Grundy vs. Hagerty | FerrariChat

Grundy vs. Hagerty

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by arkferrari, Oct 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arkferrari

arkferrari Karting
    BANNED

Feb 9, 2004
    Hot Springs, AR
    Full Name:
    B.F. Mitchell
    I have been with Hagerty for 4 years without claims or problems. Before my annual renewal next month, I am getting a quote from Grundy. Past archived posts have helped but not are newer than 2018. What do you say about each?

David Begg likes this.
  2. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Why not go to one of those websites that gives you quotes from multiple companies?

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think the conclusion after a recent thread is Grundy much cheaper, but Hagerty pretty much allows you to do anything you want with the car.

baschul, Jkuz and Texas Forever like this.
  4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Chubb is also good and allows everything.. I am considering changing to chubb ..

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

5. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I used both, currently Grundy.

Hagerty has weird requirements sometimes, like attending events or joining a club or something

Grundy is cheaper

6. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    With my 84 QV, same coverage, same $80k agreed value, Hagerty quoted me three times as much as Grundy, so I chose Grundy and I’m very happy with them. I also know four people who switched from Hagerty to Grundy.

f355spider likes this.
  7. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
  8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    strange, I heard the opposite here on FerrariChat, so called my AIG/Grundy agent and he confirmed they limit some things that would normally be done in daily driver like going to store. I heard Hagerty didn't have restrictions like that, but I had no one to confirm with directly.

9. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Grundy says I can’t drive it to work (never do anyway)

Hagerty would not let me renew until unless I joined a car club and went to shows, which is just bizarre.

10. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

Grundy never even replied to emails or phone messages when I inquired if they could match or beat Hagerty. I've been with Hagerty for seven plus years without any issues or silly requirements (car memberships, clubs,etc) as stated earlier.

11. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I wonder if it was a local issue for where I live. Who knows

12. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I forgot to mention that Grundy doesn’t have limitation on mileage which is another plus, at least with my car.

LARRYH likes this.
  13. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I got Grundy VIP. The policy is with AIG. I have 5 cars in the policy. I haven't made any claims though, so who knows how good they are.

14. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I use Heacock Classic (used to be Parish Heacock). Great policies and low cost.

15. steven t evans

Jul 24, 2020
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Evans
    44 years in the insurance bizzzzz , retired now but my 2 cents. I wrote more JIm Grundy policys than Hagerty...seems all the specility writers slept with each other over the weekend and all new rules on monday morning. Best advice is READ the restrictions page of the policy and shop it every year.If shopping a new potential carrier ask for a sample policy. The claims adjuster can only follow the policy language. Was a bad lad and got two photo radars last year and now im on the wrong side of the desk and getting my clock cleaned.....LOL Ride safe Brothers

16. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    I went from Hagerty to Condon and Skelly and got the same coverage for a third of the price. I love Hagerty as a company, but not enough to pay them three times what I'm paying now. C and S has been around forever, and I couldn't find anything detrimental about them out there so decided to take a chance.

17. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    I use Haggerty for 30+ years currently only have one car on the policy was up to 4. I joined them because there was no milage restrictions and I used to take my car 500 miles to a show every year. They also believed the car should be used - got to the grocery store run a quick errand but restrictions have been changing over time.

I was not required to join any clubs. That said I did join there drivers club since it provided flat bed service I think up to 200 miles along with road side assistance. I have used this service 3 or 4 times include having my 360 flatbed to a shop for service when it first arrived. The premium plan covers all my cars not just the one Clasic on the policy.

I did't use Haggerty for the 360 since there are too many restrictions for example we would like to take the car for a trip for a few days Clasic policy's frown on this and may not cover the car if there was a problem. :(

Restricted use is just that take it out for the day or bring it to a show ;)
    Since the car is stored 6 months a year (north east) their policy was double what I spend with State Farm with no restrictions and they offer storage insurance which is only a few dollars a month where Haggerty is a flat fee for the year.

