F8 exhaust options. GPF delete | Page 8 | FerrariChat

F8 exhaust options. GPF delete

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by LMH, May 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #176 Shadowfax, Oct 14, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    I found the F8 sounds ok up until such point you get into other cars. Its mainly in that situation you come to realize just how lame it sounds.

I guess it comes down to what a person considers as being an improvement over stock. The F8 isnt exactly a cheap car so any alteration in sound needs to sound natural without sounding obviously modified. Vids are also not a very reliable way of making a proper determination either as there are many variables such as mic, positioning, and the general surrounds which absorb and/or reflect the sound being made.

Pista is more than loud enough stock when the valves are open so if the cats are changed or removed I personally have doubts whether the experience is going to be as tolerable as one would hope, for any length of time. So I think one would need to be a little careful of what they wished for when changing a system out on a car like this.

Also keep in mind when the valves are open the system is running straight through anyway, so by changing the muffler is unlikely to do much anyway. I'm also sure Ferrari did their best to get the sound they did when they made the muffler which essentially creates the sound when the valves are closed. So what else is left? Cats and GPF - and both these components need to be on the car for the warranty!

With F8 you have the GPF so a valve controller solution is likely to produce the better outcome overall without need of going to the extreme of removing GPF's and Cats which will void the warranty. I'm not sure if i would be prepared to do that on a car of this value.

Also when you listen to these vids they are always depicting the car doing its level best to make as much noise as possible and to sound as tough as possible so I'm not sure if that's the most realistic way of forming a proper impression given no one drives their Ferrari flat out at max rpm everywhere all the time trying to be a hero. And, the low end noise coming from these systems - as per the vids - makes the car sound much like a modified old truck. That one in the vid revving and blipping the throttle sounds bloody terrible as if its trying to shake a stuck fart out. At least stock the car doesn't sound so unnatural and obviously modified, and, not in a good way imho.

Petrolhead#32, ScrappyB and mdrums like this.
  2. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Shadowfax, you have a lot of good points here. I too am not enthralled with the F8 sound. The 488 and Pista to me sound much better. As far as Turbo cars go the 488, Pista and even F8 sound alright with the F8 sounding the worst. I've heard a few F8 in person. They are extremely quiet non-Ferrari sounding.

The key to all this as you mentioned is to keep the exhaust sound natural and to keep the warranty.

I really love the overall looks of the F8 inside and out, however I HATE:
    1- the huge wheel gap but that's fixed with Novitec springs or possibly lowering the car on stock springs no more than 20mm...sans suspension warranty
    2- The twisty look of the gem forged wheels...some HRE's or BBS or Forgelines fix that
    3- the sound of the car....exhaust mod's are out and I am sure more coming sans warranty.

I'd have to change these things in order to really enjoy the F8. Or just spend $100k more and get a Pista and not have to change really anything.

Shadowfax likes this.
  3. Mortarion

Mortarion Karting

Jun 6, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Jase
  4. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    I just ordered the F8 novitec exhaust, techtronic, springs, wheels and tires, I'll put report back once everything gets here and done. Hopefully makes it sound better.

GT2goneF, anishka and Corsaspider like this.
  5. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Which Novitec setup did you go with?

6. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    the stainless steel without flap regulation exhaust with techtronic to avoid check engine light, novitec nf9 wheels, and the sport springs.

Corsaspider, GT2goneF and Hunter911 like this.
  7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yup that makes a lot more sense than trying to recover visual and sound related issues which remove the car from standard and destroy the warranty.

At the end of the day Pista is a given package out of the box whereas F8 requires modification to achieve similar outcomes. Modifying cars is expensive and never pays at the resale end. Ever. It's a case where you spend a lot of money only to wind up having to take less than stock to sell it or pull it all to bits and put it back to stock to get it to sell.

I've been there done that modifying cars - am totally over it. The lesson learned is that if a car doesn't look right or sound right, or isn't fast enough, it's better - and usually cheaper - to just trade it in for one that is.

8. Hunter911

Hunter911 Karting

Mar 8, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm thinking the exact same. Looking forward to how it turns out. What is your timing on this?

9. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    There are could be delays as there was a back order on a few of the items but I'm hoping everything is done in the next week or two.

10. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Sounds good, looking forward to your impressions on the exhaust.

11. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    I'm impressed so far. Its not super loud but way better than stock. I took it to the Ferrari dealership for the alignment and the guys said it sounded way better and that's how it should have came from the factory. I'll post some pics tomorrow cause the springs and wheel look great

12. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #188 Dicecal, Oct 23, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Nice, if you have sound clips of the exhaust that would be great. How is the sound inside the car, no drone or resonance? You kept the OEM cats in place correct?

13. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    Sounds great inside, again not too loud, yes, oem cats in place.

14. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    epah, ntatfas, Shadowfax and 2 others like this.
  15. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Nice, Grigio Titanio?

16. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Looks good any videos of the exhaust?

17. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    Grigio silverstone

18. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    Will try and make some

19. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Thanks congrats it’s an awesome car! Love mine!

carz80am likes this.
  20. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Ooooohhhhh like this so much!!!! Perfect color combination (however, not for me) and that stance!!!!!

21. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Alright, alright... don't rub it in... remember... some of us are still waiting... I am glad you're enjoying it.

22. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    21"/22" Vossen Novitec NF9? Novitec lowering springs? Any spacers?

23. Corsaspider

Corsaspider Rookie

Feb 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Lou Grancharov
    I am excited to hear your car!
    I have Novitec flap regulator exhaust on order(will keep stock cats), techtronic, switchtrinic, sport springs and Brixton Forged wheels for my upcoming F8 Spider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT2goneF likes this.
  24. anishka

anishka Karting

Dec 30, 2013
    U. P., Michigan
    Full Name:
    Larry

GT2goneF likes this.