Questions about Mondial from 308 Owner. | FerrariChat

Questions about Mondial from 308 Owner.

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 76Steel, Sep 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi everyone,

I am a 1976 308GTB owner for the past 12 years and I am interested in a mid 80's Mondial QV. I am wondering if anyone could give me some tips if, for any reason, a mid 80's Mondial would bring different things to look out for?

My 308 is carburated and I have done 2 majors by now at an independent, plus a full suspention rebuild. I am decently familiar with the workings of the car.

Do Mondials have any special ceveats ... electrical, etc to look when potentially coming in from 308 world. Are they that much different?

I have always thought that a Mondial looked very "Italian" to me and I always appreciated the model.

Thank you,
    Mike
    NJ.

paulchua likes this.
  2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Coming from a 308, you'll find many similar parts. This said, the Mondial historically has been an 'unloved' model - and it shows in the condition of many of them. You would expect the same problems of any 80's era Ferrari are alive and well with the Mondial.

In my opinion, electrical issues are the number one sore spot - from what I saw, caused by lack of use and not following maintenance. Every car will be different, but as far as the drivetrain itself - bulletproof, well as sound as the 308(FI)/328 - which Ferrarista seems to always laud as the more 'reliable' Ferrari.
    Some things I would check out is all electrical functions (lights, windows, switches, fuel door, hood/trunk)

All hoses and pipes, and the fusebox, fuel pumps (all will disintegrate in time)

These are 30-40 years old now, so things like shocks, bushings, and gaskets will go south. These things happen in a 1980 Toyota Corolla, especially one that has been just sitting for years. Of course, the problem is that Toyota made 40 million Corollas; there are only about 1,200 Mondials in America. Assuming 10% wrecked or parted out.

That ratio wrecks havoc on one's wallet as the economies of scale are inverted. Find one well-loved and taken care of. Assuming the first year of ownership is sorting out the previous owner's gremlins never got too - or never permanently fixed. Expect to pay $10-20K in restoration.

Have these 2 things as assumptions, and you won't be disappointed.

I own a "t" model, put nearly 30K miles on her - and It's still my favorite car of all time.

davemqv likes this.
  3. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    I say get a "t". You already have the 308/328 drive-train. Might as well get the 348 engine/tranny along with power steering. Considering the additional weight of the Mondial chassis you'll want the 300hp.

paulchua likes this.
  4. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    Hey Mike, I switched from my 308 to a Mondial 3.2 about 5 years ago. It's a totally different animal. I had a carbed non cat car like you. And as much as I loved it, I always found it tough to drive long distances. But the Mondial is easier to drive, handles better and much more comfortable. I have no regrets in the switch. It's a great car and unless you get a T, maintenance is pretty much DIY if you want. Good luck in your search if you go that way. It will be worth the effort to take your time to find the right car.

Alden and paulchua like this.
  5. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
  6. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hey Dennis. Totally, I remember you from Chatham C & C. You had the black 308. I have that Marrone 308. Thanks for the input!

paulchua likes this.
  7. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Paul, Thank you. I was following your thread about getting 456 recently. I hope you love the car. You bring up points that make a lot of sence to me. Somehow I just know that soon enough Mondials will be in the 50s/60s and then it'll be harder to obtain one. I'm thankful that I bought my 308 when I did.

paulchua likes this.
  8. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    davemqv likes this.
  9. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I always wanted a 308 and when the time came to buy one I found a 308 gtb but couldn't fit comfortably in one. Tried to find a gtsi but didn't end up finding anything I was happy with and I had driven a Mondial coupe and loved it but really wanted a 308. Long story short I ended up buying the Mondial and really enjoyed it. I sold it after a year as I wanted to get back to my goal of getting a 308 but then prices of 308's went up past what I wanted to spend so you may be spot on in that Mondial prices may follow those of the 3x8 series cars. If you haven't done so yet get out and drive different versions of the Mondial get a feel for what suits you. I always say I never knew I wanted a Mondial till I drove one!

10. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    QV's started to have galvanized metal. Though it seems better by the time 3.2 came along. Sunroof has issues. Though cheaper to fix than a cab top.
    Fuel injection is nice. My GT/4 was smokey.
    Much more headroom and back seat is nice if you want to do a small trip. Longer wheelbase gives a smooth ride.
    As always buy the best you can. Usually cheaper in the end.

11. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have a 1983 Mondial QV coupe, black over red. I absolutely love it, and the QV is my favourite iteration of the Mondial coupe. I think the shape of the nose and rear with the black bumpers looks a little meaner, and so the whole car looks slightly more aggressive than the later integrated bumper versions, but of course that is solely my opinion/preference.

Paul laid it out for you pretty well. Unless it's already been done, the fuse box will need an upgrade. I originally bought an SRI box and it melted on me. I then upgraded to a box from our very own Guido and it is perfection. If you need a new box I highly recommend getting one from Guido.

Otherwise it's mostly dealing with/fixing other peoples past abuse or neglect. If it has just been sitting, check the fuel filter and drain the gas tanks to make sure they're not rusted. Shocks, brakes, etc have a tendency to seize if they sit. Unless you can 100% verify that it's just been done, just "pay the two dollars", or rather the $5000 and have a major service done. Like any old car, stuff wears out. Unlike any old car, replacement parts can be expensive. But always ask here before you cough up big bucks. Oftentimes people here have learned the hard way that there is a cheaper and more effective solution to whatever problem you may be dealing with.

I absolutely LOVE my car. Even if I woke up tomorrow morning and found out a long lost relative had left me a Lusso, a 275 GTB/4, and a 458, I'd still keep the Mondial.

Good luck with your hunt!

Here's a pic of my baby on the mean streets of Brookyn last week....

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Alden, Big Swole, rob and 2 others like this.
  12. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    I agree completly with all those comments. Have my QV since 2002 and until now I haven't have great problems. Some eletric issues due a bad coil. Did find it only after changed almost everything electric. Whas the reason I did make my own fuseboard and now many of you did choose that same model new board. I'm glad I could help many of you to keep their beloved cars running. Your car looks stunning Dave. And I love you use it in town. Thanks for your comments !
    Guido

13. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David
    Funny that I wanted a Mondial T Coupe really bad when I started looking due to my size and ended up with a 308 GTS QV. lol

I still love the Mondial Coupe look and would love to have one someday.