Time for a major service | FerrariChat

Time for a major service

Discussion in '348/355' started by emac, Oct 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    My 96 spider 6spd, 39K miles, is due for a major. This is the first major since I have owned it. I am not certain the last major was anything more than a belt swap and a clutch rebuild, so I plan on checking everything out. It has Tubi headers and I have replaced things like plugs, wires, engine mounts, electrical connectors and a lot of other little bits.

Car runs great. No smoke or anything unusual. A/C seems to have lost its cool, so i am going to go through that and replace the compressor, dryer etc. It has an oil leak on the front of the motor, that I am unable to find, so I am sure most seals will need replacing. I am going to do water pump, tensioners and other things that are always mentioned.

I plan on removing the engine myself, doing what i feel comfortable with and maybe bring it to a shop to do belts and timing. I am planning on getting them to do a leakdown just for documentation and make sure guides are ok as I dont have any history of them being replaced.

My big question is should I do any testing prior to removing the engine? I have read enough major threads, that I am comfortable with removing the engine and then I will have to see where my comfort level goes from there. My main reasons for considering taking the engine to a shop are to make sure I dont screw something up, but also I would like to have time with the rest of the car to go through other stuff, and have the guides checked. I also think I will save a good bit on labor.

Does this sound like a good plan? Thanks.

ernest

2. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    !!!!

Good on you ernest. Knowing what you have on your plate professionally, I salute you. Wish I was closer to assist/observe. I’m sure you will do a superb job on this and enjoy it.

envious. Enjoy

3. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Wish you were closer too! Thanks for the props. Every winter or two I take on a car project. I have built a factory five Cobra, restored an Fj40 and an Fj62 plus a few Bmw's here and there. Some I keep and some I sell. The advantages of sucking at golf.

I hope things have somewhat gotten back to normal for you. Down here, things are different but going ok. All the best, stay safe.

4. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    My advice would be to get a quote for the items you would prefer an experienced technician to perform before commitment and then work a game plan around that.

I performed my own major and had the cam
    timing, heads removed, rebuilt and reinstalled by a very experienced and trusted tech. I honestly did not save any where near what I thought I would had I just given him the car to do the lot - based on what others in my group have been charged for drop off and pick up. The risk is still there for the tech and they will charge accordingly for their experience, the engine re/re is actually quite easy to do if you have a decent setup.

The main benefit I had doing the work myself was that I can take the time to do the little details a shop doesn’t have time to do and at my own pace. I went above and beyond as you could only do on your own car or if the person had an open check book. There is a lot of satisfaction in doing the work yourself just be prepared for some hiccups and head scratching along the way. This forum is very helpful as a resource too as are its members.

5. fboutlaw

fboutlaw Karting

Dec 3, 2014
    Woodside, CA
    Before any real disassembly.

Pull codes
    Do a compression test
    Do a leak down test
    Inspect and document all leaks

Then you know what you’re dealing with and what needs to be replaced/repaired vs what you can leave alone.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

krazykarguy and MAD828 like this.
  6. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Good advice, I think that is the proper route.

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    If you remove the engine yourself, how are you going to "bring it to a shop" for timing?

fboutlaw likes this.
  8. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Put it in a trailer strapped to a pallet.

9. fboutlaw

fboutlaw Karting

Dec 3, 2014
    Woodside, CA
    Obviously you get a yelcab to show up in your garage to help you :)

At least you know what you need professional help / special tools to perform! That's a start rather than jumping in a bit blind like I did.

10. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Having a yelcab come over to my shop would be perfect! I just dont know anyone close to me. My neighbors aren't even close.

Part of my experience of owning cars is working on them myself and learning. It doesn't always turn out cost effective, but I do learn something and for me that is living. I have been in over my head more than once but like an addict I keep doing it.

tatry68 likes this.