Price an SUV Lately? | FerrariChat

Price an SUV Lately?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Innovativethinker, Oct 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    So last year I bought two Range Rovers, the Velar I think was $60ish and the Sport $85ish.

One neighbor just bought a Denali - $89k, and another just bought an Expedition - $80k.

My daughter, who is expecting her 3rd child needs one of the larger (Suburban, Denali XL or the Expedition) ones. I like to help the kids buy houses and cars to absorb some of the impact (I don't pay all of it, just some to make life easier), but I didn't expect to be looking at $70k+. No imports are large enough for the car seats and have the trunk space.

I can see spending money for a luxury SUV, but these are fords and chevys.

Yikes.

anunakki likes this.
  2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Isn't it amazing that a pos chevy suburban costs a 550 maranello today! Unfortunately what you need and what you want don't always jive...

3. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    It’s insane..:but they do do big discounts. May have to wait a while for the GM trucks as they’re all new and supply is tight, but keep an eye on Laura GMC prices. They advertise huge no BS discounts. A lot of the guys on the gm and boating forums buy from them and have great experiences

Innovativethinker likes this.
  4. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I recently bought a new X5 for my wife. The pricing has gotten insane and the manufacturer isn’t offering incentives. I’m told it’s the car shortage from the shutdown.

Innovativethinker likes this.
  5. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    vraa and Innovativethinker like this.
  6. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    For a Volvo ?!!

Bullfighter and anunakki like this.
  7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    all suv prices are ridiculous…07 RR HSE,11 RR SC, 14 LR4. 08 escalade evt...have owned all since new and will never buy another SUV as long as i live...

8. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Anyone else thinking inflation?

tritone and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  9. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Bought a new g wagon... 152k... crazy money for what it is but wife won the battle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Is a Cayenne big enough for your daughter and her family? We just bought a lightly used (had 27K or so miles on it IIRC) 2018 Cayenne Platinum Edition. $50K or thereabouts. Platinum Edition is essentially base Pepper w/ all the most popular option packages. 1 year and about 8 K miles later, it's been a great road trip and around town truck. I've even had it off road a few times, and it is reasonably peppy and fun to drive...T

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    crack kills breh

Natkingcolebasket69 and Jaguar36 like this.
  12. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    A Volvo made in China. What could possibly go wrong with it.

13. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    That's obscene money for a GM that is comprised primarily of Mexican and Chinese components. I saw a new Lincoln the other day and not a single body panel looked properly aligned. I'd laugh if they were $45k, but 70+ for that carbage is some kind of weird joke.

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Yep. That and companies now wanting people to never own their possessions and be forever renters pretty much. Have home prices so high you need to finance for 30 years otherwise you can't afford it (don't worry, you'll die before mortgage paid off). Car prices so high you have to lease them (aka rent). Even cell phones are getting so expensive people have monthly payment plans and same for subscription based software (SaaS). They know they make more money having forever payments rather than something affordable for a one time purchase.

Bullfighter, J-McFly, NbyNW and 3 others like this.
  15. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Even a base model Civic is $30k out the door including financing.

16. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

and made in Sweden and Malaysia.

17. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    They do not need anything that big or costly. I bought my wife a Dodge Caravan brand new back in 2012. It was the loaded R/T version. All in was 35k after tax. We still have it and has been a fantastic vehical. No reason the get rid of it.

Easy entry for the kids and perfect height for safely buckling the kids in thier seats. The stow and go system turns it into a covered pick up truck in a matter of seconds. Huge amount of storage space..and it has 300hp.

Ak Jim likes this.
  18. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    It is worse that inflation. Inflation would be a benefit. These guys are just ripping off the public and the engineering of the cars is the ultimate to steal your money. OEMs make brake rotors exact size so when pads wear out the rotors don't meet spec so you change rotors too. That means the 100 buck brake job is now $1000+ increasing 10x to get your car running. All the new collision avoidance gadgets need to be re-calibrated every time you change the windshield from a crack. So the $200 safelite windshield now costs your $1000 bucks! TPMS in wheels now must be maintained at 50bucks a sensor when you change tires once or twice or the light will drive you crazy and some cars will go into limp without a functioning TPMS. R12 A/C we used to charge for $10bucks! No dice open your wallet.

19. PappyDewBoston

PappyDewBoston Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2018
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Chris Nadeau
    My wife loves her ‘15 Denali XL . Spent $85k in 2015. she’s put 20k+ a year on it, pulling horse trailers, 4kids, 2 dogs, back and forth to Vt in bad snow and lots of dirt roads and furniture haulIng . For its 110,000 mile I did an interior detail and some fresh wax. The thing still looks great, drives tight, and has really only needed brakes and tires.
    When it’s time... she only wants another Denali XL. GMC dealer has been surprisingly great to deal with. Who knew?

20. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Ouch! The man has a point...

21. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    There is still one bargain out there..
    2020/21 Jeep Trackhawk...707 HP, mercedes suspension design and a supercharger , all for 100G's!
    The new King of the Road

PappyDewBoston likes this.
  22. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I have never owned a minivan but I always rent with all wheel drive when on flyfishing or ski trips. Flyrods are 9ft long and fit perfect in the minivans fully assembled. They really are the best. But I bought suburbans when my kid was growing up. They were closer to stroking my truck ego and needed to tow racecar trailers. Now I drive a diesel truck and if I could only pick one I would delete the Ferrari and keep the truck.

23. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Maybe there are lots of, uh, mentally challenged buyers out there. Not all, but lots.....yah?

24. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    And its a 4-banger!!!

anunakki likes this.
  25. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    That was a consideration, but they need 4x4 due to where they live. Also, there is a 100% chance of hitting a deer.