopping and 4 kids. A car that is slow, bland, easy on the eyes and has no soul. A Porsche Macan is another sad example of a crossover.
    Raise the Lusso 10 cm, give it full time 4wd, give it four doors and add some space in the boot. That is a crossover imo, and I don't care whether it has a V12 or not, or how many badges it has, or how exotic and interesting they try to make the name sound, it's a grocery getter and a car where practicality comes first and driving pleasure second.
    A real SUV like a Range Rover can actually go off the road, and do it kinda well. It is by no means a Wrangler with 37's, but it's a decent offroader. Same goes for the non-AMG G class. While an AMG G class is not a great offroad car, it can do it, and its looks gives it precense and sense of occassion. It is comical and fun, something a fake SUV like a Bentayga or Q7 will never be. A Urus is no better. Granted a lifted car with 4wd will always have some ability to go offroad, but it is not a real multipurpose SUV like a Grand Cherokee, G, FFRR, etc.
    The FUV is just a way of trying to make this SUV/crossover seem interesting. But there's a reason why so many think it means ****ed Up Van or Failed Utility Vehicle etc.

It's a travesty and a black mark on Ferraris legacy.

TomAZ likes this.
  13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Yes in the USA there are demonstrators . Friends who have driven say its great- very sporty- the best driving one. Good looking in person. I would consider one but I’m waiting....

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

uhn2000 and MDEL like this.
  14. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
  15. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    Grand Touring have received a demo from Aston North America. It was at the Hazelton for test drives. They should have invited you since iirc you bought a Bentayga and Urus. The DBX was also at the auto show this year.

16. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    For the same reasons I like the DBX too. I have seen/sat in it and lifted the hood. Driving still is on the plan. It looks much better than on the photo's.

MDEL likes this.
  17. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Ahh k thank you, I will have to ping Heather and see whats up. Cheers!

Andial likes this.
  18. Yellow355

Yellow355 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I don't see anything wrong w/ a F8 engined FUV that can out corner, out run the likes of Cayenne Turbo S and Urus but with better interior than what Bentley and Mercedes can offer. Just keep the car's performance and interior appointments premium and it won't dilute the brand.

19. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    Only the dealers have received their Aston DBX demos. The first customer cars arrive the first few weeks of November. My dealer has already sent me a copy of my window sticker and told me my DBX is built and being shipped this week.

WilliamB, MDEL and Caeruleus11 like this.
  20. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations Neil! :)

21. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
  22. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Ferrari ended production of the GTC4 Lusso despite it being considered something exotic, engaging, practical and without competition. It has four seats, a usable boot, four-wheel drive, rear-wheel steering and has a version with a fantastic V12 engine 690 cv. Why then has Ferrari discontinued this GTC4 FUV ? The only possible reason I can think about is the upcoming Purosangue FUV. Considering that the FF/GTC4 have established a unique and very successful car category, IMO the Purosangue shouldn’t be an SUV or a crossover but just an FUV that’s a clever evolution of the GTC4.

Without bothering with the design and the aesthetics let’s just suppose, for the sake of argument, that the pictures below are of an Purosangue FUV. A car with an air suspension and variable ride heights that one can enjoy driving, like a GTC4 on good roads dry or wet, but also like an SUV on bad roads, on heavy snow or in the absence of roads. A car that has four-doors and a bigger boot and an interior space to seat comfortably 5 persons.

For all the appointed reasons the GTC4 is a great source of inspiration for the upcoming Purosangue and Ferrari designers should use the exact same formula that made the FF such an original and successful car when was created. No matter what Ferrari does I’m convinced that a good design with originality will be the clue to make the Purosangue a winner.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Very interesting, I had somehow the same thought. Honestly I don't see Ferrari giving any kind of off road capability to that thing.

MDEL likes this.
  24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Something I keep thinking about. Is the Purosangue just a development name thought upbto make it more interesting, or will owners actually have to refer to their car by that name without an embarrassed look on their face? It's like the Bentayga. Just cooked up to make it sound interesting.

25. dedazo

dedazo Rookie

Nov 11, 2019
    Texas
    What a waste of 280K. I've seen this SUV many times on the street now, not impressive at all. Go buy an AUDI Q8 and save yourself 200K. If you want
    a Lamborghini then get a real LAMBO. ( Huracan, Gallardo, Aventador, etc)

Il Co-Pilota likes this.