488 exhaust options | FerrariChat

488 exhaust options

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Jonny English, Oct 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jonny English

Jonny English Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2017
    Poole, Dorset
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'm hoping we can put together a list of all exhaust options available with costs and rating. It seems to me that the cat delete is favoured from what I can tell and for the UK guys has this made it difficult to get it through its annual MOT?

I will start:

Novitec - with remote and cat delete pipes £9.8K inc VAT

2. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
  3. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    You could try a Larini with its 200 cell cats.No ECU upgrade needed and very good value compared to Novitec. Another home grown exhaust maker is Brookes who make an Inconel exhaust for the 488 but not down pipe options.

4. Jonny English

Jun 14, 2017
    Poole, Dorset
    Full Name:
    Jon
    So ...

Brookes (Inconel) - Rear Section £3.3k
    Larini 200 cell cat system £2.4K

5. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    I have a 488 and was looking for an exhaust upgrade but have now decided to wait until next year. Those in the know claim that the biggest bang for buck is to replace just the cat pipe with the 200 cell option. Larini's sounds pretty impressive and i did speak to them when i had my 458 but switched to a 488 instead.
    Give Scuderia Parts a phone as they seem to be very well informed when i spoke to them.They suggested a Capristo for my old 458 as i'd already told them i was too tightfisted to fork out for a Novitec.

6. superfluous

superfluous Karting

Oct 4, 2020
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Gabe
    I don't know much about exhausts, but previous owner said mine is straight pipes novitec with some capristo parts. I like it. If you ever want a video of the sound (as helpful as that is), let me know.

7. dudlow

dudlow Karting

Feb 28, 2011
    Surrey UK
    Just get yourself a remote valve controller, just a few £/€/$, it sounds fine and then just drive and enjoy your car. Job done.

Shadowfax and AD211 like this.
  8. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    IMO just pin the valves first. Like that then maybe use a valve controller if you wish. I would certainly be doing that first for a few months driving . As stock it sounds great with pinned valves..

scott61 likes this.
  9. Jonny English

Jun 14, 2017
    Poole, Dorset
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thank you will try the pinned valves first

scott61, mdrums and MANDALAY like this.
  10. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Oh BTW you are going to have battery issue. Keep her on the charger all the time. Also IMO buy a starter. I will go on a limb and say 100% chance you will need it. Prefer to have the charger in the car than a tow.

11. Jonny English

Jun 14, 2017
    Poole, Dorset
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thanks Mandalay .. I will keep the charger in the boot then! I have a jump starter in my garage but not sure I want to do that with a ferrari. Also if there is no charge in the car how do you get into the boot where the charger is? Possibly enough charge to open the door etc.

12. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Speaking of a Jump Starter.....where are you guys keeping a Jump Started secured in the car?

1- They do ny fit in the little cargo nets behind the seat
    2- They do not fit under the seat unless the seat is raised way up
    3- In the front trunk on hard corners I heard mine clunk from side to side.

13. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    If you look on line there are these nifty carry cases available for the noco chargers. Not dear. But its padded. I leave it behind the passenger seat on the ground. Wife is short so the seat is forward.
    BTW best to keep it in the cabin.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Not the boot. Depending which starter you get there a carry cases on line. I leave it on the ground behind the passenger seat. You can get manually in your car with the key inside the remote.

I will predict 100% guarantee that you will need to jump start your car. The starter gets you out of the situation. Learn how to get to the battery also.

15. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Yet another good suggestion MANDALAY that results in my Amazon trigger finger hitting the ‘buy now’ button. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

MANDALAY likes this.
  16. Jonny English

Jun 14, 2017
    Poole, Dorset
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thanks Mandalay .. I understand now and how crazy to have to do this.

Which NOCO charger have you got?

Is the battery in the front?

Its not much good if you are parked away from a mains source!

17. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Agree, first mod I usually do on all my cars is change exhaust so plan was to do that on my 488 right away. So I started searching for what to go with and was finding at least from the videos I was not hearing much difference, at least not in the way I'm use to hearing on my other cars. Then from more searching it seemed many were saying that aftermarket systems did not make a big change so I decided to just pin the valves at least for the short term. Have been very happy with that solution and car sounds great and with valves open at low RPM's now you can get some nice pops and burbles.

MANDALAY likes this.
  18. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I have this one. GB 70. If you do buy the same MAKE sure its fully charged.

This is a starter , its a lithium battery. I believe you are confusing yourself.

The battery is in the passenger fire wall. Look down there and you will see a round kernel. Unscrew it and that plate will fold down exposing the battery

If your car is RHD looking at the battery the left terminal is negative the right positive.

19. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Also with KMs sounds even better. Frankly never worry about petrol and playing with the gears and revving.

20. Jonny English

Jun 14, 2017
    Poole, Dorset
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I will get it ordered and figure out how to use it so its easier when it happens!

Picked the car up today and wow what an amazing car already. Staying overnight to break up the journey back. I think it sounds pretty good without any changes to the echaust but let's see.

21. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

The 2 most important characteristics that a starter MUST HAVE.

Reverse polarity protection
    No spark

If it has both these 2 items your good to go as long as it has the reserves.

22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    A 488 with pinned valves is a really bad idea imo. It has a properly annoying drone at highway speeds when the valves open. At least with valves in normal operating mode you can cruise at 140-150 kph with the valves closed and no drone. When they are pinned it will drone all the time. No biggie during spirited back road drives, but a real pain during road trips.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Speed limit 110 kms no drone noise :) But i get what you mean.