What is this Ferrari boat? | FerrariChat

What is this Ferrari boat?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Brewersprts, Sep 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brewersprts

Brewersprts Karting

Aug 23, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Donnie
    So I was boating out on Lake Tarpon this weekend and saw this Ferrari boat.

Anyone know what it is?

I’ve done much googling and can’t find it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Sorry, nothing at all to do with any Ferrari, ever. Just a piece of **** plastic tub painted red with a few dime-store decals pasted on. Probably with a Mercruiser 4cyl hiding under the 'handle' at the stern.... The 'toon next to it has more integrity.....:rolleyes:
    This is the only boat ever to wear the prancing horse logo legally.....and even it was just barely blessed by Ferrari's engineering department, not least because it was BPM-powered, not by a Ferrari motor.....:D

3. INRange

INRange F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    No no no.....this is THE Ferrari race boat: :)

https://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/listing/1952/ferrari/arno--xi/2065234

bball16 and SAFE4NOW like this.
  4. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    INRange likes this.
  5. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    #5 tritone, Sep 28, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Sorry, nope.:D The Arno never wore the Ferrari logo in its original era; it only got that in its last/most recent restoration, when it became clear that it made a BIG difference in value! Ferrari-powered yes, and with the blessing and assistance of the Commendatore; but not from the works.
    Nit-picking, I know......:D
    And then there's this......
    O.M.F.G.! start around the 2:00 mark, then turn up the volume and hang on! Those crazy ****ing Italians!!

6. INRange

INRange F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD

Love the video. I can't find a single photo to support that it wasn't badged by Ferrari in it's original form. The restoration was allegedly supervised by Ferrari Classiche (so I suppose they could re-write history if they chose to).

What I was surprised to find was the boat sold in 2012 for $967k and is currently up for sale. Even if it sold at $1.5-2M it is a very unique piece of history.

7. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    bball16 and INRange like this.
  8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Ferrrari at one point in the 80's was softly marketing BBI motors for boats, there was boat test with a twin setup and these motors in some magazine way back when. Porche was doing the same with 928 motors and mercury had some prototype 80s ZR1 motors.

OHC high rev motors make no sense for boats, being complex and having the pwer in the worng part of the rev range, plus the throttle response of a OHC motor is irrelevant ona boat. Your USA iron block pushrod motor is ideal for boat aplications for numerous reasons.

tritone likes this.
  9. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    I drove one of the twin 928-powered boats at Tahoe. Lotta fun! They only had sea-level props mounted tho, so lots of revs but not much bite. They <said> they radared 88mph......but I dunno......Great sound!

10. jjeanamantog

jjeanamantog Rookie

Nov 30, 2021
    Full Name:
    Alex Hills
    All what I know about Ferrari and boats, is that they assembled in 50s a unique boat that was able to pass over the speed record.

11. jjeanamantog

jjeanamantog Rookie

Nov 30, 2021
    Full Name:
    Alex Hills
    I saw on tv that this boat is looking for a new proprietor, and together with it he will get the certification that confirms the break of the speed record. In my opinion this boat is good to be considered as a collectible masterpiece of ferrari’s experience in boat industry. If I were to choose between boats and yachts, my choice will fall on yachts. A fellow used yacht rental miami, during his summer holidays and was totally pleased by the serices that were provided to him.

12. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Very belated response, but see below:
    The current iteration (color pix above) of the boat was done by Timossi for 2nd owner Nando dell' Orto around 1957. Streamlined nose (2 different versions), engine cover, cockpit & tail section with fin. This is what Classiche was involved with (and how/why Ferrari agreed to the badge). Plenty of evidence that Ferrari was extremely accommodating re the motor, but never actually presented as "a Ferrari".
    Close enough I guess, in this era......:cool:

Schultz and INRange like this.
  13. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
  14. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
  15. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Here is a video of it with the latest owner in front of me taking a video of it.

16. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James