Sultan of Brunei's Car Collection | Page 68 | FerrariChat

Sultan of Brunei's Car Collection

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by masterflex164, Dec 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ames

Ames Rookie

Jun 10, 2010
    Portland, Maine
    Ordered. Thanks!

2. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Same cars currently in DK's hands? They seem to be together often there as it's not the first time I've seen them tease both cars in the past few weeks.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CGKevDHBEEz/

marko.urbac likes this.
  3. Dragster666

Dragster666 Rookie

May 12, 2020
    Managed to find these photos of the Dauer 962 chassis 175 not sure if this picture was taken in Brunei or in Germany
    Anyway here's some history behind it.
    Over the winter of 1990-1991 Jochen Dauer ordered three brand new Fabcar 962 tubs: chassis 172, 175 and 176. Two of these (172 and 175) appeared at the 1991 Daytona 24 Hours which was the only occasion either car raced.

Dauer arranged for them to be driven at Daytona by two famous racing families: chassis 172 was allocated to the Andrettis (Mario, Michael and Jeff) while chassis 175 was earmarked for the Unsers (Al, Al Jr., Bobby and Robby).

Both Dauer 962s featured special bodywork produced by the Arrows F1 team.

Chassis 175 attended Daytona in a plain white livery with minor backing from BF Goodrich. Computer giant Olivetti had been lined up as title sponsor but the Italian firm pulled out at the last minute which meant the Unser 962 was largely unsponsored.

Dauer’s brand new cars were only just finished in time to race. Customs delays followed by teething and scrutineering problems created a good deal of stress within the team.

In qualifying Al Unser Jr. hit the wall exiting the chicane but damage was slight and the car started ninth.

Unser Jr. moved up to seventh on the opening lap of the race and after the first round of pit stops (when Bobby Unser took over) chassis 175 had moved into fourth.

Around the 100-lap mark much time was lost in the pits while the Dauer crew attended to a broken spark plug connector.

Soon after 1am chassis 175’s race came to an end when lying ninth. Robby Unser had been running with just one headlight and when the other abruptly failed he lost control and crashed into the top of the tyre wall at the left-hander leading onto the banking.

Following its appearance at Daytona chassis 175 was repaired at Dauer’s Nuremberg workshop in Germany.

It was subsequently converted into a road-going 962 LM for the Sultan of Brunei who also purchased another four examples all of which were finished in different colour schemes.

Chassis 175 was painted red with a black and red interior. Prior to departing for Brunei it was road registered LM 962175.

Once in Brunei the car was registered BP 962
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. marko.urbac

marko.urbac Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
    You can read Enrico Fumia's AUTOritratto but I am afraid it's available only in Italian. Among others, Enrico Fumia was the chief designer of the Ferrari F90. I promised myself to buy his book but, to this day, I still haven't... Follow the Amazon link below:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/8888269444/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_wJuHFbF62AC8Z

5. Ames

Ames Rookie

Jun 10, 2010
    Portland, Maine
    I don't know a single word of Italian, but thanks for the answer :)

marko.urbac likes this.
  6. SmokyDave

SmokyDave Karting

Jul 13, 2015
    England
    Probably not helpful in this particular instance, but Google offer a translation app on smartphones that uses the camera and translates text on the fly. I've found it very handy (if a little rough) for some books. Believe it has the catchy title of 'Google Translate' and is available free on iOS and Android.

marko.urbac and arizonaitalian like this.
  7. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    The silver coupe is #7.

marko.urbac likes this.
  8. Dragster666

Dragster666 Rookie

May 12, 2020
    Some footage of MC F1 005 which belonged to the Sultan.

marko.urbac likes this.
  9. Lm_spot

Lm_spot Rookie

Jul 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Loris
  10. Smejwajej02

Smejwajej02 Rookie

Dec 10, 2019
    This was something ferr9000 and I had found a few weeks ago. It was technically a public image as it was found on FB which is why it has now been reposted on IG and on here. I have collected many images of the collection some of which are extremely recent. However, I will not be sharing any publicly as I wish to respect my source's wishes related to the pictures and their privacy. However, if anyone on this forum has any further info that could be of value feel free to send me a private message. In the meantime, I will leave everyone with this image which I can share freely. This particular Venice has plate: BR8000 and VIN: ZFFWP44C000107636
    Like I said, I really would love to share all that I have. However, I can not violate the trust I have made with my sources on this topic.
    Feel free to reach out to me if you have new information pertaining to the collection. Also, I would prefer people not to flood me with private messages asking for the pictures and then sending me the first 10 images that appear on a google search for "Sultan of Brunei car collection".

11. marko.urbac

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
    Can you at least give us some more background information about how you managed to have the photos? What is the story behind? Thanks!

12. Smejwajej02

Smejwajej02 Rookie

Dec 10, 2019
    Sure.

The short answer would be that my sources and I exchanged the private photos and non public info we had.

The long answer is that when I last posted on here, I was messaged by two people. One of whom is ferr9000 and the other shall remain nameless. Ferr9000 was instrumental in helping me gather pictures and info of the ferrari 456 venices, and a variety of the other cars from the collection whose pictures were taken around the same time that most of the public pictures are taken. He and I have also done great research together finding new sources of info and also finding information about some of the cars. Where they are stored within the garage complex, and also finding info on the condition of the cars. The second source has also been amazing in helping find photos. Without divulging to much about this, I will just say that they are quite familiar with the cars. They have been able to gather photos and information on the cars that are extremely recent. This person also has helped find out which cars remain in the collection and which cars are sold. As a result, there are many cars, that have been discovered which do not exist on the public list of registrations and VIN numbers. (Eventually I want to create an excel spreadsheet with all the cars I have gathered pictures and info on). Keep in mind that I had to exchange some private pictures I had from the collection with these sources (notably, the unnamed source). I wouldn't expect them to just freely give me this info.

GT1Forever likes this.
  13. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    How many if any cars have been sold this year? What is the best way to purchase one?

marko.urbac likes this.
  14. Smejwajej02

Smejwajej02 Rookie

Dec 10, 2019
    5 or 6 cars off the top of my head at the least have been sold this year. I might be forgetting some. You would have to reach out to my source on this for interest in purchasing a car. These are obviously all off market so you aren’t going to find anything on auto trader for example.

marko.urbac and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  15. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Which cars have sold?

16. mechaniker

mechaniker Formula Junior
    Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
    The German Plates LM 962175 is NOT a valid registration! They are FAKE Plates. They have the wrong scheme of Letters and Numbers. Also, no Plaques from state/city region and HU (Hauptuntersuchung, known as TÜV).

17. Smejwajej02

Smejwajej02 Rookie

Dec 10, 2019
    I can PM you the list

marko.urbac likes this.
  18. BruNei_carFRe@K

BruNei_carFRe@K Karting

Dec 7, 2006
    Germany
    Looks like the 540i customized by Car Design Schacht (CDS) found a new owner in Brunei.

©wheel.geeks

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. BruNei_carFRe@K

BruNei_carFRe@K Karting

Dec 7, 2006
    Germany
    Tinted windows all around and the license plate strongly indicate that this W140 (probably S70/S73AMG) is part of the royal family's colleciton.

GT1Forever, Boomhauer and marcospace like this.
  20. track

track Rookie

Apr 28, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Florian
  21. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
  22. marko.urbac

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
    Oh c'mon... you cannot tell this and not share anything! It's just like eating an ice cream in front of a child and not giving it to him! :D Can you post at least one 'never-seen-before' photo? Also, can you please send me as well a DM with the cars sold this year? Many thanks in advance! ;)

23. BruNei_carFRe@K

BruNei_carFRe@K Karting

Dec 7, 2006
    Germany
    GT1Forever, Boomhauer and marcospace like this.
  24. dinoSP

dinoSP Rookie

Jul 19, 2011
    Totally agree!
    "I've got something you guys can't imagine how awesome it is, i know I'm on the thread showing pictures of cars everybody wants to see but you won't see mine, i keep my secrets for myself nah nah nah" It's a non-sense! If you want to protect some people we can easily understand it but you better tell us nothing !

marko.urbac likes this.
  25. BruNei_carFRe@K

BruNei_carFRe@K Karting

Dec 7, 2006
    Germany
    According to color, model and first digits/letters on the license plate, the car on the right has to be a Ferrari 550 Barchetta with hardtop and automatic gearbox.

Picture by ©anytimespy