Agree with Steven above read the policy so you know your coverage!

steven t evans likes this.
  18. seven64sls

seven64sls Rookie

Nov 25, 2008
    IL & MI
    Full Name:
    Steve
    My theory is that the real test of an insurance company is what occurs when a significant claim is made. I have had Hagerty for several years and unfortunately experienced a fairly major claim a while back. On my way to a Concours early one Sunday morning a driver in an SUV who had worked all night fell asleep and clobbered the right rear of my 328. From the moment I called the 800 number to when I finally picked up the the vehicle everything went like clockwork with not a dime out of my pocket for the repairs. Roughly $40k in body damage and another $10k in mechanical repairs when the car would not run properly - damage to the fuel injection ECU that is in the right rear. Flatbed home from the accident, flatbed to the restoration shop of my choice, flatbed to the local Ferrari dealer all paid for by Hagerty.
    Yes, some of the other Insurance companies might be less expensive but will they require you to take your classic Ferrari to the shop of their choice (MAACO ?) Plus, I believe if the repair estimate is greater than about 80% of the agreed value, but Hagerty will pay out that value and let you keep the damaged vehicle if you want it repaired on your own dime.
    I had the good fortune of meeting McKeel Hagerty and several other Hagerty employees at an event in CO a few years ago and that experience convinced me to switch to an insurer where I actually had the name of a contact to reach out to if I ever had an issue. They were very approachable individuals compared to my previous insurer where everything was done online without any human contact.
    There were several other minor details during this experience that were handled professionally and without the nickle and diming I recall from claims made with other insurers in well over 50 years of driving.
    You get what you pay for !

obertRo, IloveGT and TTR like this.
  19. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    USAA is best if
    u can get it

20. gt corsa

gt corsa Rookie

Jan 12, 2014
    pacific palisades ca
    Full Name:
    dennis white
    I was in the insurance business for 43 years and represented both Chubb and AIG. Dealing with Chubb is a heck of a lot different than dealing with AIG! Currently with Chubb for 7 cars, Alfas, Ferrari, Aston, Porsche, Maserati.

steven t evans, TTR and rob lay like this.
  21. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    I have never had a claim with Haggerty and hope if I ever do it goes as smooth as yours! :)
    I am still sorry to hear you needed them :(

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Interesting, I have always had a personal contact at AIG, I can do everything by email and he responds within a business day. It has been very very easy for me. I have never had a claim though and although their quotes were a third of Hagerty, my ex recently found insurance for the 328 half of AIG with a broker.

Auraraptor likes this.
  23. AxleRose

AxleRose Rookie

Jan 31, 2018
    Full Name:
    Anthony Drewitz
    I've been with Hagerty for probably 15 years, and have also used Grundy (though not anymore, wanted to simplify down to one insurer). With Hagerty I've had a minor claim from a light rear-ending, and two major claims (one stolen car, and one totaled car). In all cases, Hagerty offered phenomenal customer service, allowing me full control over shops used and the quality of the repairs. In the case of the totaled car I was able to retain the car in a very smooth process. They seem to be "real" car people there, and it shows in their treatment of customers & cars.

24. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Based on 4+ decades in this hobby and 3+ in restoration business, this ^^ aligns with my observations regarding insurances for "specialty" (classic/exotic/vintage/etc.) vehicles.
    Not to mention, should one have a significant claim, be prepared to get dropped next time policy is up for renewal.

25. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I have used Grundy for four different Ferraris over the past 20 years. Great service, very few restrictions (like no driving to work), and yes, I have unfortunately made a couple claims, one was a total on a 308 I owned 18 year ago. I also had a bumper repair on my 355. All claims were handled very quickly with no restrictions on where I took it for repair. Very professional. I inquired with Hagerty, as they are a big sponsor of local car events in the Pacific NW. I even know the local representative, who is a big car guy (as is his dad)....but their rates were well over double what I am currently paying for the same coverage, so hard pass.