What happened when this owner parked his Ferrari on the street in London | FerrariChat

What happened when this owner parked his Ferrari on the street in London

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Themaven, Oct 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Central London has remarkably little deliberate car crime. Near where I live, there are all kinds of high end luxury and supercars parked on the street on a permanent basis. I have never seen any of them vandalised or broken into. (I guess some of them may have been stolen, but I haven’t heard any stories to that effect .)

What it does have, though, is a lot of people driving cars and vans at highish speeds down narrow roads. As the owner of this 488 obviously found to his cost last week.

It looks like the bumper was pulled off by a vehicle driving past and then dodging in behind the Ferrari to allow another car to go past on this narrow street. I don’t know if the culprit left a note. The 488 was gone, presumably to the bodyshop, the next day.

on another note: it won’t be a cheap repair (I am guessing £10,000 plus?) but in the UK, if it is done well, it’s quite possible that no future owner will ever know that this happened. Whereas in the US, this car will permanently be tainted by its Carfax. I think the UK system is fairer, who really cares if the car had a new bumper.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

350MH83, papou and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  2. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Well. Did you take a picture of the vin ?

Just sayin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    I thought London was blanketed with "security" cameras?

There's vid of the perpetrator out there somewhere...

4. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Ouch! Hope the gentleman left a note on the 488.

Love to go for a walk in Mayfair after lunch and have seen several Ferraris parked on the street, this being the first time I’ve seen one damaged.

I love the fact that, very much unlike southern Europe, you can park your Ferrari on the street and no one cares, no one comes near it nor swarm around it, although I guess trouble can always happen.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

5. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Always park your Ferrari near/in front of an Italian owned/operated food or ice cream business.

They will ENSURE NOTHING Happens to It.

Andynyc, VAF84 and F2003-GA like this.
  6. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    wow. ouch!

7. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    He did leave a note, it read the following:

"People witnessed this and are watching me. They are thinking that I am leaving my name and contact information. I am not."

8. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    white van man strikes again !

9. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Nasty. Hopefully there is CCTV footage somewhere.

10. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I would.

11. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    As long as it was as good as the old bumper, I wouldn't...we are all different!

350MH83 likes this.
  12. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I think you're right. It's hard to tell but it looks like the impact point was just below the light cluster which would be white van height; but also SUV height. Lots of SUVs in Chelsea.

I wonder about the CCTV. Often it's just pointing the wrong way. It's a residential street so less likely I guess.

13. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    No, nor the number plate. If it had caught fire or been split in half, I would have; but I don't care if a car has a new bumper and I don't think it's my job to put a future buyer off a car with cosmetic damage.

Having said that it's parked on a street near my house so I will notice when it's back. Maybe I'll take a picture of the paint job and post it here for critical inspection!