Top Gun... | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Top Gun...

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Island Time, Jul 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    I've seen this too. It's wild to watch. During the pull up, it appears as if the tail of the airplane might hit the runway. It never does.

thecarreaper likes this.
  2. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Minimum Altitude Capable (MAC) depends on a lot of things... training/proficiency of the crew, terrain and obstacles, day vs night. For training purposes there are things like birds, during migratory periods a flock of geese can kill you just as fast as anything else.

I have been down to 50 feet in some training ranges, the Herk is slower than a fighter but it’s pretty big and you have to watch things like wing dip when maneuvering. With a 132’ wing span the wing tip gets pretty low if you are at 50-100’ and start pulling a 60 degree turn.

Terrain also plays a big part in the perception of speed / altitude . Over a flat desert or ocean being super low doesn’t give you that much even if extremely low. Flying down a canyon you may be 1000’ from the bottom but if it’s tight and you have canyon walls above you on both sides it feels really fast and low.

3. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    I’m pretty certain that more than a couple pilots have learned the hard way after having the jet settle a bit and coming down on the belly or striking the tail.

Island Time likes this.
  4. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Never say 'never'.... it's happened.

Island Time likes this.
  5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Some of the old Hun jocks I flew with would take an F-111D down to 25' with the range officer's permission. Usually at around 540 KTAS. Just a blur to me when I was a lieutenant. Flatter than a flitter in Eastern NM on Melrose Range. Most ranges were limited to 100' and you got fouled if you went below that. During Fighter Weapons School, we flew F-111As at 100' and Mach 1.1 on the Nellis ranges.

6. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Is there still ground effect when supersonic that low to the ground? Just one of those things I wonder about...

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mark- Not that affects something 70,000 lbs or so with very limited wing area at 54-72.5 degrees wing sweep.