Italy and Coronavirus | Page 18 | FerrariChat

Italy and Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Albert-LP, Feb 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Thank you Nerofer. I wish everyone good health and safety

2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Thanks; we will need it. It's not looking good: the number of new cases daily has crept above 1.000 last week. Of course, this is not on the same scale that what you have in the US, but we are back to numbers not seen since the end of the lock-down in May. The "scientific advisory board" said yesterday that the country is walking on a thin wire, and that very little could tip it into a second wave, which, to them, seems more and more probable for the Autumn.
    Spain has declared officially 5.760 new cases in the last 24h, numbers not seen since the highest point of the pandemy in mid-April.
    It's back, with a vengeance.

Rgds

3. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Also here in Italy cases are growing up: we are around 500 new cases each day, while two weeks ago they were the half . Young people don't follow completely the safeties rules and the virus is still there. Hope you all are well, as the battle is still very far from ending

Ciao

4. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    Speak with my Aunt in Paris every week, she said that masks must be worn while driving now?? in France? maybe I misunderstood? She said it has been very hot lately, people are at the beaches and still taking Holiday.

5. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    In theory, and this is confirmed by the Police, you must wear a mask while driving IF you are driving in a city that has decided to make the mask mandatory in certain zones in the open (= Streets, parks, etc...) AND you are driving through one of this zones; the Police will be especially severe for the drivers of open cars. Outside these zones, no, it's not mandatory to wear one while driving, but you must have one in the car at the ready, just in case you need it.

Yes, it has been rather hot the last six days, about 36-37° Celsius every day (97-98° F) and it doesn't cool down much during the night. But it's not only the beaches and the hot weather that are responsible of the return of infections, but the "Holiday spirit", which make people relax, forget protection measures, and take unnecessary risks.

The prime minister spoke on Tuesday evening, begging everyone to be very serious, and saying that the numbers show we are now indeed tipping into the "second wave": average daily new infections last week has risen again, at 1,494, versus 1,057 the week before...and 300 daily average during the last week of May.

It's not looking good...I have to chop more wood for the probable winter lock-down...

Rgds

Dai Baracca likes this.
  6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yes I'm fine Alberto, thanks, and taking as much precautions as possible. It's a pity for Italy, which had such a terrible period during March and April, but then had succeeded in stopping the pandemy in May - June and July, to see it creeping up again.
    Yes I agree, that battle is far from being over...
    Stay safe.

Rgds

Albert-LP likes this.
  7. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Again, may I extend to our Euro friends our best wishes for good health and safe lives. We miss our visits and are eager to return, and we shall as soon as we can safely do so (and we can find a plane). Keith

Albert-LP likes this.
  8. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    we are back at 5000+ new cases per day

9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Interesting that I was going to check in here yesterday to see what was going on
    5000? Are the tests accurate?

10. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    How many are being hospitalized and how many are dying? "Cases", just like here is a useless number .

tonyswfla likes this.
  11. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Yes, they are

The good news is that only 10% or less are real ill and even much less are hospitalized. Fatalities are less than 20 or 30 per day over 60 M+ population. They say the today figures are not comparable with March ones, as they supposed the March real figures were ten times more. We have many new cases but most of them don't have any simptom.

Saabguy and G. Pepper like this.
  12. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I was thinking of heading down (I'm in Poland) to Alba to attend the Truffle Festival this weekend. I was somewhat surprised to see the Truffle Festival was still going on in covid times (my memory from 4 years ago is that the weekend venue is very crowded, basically rubbing against people the entire time).

Does anyone have any knowledge of this year's festival and if any new government pronouncements this week have changed anything?

Risk of things changing in coming days?

I'm worried about travel restrictions changing and any format changes/cancellations at the festival (I've been in Poland for 2 weeks, so my understanding is that I can enter Italy from Poland for tourism)...

13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Curfew in eight of the major cities in France, from 21:00 to 6:00, starting this Saturday. Truth is that the only really efficient answer would be another quarantine (lock-down) but it would kill the economy. On average last week, 15.000 new cases a day, with a spike one day at 23.000. More testing mean more new cases, but the alarming fact is that the urgency services in the hospitals will probably reach saturation at the end of October, meaning that the doctors will face difficult choices deciding who to treat and who has to wait. Fatalities are 60 a day on average, and rising.
    Not looking good at all...
    Lock-down from mid-March to mid-May was globally successful (mitigated by some hesitant decisions and logistic troubles); but the infections started to creep up again after mid-July.
    On the whole, Italy had harder times than France in the Spring, but considering the rise of the second wave, France did much worse.

Hope it is better in Louisiana, Lester...

