Have You Consolidated Your Car Collection to Attain a Grail - (F40!)? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Have You Consolidated Your Car Collection to Attain a Grail - (F40!)?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by plastique999, Nov 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    Congratulations, you got “The (Right) One”! The surprise bonus you’ll find is how simple and inexpensive the maintenance is, especially vs the CGT. Enjoy it how ever you wish, you’ve earned the right.

plastique999 likes this.
  2. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
    Congratulations I’m happy for you: what a supercool sight to see the F40 in your garage!!!

plastique999 likes this.
  3. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
    How does the F40 compare with the CGT experience wise?

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    cgt is less predictable, especially if it doesn't have the newer tire. f40 isn't scary at all. id have np having my teenager drive the f40 with me in. i wld never say that about the cgt. if you are a good competent driver they are both easy to drive. if you are a ****ty driver ur less likely to get into a pickle with an f40 than cgt.

5. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    That was the one hard pill to swallow regarding the CGT. When they “recommend” an engine out $25k service every 4 years (even tho it may not have been driven but a few miles) it’s somewhat of a heavy burden to bare.

As Ricky mentioned, both have a learning curve to appreciate the driving experience. When I first picked up and drove the F40, it felt pretty darn antiquated...clunky gearbox, sticky throttle, brakes banal, and whoa! those turbos kick in with warp speed. But after a few drives, keeping RPM above 4k, the race pedigree attributes shine...agile, light, nimble and that warp speed once the turbos kick in!
    The CGT is almost on the opposite end of the spectrum, very mechanical and stout. The fit and finish is very clean. The doors close with a heavy bolt like thrust. The clutch is stiff with mechanical chatter. Power is very linear from the NA V10 which sounds symphonic. Ceramic brakes bite hard. The handling is very precise and direct with a true proper CF tub allowing for no margin for error.
    CGT more stiff and stout.
    F40 more loosey goosey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Amazing to think a 30+ year old Ferrari has less maintenance issues than a new-ish Porsche.

EnzoItaly likes this.
  7. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
    Thanks: really interesting... they’re probably both amazing to drive... but didn’t know they are that different (though it makes sense, as some arguments also apply in the comparison of my much more humble P and F).

I always thought the F40 maintenance is more expensive due to the fuel bags (but I think there’s a permanent ‘fix’ for the full bags (DK Engineering offers them?)).

Anyway: enjoy every minute of them, I can imagine each trip catalogues as a thrilling experience (the thought alone of grabbing the F40 keys and making the drive to the bakery a 30mins experience instead of the shortest 2mins route makes my heart jump already . )

plastique999 likes this.
  8. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    According to the top Carrera GT technician in the US an engine out Is only needed around every 10 years if they do it properly. Should be just fluids every couple of years in between if exercised regularly.

9. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    The CGT earned the reputation as The Widow Maker. Someone told me that 10% of the production of CGTs have been written off due to serious accidents. I have no idea if that is true.

In a way I appreciate that Porsche created the CGT as an incredible performer with crazy-scary limits. Like a race car at 10/10s the driver better know the car's capabilities and be certain where the "edge" of control is.

Caeruleus11 and Texas Forever like this.
  10. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Fortunately the 211 US version F40’s don’t have the fuel bags that the euro versions need replaced...
    Yes every time I pick up the keys, it’s always the “long” way to wherever I go.

SCantera likes this.
  11. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    To put it in perspective the F40 was designed and built to replace the 288. This was in the mid-80s near the end of Enzo's life. Not sure how much he was involved at that stage.

The Porsche CGT was built from 2004-07.....nearly 20 years after the F40. The differences in technology and finish were "light years" apart. But there is something special about the classics vs modern. While my 599 and F12 are fantastic for some reason I still prefer the feel and thrill of my 330 GTC. In a way the F40 has these qualities....once a classic always a classic.

-K1-, ross, Caeruleus11 and 2 others like this.
  12. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Yes, many have crashed, unfortunately. The CGT was essentially a racecar built in “street clothes.” What makes it so incredible is the Le Mans engine was built for the next Le Mans race in the 90’s but Porsche pulled out due to financial reasons. So when they built this “racecar” in 2004, it essentially pulled this race engine from the shelf, along with over 70 new patents.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Wow...when you see shocks/springs visible in the engine compartment shouts race car!

A friend of mine bought a CGT that had issues. The car had fuel pumps that needed replacing. The fuel tanks are mid-ships. The Porsche dealer quoted $10k to repair the problem. My "go to" shop, F1 Imports in Naples figured out that he could unbolt the rear sub-frame from the tub to gain access to the tanks and pumps. Less than $3k to complete the work. The Germans do design and build cars that can be worked on to cure problems. Ferrari....not so much. They build it and let the buyer figure out how to fix it. Been that way as long as I can remember.

plastique999 and Texas Forever like this.
  14. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Highly doubtful, If any model car suffered a 10% loss rate in the US, I imagine it would be “encouraged” to be removed or redesigned.....examples include the original widow maker Porsche Turbo, and the Suzuki tip over SUV.

15. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka

How’s the F40 treating you ????

MDS

Thecadster likes this.
  16. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Hi Mike, been so slammed with work and family....trying to find time to drive it!

Texas Forever likes this.
  17. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    This popped up recently. I thought I would put it here.

plastique999, Boomhauer and mikesufka like this.
  18. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    ^^^^

I just saw that …. Pretty awesome.

MDS

Thecadster likes this.
  19. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Inspirational.

20. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Also watched this....pure passion!

readplays and Thecadster like this.
  21. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    To that end, I'll share with you the thought I had when I saw the picture announcing you'd found an F40.
    For your grail car, I'd find it a designated spot in your garages where it's on the ground (I'd even go so far to say a spot where there isn't a lift with another car on top of it).
    Lifts can be practical and solve problems but I'll just go back to my original impression from seeing that photo- I'd use that bay/space for something else in the fleet and keep the F40 off a lift.
    Thanks for a great thread. I really enjoyed all the posts.
    Congrats on the F40. They are very special. Enjoy!

Dave

plastique999 likes this.
  22. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations Eddie!! Can’t believe I missed this thread at the end!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

plastique999 likes this.
  23. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Thank you! Very appreciative coming from you... your advice and comments have been extremely helpful and enabling

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  24. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    @plastique999 Revisiting this thread to see how you feel about your consolidation decision. I think some cars have come and gone so what do you think about the approach these few years later? I have a number of cars and that’s definitely fun at times but it’s also a drag in what’s required to keep them properly and not use them as much as I’d like. Lately I’ve been thinking of paring down but moving up in stratosphere so to speak. Maybe get to 5-6 important cars (not counting drivers). I just don’t know if that would be “better” or just different. What did you learn from the process?

Thecadster, -K1- and ryalex like this.