Interlagos lost, viva Rio! | FerrariChat

Interlagos lost, viva Rio!

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifosi12, Oct 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Liberty wants to move the Brazilian GP from Interlagos back to Rio de Janeiro. They have plans for a new track, which would also be used for motorcycle racing. Some green organizations are going into opposition.

We'll see how this ends. I like Sao Paulo/Interlagos but wouldn't mind seeing a return to Rio.

2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Local "environmentalists" are opposed to the Rio track.

3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

This is a political mess. I see the race being lost potentially.

Boomhauer likes this.
  4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Anything is possible. Then again they held the Olympics there (still ticks me off to have lost to Rio). So what's a mere GP to be added to the infrastructure?

5. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Why not both. Brazilian GP & South American GP

Giallo 550 and Flavio_C like this.
  6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Meh.

I'd rather see the Buenos Aires GP being brought back to life.

william likes this.
  7. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Let's make it 3 then! Better than Sochi, Abu Dhabi, and that crap Singapore race

635CSI, kylec, mdrums and 3 others like this.
  8. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Sorry, but this F1 race in Rio won't happen in the next 20 years. No way. Either Liberty Media is believing in Santa Claus or they have suspicious interests.

First, in Brazil they destroyed one of the most beautiful F1 circuits in the world, Jacarepagua. After that Rio lost all its motorsport activities, local racing teams closed doors, and drivers have to travel to other states to race. Second, when Brazil was economically booming, Lula and his gang used the Olympics and the World Cup to steal as much money as they could. Third, the land where Liberty believes these Rio scam promoters will build the new track is in the end of the world, literally. It's a really ugly and dangerous place. And lastly, there is no way this project will be financially viable from an investor point of view. Most of the Olympics facilities are now rotting and I don't think that the population will accept taxpayer money being wasted again.

PS: the promoters behind this plan are the same who scammed Dorna for a MotoGP event in Brazil.

9. DF1

This ^^^^^ and why I posted political mess. Olympics were major tragedy overall and fiscal joke.

Flavio_C and Boomhauer like this.
  10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Sao Paolo is often one of the better races...why get rid?!

11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The "original track", the old Interlagos, was fantastic, the "true one" to my eye. Still can't understand why they shortened the track the way they did...

Rgds

DF1, Bas, Boomhauer and 1 other person like this.
  12. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    It was a FIA request. The old track was 7 (or 6) kilometers long if I'm not mistaken and deemed too long for "modern F1". Also, the high speed turns didn't have enough run off areas for modern F1 cars.

13. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Money. Liberty asked much more to renew the contract with Interlagos and both the mayor and the governor said they won't pay it.

Bas likes this.
  14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    What a shame.

I hope Liberty doesn't think it'll be a great idea to soon copy this and suddenly have a load of streetraces and drop proper tracks in favour...

15. Slick64

Slick64 Rookie

Nov 20, 2011
    I was at the last race at Jacarepagua in '89. I was 22yrs old and you could still get access in the pits. Nothing like today.

I'll have to dig up some old photos to scan.

16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    76 GP full race, no commentary

Flavio_C likes this.
  17. Slick64

Slick64 Rookie

Nov 20, 2011
    Welcome to Brazil! My parents were born and raised there. Nothing is simple there, kind of like Italy.

18. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    According to some sources that lived there, during that time there were no favelas or ugly residential buildings around the track. Interlagos was a suburb with only with the track, beautiful residential areas, and a few factories.

19. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Geez, that sequence of turn number 1,2,3, and 4!!!! Imagine that today!:eek:

Nembo1777 likes this.
  20. DF1

Yes this is not a surprise! Such economic issues are complex with many parties providing influence! :)

Boomhauer likes this.
  21. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    I recall we discussed this last year and the President mentioning the track would be built in 7months for a 2020/21 race o_O

Nembo1777 likes this.
  22. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    I've been to Interlagos 2x. First time to section G with all the futbol fans. Insane and fun. Second time to Orange tree club. More comfortable, but the restrooms were still under renovation on Saturday for quali and the brand new sod around the park was all parched and wasted. Thisbwas due to the water supply mismanagement and subsequent restrictions. Intersting place to watch but incomparable to the spectacle of section G. SPFC v Corinthians fans, dressed in costumes and chant led by club officers. Signs printed from "Gostosa" for the pretty ladies to "Desce filha da __uta!" Sit down m effer. :D The exchange rate was great but the corruption and graft from the Petrobras scandal overshadows even today under covid. I saw Alonso pass a Red Bull briefly under braking the first time at the end of the back straight, section G. Epic. Hooked ever since. They also have the huge banners that unroll over your head. Everyone helps to lift them up and make waves. SF and Red Bull at the time.

Nembo1777, Boomhauer and Flavio_C like this.
  23. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I have been to sector G too but also sector A, which is the best. Sector A is pretty long, but there is a tree there that "marks" the best spot to watch the race. You can see the cars coming through turns 13 and 14, you see the "reta oposta" and turn 4 braking point, and also that straght between turns 5 and 6. The only key part you miss is turns 1 and 2.

John_K_348 likes this.
  24. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    What did I say?

RIO DE JANEIRO AUTHORITIES END PLANS TO BUILD NEW F1 CIRCUIT

https://www.grandprix247.com/2021/02/02/rio-de-janeiro-authorities-end-plans-to-build-new-f1-circuit/

DF1 and Nembo1777 like this.
  25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Flavio_C likes this.