Rgds

14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I really have no clue about Italy, and we should ask Alberto, of course; but I work with a number of collegues of italian origin who are still traveling to Italy quite regularly.
    You have to be careful with the flights, which can get cancelled at random, when there aren't enough passengers, etc...
    France has decided yesterday not to enforce more travel restrictions, so the borders are not closed; it is possible in theory to come here by plane and leave back, provided that you are compliant with the rules applying to each country of origin. My sister visited from Mexico (she lives in Baja California) and flew back last week without trouble.
    As for us traveling abroad, some countries do not accept us at all (we are "High-risk country"), some others only after quarantine. And most, if not all, business travels are cancelled for an unknown period of time.

Rgds

15. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Nerofer. Wishing you well. This a nightmare without end it seems. Our French family is suffering and we miss our friends in Roma and Tuscany, but going without a holiday (for us) is a very very small inconvenience compared to the life threatening possibilities we all are facing. Dieu soit avec vous

16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Thanks. We are doing our best to be careful, but I have to say that I am rather taken aback by the management of the summer restart, or rather by the lack of management. As soon as mid-July, it was obvious from the figures that the pandemy was creeping up again; and, for instance, the medical authorities of the city of Marseille were already finding traces of the virus in the waste water of the city. Nothing was done, probably not to hinder the catching-up of the economy.
    At the begining of September, the figures were already alarming, whereas the big companies were ending the "tele-working" from home...
    The security measures were not strictly enforced, the mask-wearing was not very well checked, many wore the mask under the nose, etc...
    According to some medical authorities (I say "some", because during these times, opinions vary...) this week was the very last limit to act if the government really wanted to stop the virus.
    I wouldn't mind the eight weeks lock-up in the spring, I wouldn't mind the hesitations about the masks, etc...if that respite has not been squandered so quickly by not being careful enough during the summer; and the signs of the pandemy come-back were already everywhere, for everyone to see.
    Now the curfew is about to start on Saturday for the eight main cities for four weeks, extended to six as soon as a legal technicality would be overcome. Family reunions of more than six persons not allowed. Traveling in the country is still allowed, no restriction.

Rgds

(Apologies to the U.S readers: of course, this post is very french-centric; I'm aware that the situation in the United States is difficult too, and aware of what the figures are; and aware that the situation varies a lot from city to city, county to county, state to state)

NbyNW and 375+ like this.
  17. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Here in Italy yesterday we had the highest new cases figure ever, over 10k. Government is evaluating some restrictions, but they said only local lockdown and not the whole country. Fairsand so on are still allowed, but with safety restrictions. You have to wear a mask all day when you are outside (one week old safety measure).

The big vintage car fair in Padova will be next week and it's not cancelled and the 1000 Miglia race will be next week too

Ciao

arizonaitalian likes this.
  18. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Thanks for the update.

I decided not to travel for the Truffle fest given the evolving restrictions in both Italy and Poland (and pretty much everywhere) that have changed seemingly daily for the past week. I still can't believe the truffle fest is going on! Regardless, while I've flown across the Atlantic a couple of times and eat out and travel via train a fair bit, I decided going to Italy this weekend was simply reckless (and wasn't sure what i'd be able to do anyways). So stayed home in Poland. Bummed to miss some meals in Piedmonte and Roma...hopefully next year...

Albert-LP likes this.
  19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    According to the John Hopkins Institute figures, France is this morning now the 7th country in the world with above one million contamination cases...the winter will be difficult.

Rgds

20. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I have to say that I am getting more and more pessimistic about next year...perhaps the one after that, that is 2022.

Rgds

21. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Yesterday here in Italy 15k new infected...

Problems are big towns like Milan, Naples and Rome where infection spreads quickly

22. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Keep it safe, Alberto; we are still one lunch (or one dinner...) late! I shall try to do my best to stay safe also...

Rgds

absostone and Albert-LP like this.
  23. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    It certainly is cause for concern. Though I am not surprised at the rising numbers in Europe or the US. Testing (at least in the US) is readily available and Politicians are quick to point out the growth in the testing numbers. More tests=more known infections for certain. Unfortunately with statistics, especially when you are dealing with something like this, can get skewed. By that I mean, as was mentioned earlier, as the numbers have risen, how many new Hospitalizations have occurred? and of those how many end up in Critical Care? and finally how many souls are lost? Those are very important numbers to know.
    And yes, as we open up more, we are more exposed potentially to the virus. I sincerely believe that we need to be open BUT we need to truly enforce all the safety guidelines put in place. When speaking of social venues, be strict with compliance on the part of the venue and those who go. Make consequences severe for non-compliance. Even though "Italy" is open, she is still suffering from the lack of Tourism that brings $$$$$ to the Nation. My cousin used to own a Hotel in Rapallo and he said the new owner is really struggling to keep the doors open. Americans made up the majority of the patrons.
    I hope that @Albert-LP and @nerofer you and your families are safe and sound, and that the economic disruption hasn't effected you as hard.
    @nerofer, I speak to my Zia in France every Sunday and she tells me of the social unrest starting up again? is that so?

Albert-LP likes this.
  24. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Our family in Turin is concerned also. They’re taking every precaution.

Albert-LP likes this.
  25. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani