Ferrari Collection in Salem, OR | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Collection in Salem, OR

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Ron328, Oct 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CYB

CYB Karting

Jan 11, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Chris Burch
    I'm smelling an easy.....easy, 9 figure number going on here......

2. Johdel

Johdel Rookie

Sep 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    John De Luca
    Thanks for all the great photos!

3. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Rookie

Nov 19, 2012
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Wow. Just wow. Thanks for sharing this. If they ever open the Canuckian border I'm visiting!!

4. sjm999

sjm999 Rookie

Jul 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I think this is the Tonkin boys collection --- all started by their father Ron Tonkin many decades ago. Thrilled to hear it is open, will be heading there soon as I can't wait to see this - looks spectacular.

5. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    That's incredible. Thank you for sharing.

MDS

6. summerwave

summerwave Rookie

Oct 6, 2007
    Oregon USA
    Full Name:
    David H.
    This collection is not the Tonkins. Their collection is nice, but pales in comparison to The Brothers Collection

7. Fiorano 550

Fiorano 550 Rookie

Dec 18, 2012
    Thanks Ron328 for showing some pics from the NWRFCA 2020 Annual Meeting. We were the first group to view the collection and we had over 80 people in attendance on a rainy Sunday. As for The Brothers Collection, the plan as I understand, is to be opened next summer for group showings. The NWRFCA has already talked too Bart, one of the Brothers about having it as a destination for the FCA 2021 Annual Experience. As the RD and the Regional Chairman of the FCA 2021 AE I am the one who is setting it up. So it will be on the agenda. Several of the Ferraris, as you can see, are one offs as the original owners worked with the carrozzeria to fashion their unique Ferrari. The Brothers Collection is just one of several unique and exciting events we have on tap for 2021. The website for the FCA 2021 AE and Drive Oregon 2021, four separate, catered, three day drives to immediately following the Annual Experience, will be up soon.

Ron328, 4rextc and pdxjim488 like this.
  8. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    I want to be back in the USA.... Damn I love that place !!!!

9. summerwave

summerwave Rookie

Oct 6, 2007
    Oregon USA
    Full Name:
    David H.
    The Northwest Region FCA was the very first group allowed inside the museum. The museum has been in the process of development for over 4 years. It is still not completely ready for the public. For example, the gift shop is not yet stocked. There is a plan for a star-studded grand opening, but a date has not been set because of the pandemic. Until then, out of massive respect for the owners, those that were able to attend should not divulge the exact location.
    The primary function of the museum is for fundraising. All funds, including purchases from the gift shop, will be donated by The Brothers to needy organizations. The funds from our event were donated to a local women's shelter.
    Originally, there was no intention of making the museum open to the public. One of the brothers told me they are now planning to open the museum to the public infrequently. Those plans may change.
    As the original poster here noted, about 350 cars are on display in the museum. There are over 600 cars in the collection. And the inventory is constantly evolving. If The Brothers find a car that they covet that is better than the one they already own, they try to buy the better version and (maybe) sell the currently owned example.
    The majority of the collection is from the muscle-car era. Truly world-class, it's likely this is the pre-eminent muscle car collection on the planet.
    The imports are also notable. An alloy 275, FXX originally presented to Roger Penske that has 80 miles on the odometer, 2 one-off Ferrari's, the Ferrari boat, a Lusso, the 330 shark nose with stunning paint, F40, F50, Enzo, Daytona, Barchetta, 330GTS, Series II 250GT Pininfarina Cabriolet and a dozen more notable Ferrari's. A Bizzarini, Maserati MC12, Jaguar XJ220, Bugatti Veyron, 918 Spider, Saleen S7, a total of 6 modern Ford GT's AND the original prototype (!!). An incredible Shelby/Cobra section including the one and only Peter Brock Type 65 427 Daytona Super Coupe. There's also a handful of vintage motorcycles, and a stunning array of massive vintage neon signage, and we haven't even made it to the largest part of the museum housing the muscle car collection. A truly remarkable, stunning, sensory-overload experience.

Doug D, tomc, donv and 2 others like this.
  10. JK101

JK101 Rookie

Jul 27, 2013
    A fair few of those cars appear to be ex Don Wallace from Florida.

I vividly remember that Orange MC12 from DW. The black parts are actually exposed carbon and the car has the engine from a FXX, at least that is what I was told.

11. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'm guessing that Jay Leno is aware of this collection (if, in fact, he hasn't seen it already).

12. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
  13. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    My friends dark blue Ferrari 250 LWB California with open head lights with a silver BMW 507 hard top sold for just $3.5MM about 8 years ago

14. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    To be a bit more specific, 1307 GT last sold 13 August 2015 at The Pinnacle Portfolio auction by RM Sotheby's in Monterey for US$ 8.5 M total/all incl..
    And the "about 8 years ago" was actually on the 1st of May 2011 when 1307 GT sold at the RM auction Villa Erba, Italy, for a total of US$ 3'596'040 to Mr. T. for Mr. A.
    Thereafter it sold 3 times more until August 2015.
    Sorry for being so pedantic.

Marcel Massini

summerwave, 375+ and stevewak like this.
  15. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    The bulk of the Tonkin collection is in a generic warehouse near downtown Portland. It’s one of those, unless you know it’s there, you’d never know it’s there things.

16. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
  17. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
  18. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    It's nondescript on the outside, and very nice on the inside!

Art360Spider likes this.
  19. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I imagine the cars will stay with their owner (well, the stuff which wasn't on loan from others), and probably go back in the warehouse. Some stuff will probably be sold.

GIOTTO likes this.
  20. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Great info thank you. What a increase in value in just 4 years. Sold for a low number in 2011 but then for a large number at The Pinnacle where every thing was selling for a lot including a Miura SV I bought at that sale that was priced high. I believe the Cali didn’t sell on the auction block, but post sale. 2015 prices were the height of the market.

21. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Correct, yes.
    Post auction sale.
    And yes, 2015 was peak.

Marcel Massini

22. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Do you still have the SV, Geno?

23. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #50 enio45, Oct 17, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Speaking of collections - I sold 3 of my hi end Camaro's to the gentleman who owns and built the American Muscle Car museum in Melbourne Florida. He as well, uses the museum for charity events....well over 300 cars on the floor and another 50-100 to circulate in and out. Amazing collection of Muscle!

https://www.americanmusclecarmuseum.com/

375+ likes this.