Can a Ferrari be serviced at other dealerships? | FerrariChat

Can a Ferrari be serviced at other dealerships?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by TributoFan, Oct 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TributoFan

TributoFan Rookie

Oct 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Kameron Pratt
    Hey everyone, so I was bored and looking at preowned Ferraris online, and I noticed there is a preowned 2020 model year Ferrari, and the car fax shows that the owner took the car to a MINI dealer for service. Now that really is something I haven’t seen before. Usually 99% of Ferraris I’ve seen was serviced at a Ferrari dealership. And of course I think because of this fact, this specific Ferrari wasn’t certified. But the dealer is still selling it the same price as all the other certified Ferraris. So that got me wondering, can a Ferrari also be serviced at other dealerships? Because it certainly does not look like it has effected the resale value at all lol. Thanks everyone.

2. barabba

barabba Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2007
    Ticino / Zurich
    A car is a car at the end of the day. Not very ideal, but unless some special factory tools are needed, an experienced mechanic can service any car, why not.

TributoFan likes this.
  3. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    did the report show what service?
    windshield wipers change at a Mini dealership isn't going to be a big deal

jcurry and LARRYH like this.
  4. lawteam

lawteam Karting

May 15, 2009
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Full Name:
    Evan Fetterman
    a 2020 model year Ferrari includes service for 7 years. Why did it go to Mini dealer?

5. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I once saw a Porsche at a NAPA autocare center...the horror!

6. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    First thing to keep in mind is that when it says "serviced" on a carfax or autocheck/etc it does not mean "serviced" in the way that term is routinely used around here (major work/tune up/etc). Serviced on a carfax could be as mentioned a wiper blade, oil change, flat tire, A/C charge or a myriad of other small things.

7. TributoFan

TributoFan Rookie

Oct 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Kameron Pratt
    You ask a great question. And what makes it even more bizarre is that he serviced the car more than once at the MINI dealer, when he only drove it for 36 miles!

8. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    At any one time Precision Tune Auto Care in Margate South Florida will have 4-6 high end cars being worked on,
    It’s there guy Adrian Farinato , it will always be the mechanic not the bricks and mortar..

9. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Again dont confuse "serviced" as in engine out major belts/chains/or whatever we tend to use around here. Could be an out of balance tire/wheel, light bulb or other small item. His city may not have a ferrari dealership and just chose the mini for convenience.

350MH83 likes this.
  10. TributoFan

TributoFan Rookie

Oct 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Kameron Pratt
    That’s true though. But being basically a brand new car it already had problems like that? Lol kinda crazy

11. TributoFan

TributoFan Rookie

Oct 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Kameron Pratt
    I have an Audi SUV and I have been driving 50 miles every time taking it to an Audi dealer even for those small little services. I always thought I wanted it to be somewhere “authentic” lol. Guess I’ve been a fool this whole time!
    I felt like even the wipers had to be Audi OEM parts.

12. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    I find that often the Carfax reports show a certain dealer but it can be in accurate. Often times a dealer group, perhaps one that owns a Ferrari dealership, may report under one ID and it winds up showing the incorrect brand.

artsd likes this.
  13. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #13 arizonaitalian, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020

- 99% of Ferrari's (you have seen, I see the qualifier) are serviced at official ferrari dealerships - nope, not even nearly the case in total (but sure, could be for the many you have seen). Since 2012 (or thereabouts, iirc) Ferrari's have come with included std maint (at the dealership). So newer ones tend to get their maint done there. But many of us take our cars to many other places. For example, many chose to get tires installed elsewhere and far and away the majority of the ferrari 'fleet' are serviced elsewhere (there simply are not enough dealerships to handle them all and some people far prefer others to do their service). Some don't live within hundreds of miles of their dealership fwiw.

- "this fact" (serviced elsewhere) is unlikely why it isn't certified. asaik, that isn't a requirement for being certified. More likely it isn't certified because its got loads of remaining OEM warranty or some other reason you aren't aware of (or no reason at all).

- Of course ferrari's are serviced at indy and other places all the time, every day.

- Its not a value reducer as you state, your logic is false. Even if the cars you are comparing are 'apples to apples', you state that one is certified and this one is not...everything else being equal (which is nearly never the case with two ferraris) the certified is worth more because its certified/inspected not because the other car had some service elsewhere.

And, as pointed out above, "service" could have been anything from a flat tire to a car wash, to an intake inspection if it was traded there for example, to anything. It could be that the mini was part of the same dealer group and it simply got reported that way. Regardless, you must have been bored as you state...this is about as much a red herring, non issue as we see on f-chat.

14. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    lots of these cars end up with owners that are literally hundreds of miles from the nearest ferrari dealer and they don't want to drive or flat bed it that far for some services.

15. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Maybe the car was owned by the Mini dealerships owner.

16. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Exactly.

17. TributoFan

TributoFan Rookie

Oct 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Kameron Pratt
    Wow such a serious reply to a question out of pure curiosity. Sorry for my ignorance. Guess you are bored too. Lol just joking but thanks for the info.

18. TributoFan

TributoFan Rookie

Oct 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Kameron Pratt
    I have never thought of that and I think this most likely is the case. Bingo to you haha

19. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    For sure, many of us have too much time on our hands these days! :)

20. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I actually had my 360 annual service (all fluids replaced) at a franchise Volkswagen dealership, as a top Ferrari shop is 350 miles from me. I was curious if they would pick up on the nuances of servicing the 360 properly, such as pulling the back bumper off to clean a gearbox filter. or just skip it for "next time." They pulled the bumper and cleaned the filter, which told me they did their homework.

There's nothing particularly magical about turning a wrench on a Ferrari. It's all about who is doing the turning.

papou likes this.