512 BB Briefcase Tool Kit | FerrariChat

512 BB Briefcase Tool Kit

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by mbuzz20, Oct 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mbuzz20

mbuzz20 Rookie

Jan 18, 2018
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Marc B.
    I have a '78 512 BB. I am looking to replace my tool kit, which unfortunately was stolen out of it while in storage. It was the original kit in the car, and was the briefcase style, with the red trays which held the tools. I never even thought to notice the brand name on the tools though. So, does anyone know what tools would be period correct for my year BB? I have seen a few different kits available out there, mainly on eBay, with different branded wrenches, some with the Poly Italy on front and Chrom Vanadium on back, some with No 22 Everest made in India, and some with Ferrari on front and Chrom Vanadium Kravm? Is there a way to know which type mine would have had? Anyone know of any other kits available out there than what is on eBay currently? Thank you!

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The ones with the red trays tend to have polytools wrenches in them and the case itself has no shiny trim around the perimeter which is right for my 400i or my 79 boxer. This is the later case / latest case style that came in a car from the factory. The one before it (original 78 case in my 79 boxer) has Everest tools, grey plastic trays and the case looks like the later one but with two thin chromed plastic ribs around the perimeter. The very first version has Everest tools as well but the case has an aluminum band around the perimeter at the lid opening and horizontal latches that fit into that perimeter band. Its the nicest looking kit of the three. There's one more version (which I also have) that has Kravm tools and in my opinion its the last version that was an over the counter offering. The case has a textured material rather than vinyl and a ferrari badge on the front a lot like the nose badge on our cars. I would say your car could've come with either the poly tool red tray or everest grey tray kit with either of the vinyl cases being 78. In my case my 78 case is not exactly correct for my 79 but I don't think I would be penalized at a judged event.

If you need pics of the 4 different versions and years I can do that.

3. ronc52

ronc52 Karting

Aug 25, 2010
    Full Name:
    Ron
  4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ incorrect pliers in the bottom case. i may have correct one.

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I would go with the top one with the 2 chrome strips for 78 which is the same as mine but has grey plastic non-flocked trays and Everest tools.

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #7 Newman, Oct 18, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    Left to right. 1978 boxer kit right out of a 78BB which is now for my 79. The next one over would be right for a 79 up carbed boxer as well as other 12 cylinder models as late as my 81 400i (its for my 400i). 1982 the 400i became a series 2 and had a half moon soft tool kit that fit in the front face of the spare wheel rather than the back side of the spare when they changed the load levelling system.

The tool kit on the right is what I believe to be an over the counter replacement kit.

I didn't show the lower trays but when the tool kit went into a boxer they just took the short plug wrench for the front engined cars out leaving an unused slot in the tray. The long wrench went in the boxer jack kit. The T handled tool is a carb tool. I would be lying if I said I knew for certain that they left it in the kit on an injected 400.

Slightly off topic but in 84 in the soft pouch the pliers had blue handles so if you find a set of those an 84 boxer owner would be happy to have them.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

George Vosburgh and Tonza like this.
  8. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    for those in need, i have extra poly tools wrenches and everest wrenches. pliers too.

9. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    so for the 512bbi, what was the correct tool kit?
    i think i have a brownish canvas tool roll, but i also have that belt at the front of the right front wheel surround guard.
    any thoughts?

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #10 Newman, Oct 19, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    Correct for a BBi is the typical dark brown tool roll with wrenches and then a zipped outer pouch that matches the interior color. The belt holds that pouch against the inner fender. When the car had the early brief case there was an extra support bracket near the wheel opening that kept the case level and stationary and the headlight mount base had a flat L bracket. Later cars lost that extra end bracket in favour of a revised headlight bracket that was C shaped and held the newer case. Then the Injected cars used that same C shaped headlight bracket to kind of hold the pouch.

11. TerryG!

TerryG! Karting

Feb 12, 2017
    Central UK
    Paul - your posts above are just so helpful. Those of us lucky enough to look after a Boxer generally have only one. Getting comparative information can be a long slog, often needing a measure of luck to succeed. We want our cars to be ‘right’ but finding out what that means is not easy - particularly as the build standard was constantly evolving at Ferrari. Your input helps a lot!

Tonza likes this.
  12. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    Please PM me -- I'm interested in your Everest wrenches.

13. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
  14. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon