Deciding on a 2019 Pista Coupe | FerrariChat

Deciding on a 2019 Pista Coupe

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by hairdoc, Oct 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hairdoc

hairdoc Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2015
    canada
    Full Name:
    HR
    I am about to pull the trigger on a 2019 Pista coupe by trading in my 2020 Portofino.
    I have read numerous threads and watched endless reviews on the Pista and F8. Always positive. Which is why i am at this point trying to decide. This would be my 5th ferrari. i had the 430, 458, california T and two months ago i picked up my 2020 Portofino. A car i do like and have used it as an almost daily driver/small outing with family (two young kids).
    But the car and driving greed has set in and i feel i want more out of the car.
    A friend of mine had traded in his 2019 coupe pista with only 300 miles. He already has a 2020 pista spider. My dealer is giving a great trade back value on the portofino (only two months old) and a decent break on the pista (still above msrp).
    The Pista is fully loaded with all possible fiber carbon options, hi fi stereo, lift, telemetery and much much more. in fact It has more options than i would have spec'd.
    Only variable in this is i have never driven the Pista (dealer is two hours away), but i have driven and owned the above cars, and test drove the F8 on couple of occasions (which i thought was amazing for the short stint i had in it). yet its hard for me to compare to yet to drive the Pista.
    My logic is the portofino, if i keep it, will depreciate significantly in next year as the M upgrade has been introduced. The pista MAY keep its value longer or even appreciate (question mark). So by next summer, i may pick up a more depreciated portofino if i feel i need that daily driver, aside from my suv.
    i am looking for feed back, thoughts of encourgement or (discourgement), as i am purely in my emotional decision mode.
    H

2. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    From a cold hard money perspective, it depends on how your investments do. If your cash grows as fast as the Portofino depreciates, then it will make sense to wait. But in general, if you are going to trade the Portofino for a Pista someday, I'd guess doing it now would be the right move. The only way it isn't is if the Pista depreciates significantly, which seems unlikely while we are in easy money la la land.

Personally, I need a sports car in my life. I'd rather have a Miata and a Honda than a Portofino and no sports car.

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    if you are emotional the answer is wait 3 years and decide. if money no object then go for it.why chase it? you will always be able to buy one.

4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    At market price a Pista is likely to depreciate less - however I suspect that more than MSRP for a heavily optioned car is higher than market price, which will probably mitigate some of the Pista financial advantage.
    As a car a Pista is also definitely more special (and enjoyable IMHO) than a Portofino though.

boxerman likes this.
  5. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    What are your usage expectations?

If you value comfort and daily ability then my money would be on and is on F8.

I traded a 991.2 GT3 and while I looked at Pista, it ultimately felt like more of the same.

Drson and GT2goneF like this.
  6. superfluous

superfluous Karting

Oct 4, 2020
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Gabe
    o_O

GT2goneF likes this.
  7. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Go for it. If you loved the drive of the F8, you will love the drive of the Pista. No clue where Pista values are gonna go but Portifino is a guaranteed drop.

LARRYH, Mikael-F360, GT2goneF and 4 others like this.
  8. If money is no object, get the Pista.

But since you are concerned about depreciation (and there's nothing wrong with that), maybe the better course for you is simply hold onto the Portofino and in a year revisit the Pista. This way, you'll lose less on the Portofino depreciation and maybe even get to pick up a Pista at a better (i.e., lower) price than you would if you bought it now.

Of course the downside to doing the above is, well, you might die tomorrow.

Tough choices. #FirstWorldProblems

GT2goneF likes this.
  9. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    It appears the Pista you are considering is well optioned with 300 miles. I would go for it if it speaks to your passion of more visceral driving. Knowing the previous owner makes the decision making process more seamless. If you can, do a pre-drive. Let us know what you decide.

LARRYH, GT2goneF and Caeruleus11 like this.
  10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    #10 Caeruleus11, Oct 13, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    If you enjoyed the F8, you will love the Pista. You give up almost no comfort and you gain a more engaging experience (I think its much more). The one thing you will need to understand with Pista is the tires are very temperature sensitive. Being that you are in Canada, this means you are going to need to fit winter tires or park your car when the outside temps are below 45F (and even in the 45-60F temp range the tires will not be at their best). I cannot stress this enough to you. At lower temps the Cup2 tires can be there one minute, and then gone the next- and I mean GONE, like you are on ice. Will they come back before you are off the road? Don't find out. Also, always keep the Pista on the tender, the replacement LiON battery is supposedly expensive.

The question on residual values is tricky. Most of us, despite our protests, when it comes to cars, are influenced by our emotions, even a little bit. So here are my thoughts, emotion included.

I think you are correct on the Portofino. The nature of these cars means they are not likely to hold their value very well. They are wonderful cars to drive and live with though.

I think Pista likely holds its value level (+/- 10%) in the next few years. On the one hand yes there are quite a few around. And some who are cynical will say the F8 is very similar. But on the other hand, my drive of the F8 left me thinking its nothing like the hard nosed character of the Pista, and the F8 exhaust sound is pretty quiet due to the filters.

I think theres a good chance the Pista will be even more highly regarded as time goes on. It is very likely the last time we will see an ICE only RWD only relatively lightweight special from Ferrari. That might continue to appeal to some people going forward. We hear rumors of the "Little Brother" which likely features a V6 turbo and hybrid. Maybe its RWD but I know a lot of people who dont want any of that "hybrid nonsense"- I am not one of them, I am excited about what it can bring to the party. But its clear cars will be getting more complex, more powerful and heavier. (SF90) The Pista is still crazy fast and holds to the more traditional mid engine, relatively lightweight, RWD formula. (When you have it broken in and are comfortable and on warm tires, try pegging the throttle in 3rd gear and please be pointed straight!). I don't think you could do much more on a production car thats RWD only- or if you would want it- the Pista is a real monster, but it is also a lot of fun. However its not like the 458 where you can always play with the power. You have to really respect the power with Pista. I love driving mine, it is so much fun! I hope it works out for you.

11. hairdoc

hairdoc Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2015
    canada
    Full Name:
    HR
    Thank you everyone on the feedback and comments.
    @caeruleus , thank you for the information on the cold temp and tires. Unfortunately, the Canadian weather does not respect our wishes all the time, and thus, the car will sit in heated garage more than i would like.
    I have already concluded that the future price point is an educated guess at most and i am ok with it.

LARRYH and Caeruleus11 like this.
  12. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    One is a coupe, the other a convertible...was the convertible a factor in deciding on the Porto? If yes, then spec your own F8 Spider...it won’t disappoint!

13. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Only problem would be the wait tIme...10 months to one year for a F8 Spyder when the dealer is willing to work with him on his friend’s Pista.

GT2goneF and Caeruleus11 like this.
  14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Pista, definitely.

15. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    Definitely go with the Pista.

16. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Agree. Too much can happen in the space of 12 months waiting around for an F8 spider to be delivered. Id buy the Pista coupe now as its by far the more engaging to drive with virtually zero compromise to road comfort.

12 months on from now there will be plenty of other lighty used Ferrari options available at depreciated prices....porto, f8, spider etc etc.
    If you can get clear of the Porto now with little loss and get into a Pista would be a very wise move imho.

17. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    In my test drive of the F8 I found it quite luxurious and beautiful. But not hair raising. If you’re looking to get out of your car and feel like your just had an experience, Pista. I can see the F8 being a great daily. The interior is well insulated (no sound of peddles hitting underside), gearbox is smooth at any speed or mode, power is great but not overwhelming. I don’t have the desire to daily a Ferrari though.

18. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Agree. It becomes a very easy decision once you drive these two and both are equally good as daily drivers if need be.
    This is where I continue to struggle with the F8. It was Ferrari’s way of appeasing those who missed out on Pista but they made so many Pistas it didnt take long at all before Pistas were available anyway.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  19. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    @hairdoc you can always get a backup set of wheels and fit winter tires and run those- you dont need them to drive in the snow, these tires are made to grip in the low winter temps. Yes, it adds to your costs, but it also gives you more flexibility.

LARRYH, GT2goneF and Shadowfax like this.
  20. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    what surprised me most with the F8 was when I floored it I didn’t feel the gut punch I was expecting. Certainly quick, but not 720S quick to me, more 570S+. It felt totally in control. Second biggest surprise was the turbo whistle.

I also realized how much having the big carbon paddles enhances the overall experience. The test car had the normal sized carbon paddles and they just aren’t the same.

Caeruleus11 and GT2goneF like this.
  21. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #21 Shadowfax, Oct 13, 2020
    Agree F8 is very tame to drive, even flat out. There is no real punch in the guts as you say. It just piles on speed. If one hasn't driven Pista or the other similar alternatives which offer genuine solid engagement then you could quite easily step into an F8 or even Porto and think wow. But again I think the wow mainly comes from the speed and sitting in a sexy looking car and not much else. Reading owners waxing lyrical over how exciting it is to drive leads me to believe that whatever they have owned or driven previously can't possibly have been anything all that special.

Given OP has a near new Porto now, and has made it clear he is lusting for more driver engagement (than what his Porto can provide) then I could no way recommend him changing into an F8 as I don't think he will gain anything from the exercise other than perhaps pick up some extra speed he wont be able to use much of anyway.

Re your above experience I was left similarly underwhelmed. I honestly felt the outgoing GTB was more engaging but I think that was mainly due to being less resolved in certain areas where it really should have been. So the sensations were artificial in the sense the car wasn't working with you - as it should be - which made you have to do certain corrections which you wouldn't normally expect to do in a car of this age and caliber.

The F8 was improved/resolved, but perhaps too much. So the whole experience felt muted everywhere. Very luxury feel as you describe. It was very fast on the circuit but there was little else to the experience other than a benign feeling of speed down the straights. I also agree with you on the ridiculous stock paddles. Jeez what a fail they are. Maybe Ferrari has figured F8 drivers wont see the steering wheel to move from the 9 and 3 too often or something?

FordGTDriver and Caeruleus11 like this.
  22. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Not to hijack the threat but if I had to choose between an F8 or a 992 TTS, I’d go TTS. Better tech, $120k cheaper and while the top end isn’t as high the acceleration whack is great especially the launch, which is frankly insane. I drove the cars 2 days apart. Ferrari is far better looking inside and out but 911 is the better car.

tekaefixe and GT2goneF like this.
  23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #23 Shadowfax, Oct 13, 2020
    Oh absolutely. The new 992tts does everything better than the F8 at everything I found. I was given a new demo for 2 days a week or so back and I can honestly say it would make mincemeat out of an F8 in a point A to point B shoot out involving country straights and bends, and, in general city A to B driving feels invincible. The 911 is by far the better car out of these two without any question in my mind. 992tts is very tame but even so is the more engaging and better connected with the driver than the F8, not discounting the F8 as being bad in any way as it is a great car. Two different cars offering a similarly tame yet still sporty driving experience. But yes I know where I'd be putting my money if I had to choose between the pair. Another thing is the F8 for a daily is very mileage sensitive vs the 911 where secondhand buyers gladly pay good money for used examples with 30, 40 and 50,000Kms on the odos. With an F8 once it gets over 10,000kms on the odo the buyers lose interest unless it's dirt cheap.

tekaefixe and GT2goneF like this.
  24. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    No doubt in my mind below 100 mph TTS will stomp a Pista as well. It’s nuts.

GT2goneF likes this.
  25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    For sure. But when it comes to driver engagement and looks the Pista kills the tts. And while the tts looks good it doesn't garner anywhere near the same attention or is seen as having the same exclusivity as the Pista and F8. Just park all these 3 cars together on a street and the looks and feedback from the general public confirm this. And just because the tts is fast doesn't make it the more engaging as is the case with F8 vs's a Pista where the Pista comes out a long way in front. The tts is as boring as hell compared to the gt2 - bit like the F8 vs Pista argument.