Deciding on a 2019 Pista Coupe | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Deciding on a 2019 Pista Coupe

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by hairdoc, Oct 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I won’t deny that, I’m going off speed though. To be honest, as much as the F8 surprised me by feeling underwhelming via its accelerative qualities vs expectations is as much as the TTS felt overwhelming. Especially the launch control. Wow.

2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    A rear engine 911 tts just puts power straight down on a launch. If you think the tts feels insane try and get a drive in a Gt2. It may not launch as well but my god it puts such immediate power down on corner exit it pulls out like nothing else. Zero lag - just all go. The throttle is so responsive. I got straight out of 2 days in a tts back into the Gt2 and its like night and day good to drive. I pity anything that comes up against it.

mdrums likes this.
  3. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    there will be a 992 GT2, I’m sure you’ll be all over it. The huge wings though aren’t my thing. I personally think they look silly and out of place on the road. I’m sure to drive it’s fantastic.

4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Drive it and it will give you whole new perspective on a 911 and, anything else for that matter. It's a savage animal that gives so much yet commands such respect in the process. A true driving machine.

tekaefixe likes this.
  5. hairdoc

hairdoc Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2015
    canada
    Full Name:
    HR
    you are right, i am giving up on the convertible factor, but with the 458 spider and the porto, i drove them with the roof up 95% of the time. i like the idea of the spider, but i prob won't miss it.

Right on. this is what i am thinking. by next year or two, the options will open up to get a depreciated car of choice, if not i still have the pista and i am ok with that.

Great suggestion, and i will ask the dealer for snow tires that can be fitted before pick up and i can switch back to summer ones next spring.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  6. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Agree the 2RS is epic. Looks like it (and the MR) are about to be dethroned...

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Let me also suggest you get the Pista covered in PPF- I have 2500 miles on my car and this car takes rock chip impacts like nothing I’ve ever seen. My car has all kinds of little impacts and scratches intro the film - especially the front end/ S-Duct area. The side lower flanks ahead of the rear tires also have them. I would be miserable right now if I didn’t have film protecting my cars paint. As it is I am thinking I will have to replace the front end film in another year.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

8. hairdoc

hairdoc Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2015
    canada
    Full Name:
    HR
    good point, the car already has the front end protected with 3M. which is great.
    it also looks like i will be picking up car on friday.

LARRYH, Caeruleus11 and Jo Sta7 like this.
  9. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    $400,000 for a Mercedes AMG GTR? No thanks!

LARRYH, xBox, Drson and 1 other person like this.
  10. Mortarion

Mortarion Karting

Jun 6, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Jase
    If I had the option of choosing between a Pista & F8, it would be the Pista. But being in New Zealand, there are no second hand Pistas for sale, so I had to place a order on the F8.

11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!

12. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    With fake exhaust noise piped through the stereo speakers.....

13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    It's clearly fast but Hockenheim time is not the Nurburgring. Let's see it beat gt2's 6.40.3

Also looks like the Benz has blatantly copied the rear end of the GT2rs lol. How unoriginal can you get! Doesn't sound good either.

14. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I’ve been told to expect the GT BS to take an official run at the ‘Ring in the next several days once the weather clears. I personally wouldn’t underestimate AMGs ability to pull off a new record. It seems the car has spent much of its development life at that track so I expect it to be pretty dialed in.

Agree it sounds horrible.

Caeruleus11 and Shadowfax like this.
  15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Let's wait and see. Plenty have tried and failed. I'm personally not a fan of the lead tipped arrow look with that very long front end. The proportions remind me of an e type Jag. The best looking part of the car is the rear end view but that's just a direct take off from Porsches Gt2. I think Benz needs to exercise some originality and drop the overly long front end - desirably build a mid engine car.

16. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Isn’t the long nose precisely what makes it unique? There are plenty of mid engine supercars to choose from out there. The world doesn’t really need another in my opinion.

