New Road and Track article on the C8 at Watkins Glen | FerrariChat

New Road and Track article on the C8 at Watkins Glen

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by darkkaangel, Oct 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    "stopwatch estimates" cmon even an I phone can acurately measure laptimes and I think the vette has systems to do it too.
    assuming its really 2:10 , lest say 2:11 is a good time for a street car with no other traffic on track, 997 Gt3 tyoe times and slower than a cayman Gt4..
    Ive seen z28s do into the 2,12s.

Meanwhile light steering over steer under steer all apprently to save people who cant be trusted in a me car, cmon.
    The track setup on a c8 vette -3 degrees camber, other me cars don't need this to work on track.
    What the article realtiticaly says is it has great drive off corners and the rest can use work..

The article is a shill piece if ever there was one. So far the C8 is a great lux Gt, arguably the great exotic lux Gt of 2020.

We wait to see what its real potential is with the z06. Based on all the press articles, the C8 even with z51 is really compromsied as a drivers car on track, but yes the potential is there.

2. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Yep, its a car you can drive everyday plus have fun at the track and do very well as is and its not an extreme version, its just the start.
    I have driven on track with mine and I did not "need" the track camber, would it have been helpful sure and if all you intend to do is be a track jockey with your C8 then set it up that way and the understeer crap that some write about is way overblown and laughable.
    My experience with the car which is not based on press articles and considering I drive mine lets say 90% street and 10% track the car is exactly how it should be and does fantastic.
    I am sure the Z06 version will be that and then some with a few compromises the other way.
    I have my 2 day track school scheduled with my c8 at Spring Mountain in Pahrump NV on December 29th & 30th of this year which I am looking forward to getting some extra track time and some learning from the instructors on how to get the most out of the car on track. :)

thecarreaper likes this.
  3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Lets just say that so far the C8 does not have great dynamic balance at the limit. Its also setup to be a Gt car which is smart because thats 90+% of buyers.
    There is some concern because the c5 was dynamicaly good from ver 1.0 and I cant think of another mid engined car that needs -3 degrees negative camber to work well on track(yes they may all benefit from it)

The issue could be as simple as bushing choices roll bars or shocks, or even meeting some acrane Gm edict. There appears to be some pronounced miscomunication between the front and rear ends near the limit, there is not a scribe who has not comented on this in one form or another. The cause of this we do not know.

As always with vettes this is just ver 1.0 and this platform will be in production for 10-20 years improving with each iteration. As it is is now, its a reasonably well made, fine and exciting lux Gt mid engined exotic, thats also affordable driveable and non ruinous to run. That puts the vette in a class of its own. Gm took a risk going Me and I believe the sales results are showing it has paid off. As Mayor and otehr have comented its great at what it is, and we should not expect this version to be somehting its not.

Porche has managed to stretch the 911 and Cayman patforms in multiple directions, lets see what potential is baked into the C8 platform and how far Gm takes it.

LARRYH likes this.