308 QV steering wheel change | FerrariChat

308 QV steering wheel change

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ray F, Oct 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    Has anyone changed their 308 QV small black Momo steering wheel fro an earlier version (with the ali spokes) or the Nardi hubs/other mounting equipment was required?

If so, could you tell me whether different hubs/mounting equipment/horn button mods were needed?

Thanks, Ray.

2. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
  3. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
  4. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    Thanks very much.

5. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    One final comment: The center hole for the Nardi and for the Momo are different diameters, which means that you need a different horn button for each.

Notice the silver border around the Nardi's Prancing Horse, and then you can see that they are different.

6. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    Thanks for that reminder. I am now thinking of having a Momo prototipo - is it the horn push from the standard QV Momo in the pictures, or is it a different one?

7. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Yes, I 'think' that the center hole is a standard size throughout the Momo line, so if your OEM wheel is a Momo, then the OEM horn button ought to fit.

Since you brought it up - In my personal opinion, the Momo Prototipo wheel which I have is THE period proper wheel for any 308, especially with the silver spokes. You may have noted that I've also changed my gauge fascia colour from black to silver, so to match. I receive numerous compliments on the end result from fellow owners at the various Italian car shows which I attend.

8. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    Thanks for the info. And your dash set up looks the business if I may say.

9. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    Any tips on getting the original Momo steering wheel screws out? I’ve tried all my tools and they aren’t budging. Are they star shaped or Allen key shapes? Seems I can get one of each in....

10. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    Got it in now. Interestingly the slightly different positioning of Prototipo centre to original one means that I have had half of top 2 gauges cut off from view. The original had the hub positioned slightly lower than centre which gave full view of gauges when in straight ahead position.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Jbrauer likes this.
  12. outlaw_singer

outlaw_singer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 23, 2015
    What would help is getting an eccentric spacer. Mounts between the wheel and the hub and brings up the wheel about half an inch (roughly, didn't measure).

13. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    Did you have to make one or are they available to buy?

14. outlaw_singer

outlaw_singer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 23, 2015
    Oh no, they are original momo pieces and should be able to found online. I've got plenty of stock as well but shipping to the US might be a dealbreaker here.

15. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I swapped my MOMO to the Nardi from the 80-82 model many years back. Takes 5 minutes.

16. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    As an aside to the steering wheel - I LOVE the Daytona style seats! Did you have those re-covered locally, or obtain the covers from an online vendor? Originality be damned, those look far better than original. :cool:

17. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    You know, that you can adjust the steering column's height?

Best from Germany
    Martin

Milkshaker0007 likes this.
  18. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    I got them redone locally - a combination of my idea and the realisation by the upholstery ‘artists’.

GordonC likes this.
  19. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    I’ve been looking at the thread that says how to adjust height. I’ve been able to adjust it a bit, but it leaves me with more tilt than I’d like. From what I also read, the length of the column can be adjusted so I don’t have to have as much tilt - I’ve not been able to do that, as can’t get the big locking nut to loosen, nor can I get at the upper tilt nut which would allow a small amount of reach adjustment. I can only loosen the lower one, which is what allows the tilt.

20. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    I’m in the UK

21. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    I’ve now seen some of those, and they look like they will achieve some of what I’d like - do you think it’s possible to use an eccentric spacer on top of another spacer? That would give me the flatter angle and shorter reach I’m after.

22. outlaw_singer

outlaw_singer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 23, 2015
    Sorry, seemed to miss these last messages. UK is doable. But still around 17€ shipping i believe.
    Yes, i think it would be possible. You'll need long bolts though...
    I've got the standard momo spacers as well in case you decide to pick up both.

23. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    I bought a luisi hub off of the internet to be able to put my black spoke 350mm Momo Prototipo on but am having fun pulling the nardi hub off. Finding M8-1.25 bolts at Home Depot long enough is a problem this morning.