Ash Patel likes this.
  17. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I have many laps at Sebring and other tracks in the south in 997 and 991 Porsche cars...GT3's, Turbo's etc. They are such a well put together, designed package and on track will out run many cars, more exotic cars, more powerful cars. Track the heck out of them and never develop a single rattle much less ever break down. I miss my 2018 GT3 so so much. A GT2RS would be a dream. For now I am trying to enjoy my 488GTB as much as I can and give it a chance for a few years.

Shadowfax likes this.
  18. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    am I missing something here? 2019 pista are sold with premium? is it because it is in Canada?

19. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    if the baseline comparison is F8 and I meant no disrespect to anyone who ordered and owned one, then In understand why the pista is on the rise again. The F8 spider was almost as brutal as the taycan turbo S even in the sound department (you read that right), except the start up. The performances of the neck breaking torque of the taycan made me feel like I was in a millennium falcon and I was listening to the mozart on the burmester speaker option simultaneously. For the F8, I could not know when to shift at all by listening to the sound alone and I just know I am driving fast like in a taycan. My 4c spider with a 1.7L turbo engine and akrapovic exhaust option sadly is 5x better in the sound department.

So I surmise Pista is indeed very special given the direction Ferrari is taking and I can see why the price is still strong. Good for the Pista owners!

Shadowfax likes this.
  20. Well, the F8 (and the 488 before that) are certainly GT cars, maybe not as much as say a Roma or Portofino, but Ferrari has certainly shifted the needle for its "regular" mid-engined V8 sports cars to the GT side versus the sports car side of the meter.

I guess this is one way to differentiate the "regular" production mid-engine V8 sports cars from the more track focused iterations (like the Speciale, CS, or Pista)

21. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #47 Shadowfax, Oct 16, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    Benz's long nose angry face styling does nothing for me and the best looking part of the car - the rear end - totally lacks any form of originality. The sound is also crap. I'm sure plenty will buy them but I wont be one of them. I'd prefer to buy something atmo and high revving with exotic looks. The only car I see on the horizon would be lambos STO but even that has ergonomic issues unfortunately. I love the modern tech and improved handling but the engine, sound, and physical look of a car is a big part of the equation for me.

I can honestly say when it comes to a really fun super connected and engaging drivers car it's hard going past a 530hp 991Gt3rs on a windy mountain rd. On a circuit i'm sure the Benz will be exciting but outside of that I have my doubts. The unrelenting pursuit of power and speed that is continuing to go on is doing little to improve the driving experience and is just making these new cars less enjoyable imo

22. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I think enjoy the 488gtb while you can - as I did with mine - but if you want or need to hold it for the foreseeable future it I wouldn't recommend you getting behind the wheel of a gt2 in the meantime or it will ruin you. What completely ended the 488 love affair for me was my first country run in a gt2rs. It was never the same after that as the gt2 exposed all 488's flaws very badly. Essentially all the 488 was left with was an exotic look. Even 488's hand of god acceleration the gt2 beat it on as well. It is just such a better car to drive and infinitely more exciting.

mdrums likes this.
  23. hairdoc

hairdoc Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2015
    canada
    Full Name:
    HR
    Updating the thread.
    I picked up the car 10 days ago and drove it home (about 200km). It was raining and cold. I would say it was the most nerve wracking yet exhilarating ride in a long time.
    To my pleasant surprise, it had only 350 on odometer. hardly driven since initial delivery.
    i have had few runs in better weather in last few days and oh boy does it go. the only concern is speeding tickets:).
    All the CF, blends in so well with the argento nurburgring. its stunning. i can't stop staring at it.
    i added and extra set of pista wheels and tires to combat our pot holed roads. i will save the original spec'd carbon fiber wheels for tracking at a future time.

Attached Files:

Andynyc, Dr. K, Carrerarsr and 5 others like this.
  24. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Congrats gorgeous!!