512 tr Brake refresh | FerrariChat

512 tr Brake refresh

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by EZORED, Aug 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    The brakes need rebuilding on my 512 tr so I started looking for new rotors and parts last year. I was able to pick up a set of rear rotors from Euro Spares for a reasonable $265 dollars. Then I hit a wall looking for the front rotors. The few suppliers that even had them were asking $900+ each. A hard pill to swallow. I thought maybe I could get my old rotors resurfaced. So I removed one of the front rotors to get a better look at it, and to my surprise they had been replace by some weird semi floating rotor system. Great I can just buy a new rotor and use my existing hat. Finally figured out that they were made by a company RDD, and as far as I can tell are out of business. Finally a fellow FChatter turned me onto Coleman racing and they were able to make me new rotors for my existing hats for less than $700 for the pair. Score! I also bought a set of Porterfield pads upon this sites recommendation, and a set of vinyl coated SS flexible brake lines. I am now getting ready to start the job and I have decided to rebuild the calipers also. Can anyone give me a parts # for the caliper rebuild kit for the 512 tr? Finally, I thought I would replace the bleeders with speed bleeders, and was hoping some one could tell me the size that I will need? Thanks!

2. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Amazing, no one knows a part #?? or Source?

3. dontilgon

dontilgon Formula Junior

May 30, 2011
    NY/PA
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    There is no rebuild kit . Do a search , someone came close . I think it was Mel

4. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Yes, I have been in contact with Mel, he is looking around his garage trying to help me out!

5. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Finally gave up on finding a rebuild kit for the calipers and just reinstalled cleaned up and repainted calipers. Everything works and no leaks, so I will keep my fingers crossed. If anyone finds a source please post in the future!!!!!

6. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    front brakes are a safety issue
    spend the money and get it right
    you will be glad you did

7. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Trust me, everything looks and works good! I am old not stupid! I cant tell you how much computer time I spent trying to find a caliper rebuild kit or someone to do it. No luck! If anyone has a lead, I would pursue it!!

8. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Did PMB say "can't do 512TR calipers"?

9. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I tried to by the parts from them, but they said they did not have. I did not want to send the rotors to them as it was a long turnaround, and I did not the luxury of waiting on them.