Purchasing 2018 488 Spider | FerrariChat

Purchasing 2018 488 Spider

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Maxjag, Oct 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Maxjag

Maxjag Rookie

Jul 8, 2020
    Full Name:
    Maximino Azevedo
    As a potential virgin owner of a Ferrari, looking for thoughts, views, and advice on this car. It is being offered by Lamborghini dealer in Orlando:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Looks great, and a very hard question to answer. Similar to showing a picture of a beautiful girl on a forum and asking:

" thoughts, views, and advice on this girl?"

I would recommend you be more specific and provide background on yourself first.

Cheers

3. Maxjag

Maxjag Rookie

Jul 8, 2020
    Full Name:
    Maximino Azevedo
    As I noted, this is a step up for me. My familiarity is with Vipers and Jags, (XKE’s). I was contemplating a Performante versus this and my son (who’s had a couple of Lambos) suggested this. I just don’t know how to go down this path of evaluating. I have committed to the buy, but sight unseen, I need to know how to assess this when I get there. I was told that there was an exhaust enhancement. I am of the understanding that these have a 7 year warranty? If so, does the exhaust mod impact the warranty?
    Thanks
    Max

paulchua likes this.
  4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    They do not have a 7-year warranty; the warranty is 3 years or typically 2 years for pre-owned cars from Ferrari dealers.
    From new they get a 7-year maintenance program (transferred in case of sale as used) covering the basic services (oil and filter changes, occasional spark plugs and belt replacements) but not the wear nor defects.
    A 2018 car would have less than one year of warranty remaining, and less than five years of maintenance remaining; the Lambo dealer may offer its own warranty or include the Ferrari warranty extension that can be purchased to continue the 3-year warranty for one or two more years.

5. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    what are all options,does it have lift,racing seats etc?beautiful color

6. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I think one can see the car on Lamborghini Orlando web site, with pictures showing some of the options (standard electrical seats, wheel with LEDs, rear parking camera...).

Unfortunately there is no picture of the plate in the trunk that lists all options.

7. Maxjag

Maxjag Rookie

Jul 8, 2020
    Full Name:
    Maximino Azevedo
    I will ask for a shot of the trunk plate.

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Welcome Max!

Versus the Performante, you really have to test drive both to truly answer which is best to you. If you find the Ferrari better, I would then recommend you fly out and take a look yourself and get an PPI. As far as exahust, no it does not. They have a 7 year maintenance program, not a warranty. It's 3 years, but you'll want to verify the expiration date.

Hope this helps.

9. Maxjag

Maxjag Rookie

Jul 8, 2020
    Full Name:
    Maximino Azevedo
  10. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    The specs seem to check all the right boxes....I did not see Nav/radio but probably under other options. As others recommended, I would see the vehicle in person; if they feel you’r serious,they will let you test drive it.

11. Maxjag

Maxjag Rookie

Jul 8, 2020
    Full Name:
    Maximino Azevedo
    I’ve always enjoyed the old clutch use, including the Vipers. The paddle is going to be a new for me. I use my cars as they are intended for use. Probably a sacrilege, but I am taking the same “course” with this beauty. I used the vipers to the tune of about 160kmikes. I’ll be sniffing dirt before I get anywhere close to that, but I’m gonna enjoy!
    What is it that these cars, all super cars, seem to have short lifespans between owners? Are there any quirks to note, or is this annoyance free?

12. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I had a Viper ACR with Belanger headers and the tune. Fun raw car and fast. With respect to late model Ferraris’,they are mileage challenged - not from a maintenance perspective but a monetary one. 10 thousand miles and over seems the mindset among owners that the car will take a big drop in price. Buy the car to enjoy It but expect an exponential price drop when you pile the miles on.

13. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    You will Love the 488. They are impressive cars and damn near bullet proof. Not sure why you want to mess around with the exhaust? It sounds awesome to my ears bone stock. Maybe drive it a while first and then decide on whether you want to do any mods. But, I would keep all stock goodies so that when the time comes to sell most will want the car as it was on day 1.
    Good luck with your decision. MJ

14. Maxjag

Maxjag Rookie

Jul 8, 2020
    Full Name:
    Maximino Azevedo
    Joe, I drove for 7 years between Lenoir and Atlanta about every weekend thus the 160kmikes. My current one has a Paxton and dynos at 735hp. Now retired so nowhere going to be tacking on, but not concerned about the price drop. What good is it if you leave it pristine for your kids and you didn’t enjoy to the fullest? You want investment values play the market.

15. Maxjag

Maxjag Rookie

Jul 8, 2020
    Full Name:
    Maximino Azevedo
    The previous owner dId the exhaust so I’ll assume it is fine.