Harris and the SF90 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Harris and the SF90

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by Gh21631, Oct 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    Your comment about getting nervous on normal roads is my biggest fear.

They said the following about the AF car but I want to drive them both but that’s not exactly an option.

Multimatic aluminium suspensions.
    Taken straight from GT racing, they have titanium suspension springs and a fixed (non-adjustable) calibration that makes it possible to make the most of the car on the track, while still guaranteeing optimal driving comfort in less extreme situations, such as on city streets or on uneven road surfaces. In addition, they provide a weight reduction of 8 kg.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I am sure Ferrari will not provide a suspension that is brutally hard riding.

I also couldn’t see past the arrow look so I skipped that. I think the car looks really great in AF spec and we can see the performance improvement.

Cars like the 720 and Pista are just almost touching the hypercar class in terms of performance- well, here is a car that is at the hypercar level, and in some cases, it is even a touch beyond.....

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

stavura, F140C and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  3. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Just been on a road trip to Italy. A car with rock-hard suspension is basically untenable there so I reckon the AF car will be fine. I also went with the stripe. I almost changed my spec to go without it based on price not appearance. But my wife persuaded me out of it - what a wife!! She loved the look with it and felt it loses some of its personality without, a bit like the black roof. Never had a black roof car before, but I agree with her, the whole thing, AF pack, black roof and stripe, all work well together and give the car a very different feel to the standard car. Each to their own though.

stavura and Caeruleus11 like this.
  4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    To me that does not describe a situation where the car is not too firm for good street grip, but rather just that you can still drive it on normal roads. A GT3RS is okay forvthe road as well, but it performs best on track. That is what I read into that, not that the suspension is tuned for fast road driving. The 8 kg saved is of zero interest. It is sprung mass mounted low and over the axle lines. No way anyone but a handful ofnpro racers will feel those 8 kg. Might as well go on a diet, leave the watch in the drawer and Bob's your uncle:)

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You have to remember that they did not tune the AF car for Italian backroads, they tuned it for the GP track. I had that very thought and asked based on the assumption you describe. Was told that for the local roads there, the AF would be VERY rough and was advised against it for that kind of driving.

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think one of the performance benefits of an AF car, is that it is more likely go come from the factory with a more neutral and favorable alignment. That can of course be rectified in the non-AF car, and as per usual practise, my alignment hero Robin, will get the car in hot off the dealer lot.
    I really wish we could see an AF and non-AF car run against one another, both with good alignment and the same shoes. But I don't think that is a test we should expect to see anytime soon lol:)

If you will allow me to be a bit cynical for a moment. To trust Ferrari not to do something in that way, is a bit hard for me. On one hand, Ferrari has been the undisputed king when it comes to making suspension setups that work brilliant on road, but also run fast track times. Kn the other hand, they don't mind to do things that compromises how the car actually drives for the sake of adding an artificial element of excitement. Is giving a car a really hard track oriented suspension for the sake of excitement, different than giving another Ferrari a steering which is too twitchy, a brake that is too grabby, or a gear that shifts too hard any different? Not really. Do I know for a fact what the result of the AF pack will be? Of course not, but when they tell me that firmness of a non-AF car is firmer than a Pista, that to me is a hint that the AF setup is going to be pretty hardcore.

This is just my take on it, and as I had no way of knowing when speccing, I opted out as streetability and road performance was the priority for me.

I'm sure you will be very happy with your car and I can't wait to hear how you like it.

Lucky and C11, when are you guys expecting delivery? I should have mine in December which means middle of winter lol.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  7. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Don’t have a firm date yet but I think it’s early next year.

8. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    I imagine you guys will have yours before I go r10 so maybe for now I go worth the af package and check with you towards the end/beginning of the new year and your thoughts having driven both cars.

Il Co-Pilota and Caeruleus11 like this.
  9. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    My car will be late next year most likely. I also went with the black roof. I agree with your wife to go with some extra special touches.

I understand the skepticism but I would be really surprised if the car has such a hard ride. Even the Pista in its hardest mode isn’t really that hard. The worst I would say is its slightly busy, but I am hardly flying off the choppy roads around here. I just don’t think Ferrari will deliver that kind of ride.

I absolutely agree, any new Ferrari should get an alignment - for two reasons- first it could slip out in delivery (especially to the US) and secondly because your shop can set it up to your taste. I prefer my car with a touch more edge.

Which brings up an interesting point- it is possible they will tune the AF car to have a slightly more aggressive/ different? Split of torque/ torque vectoring?

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  10. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    The same Leno who doesn't own a single Ferrari ?

11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Different drivers, different track conditions and most importantly, different tyres. I am willing to venture that on Cup 2 Rs the LaFerrari would be very close to that time, if not beat it. I also expect on a quicker track, like Monza, the LF to be the quicker car, on equal tyres. That said, the Stradale is mightily impressive, for a normal production Ferrari!!! Nothing beats it for the same amount of money.

12. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1

jo_ker likes this.
  13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Well thank you, for the link, sir. I don't know how this is relevant to what I said though.

14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It's not that simple. The Corsa tyres for the LaF is almost as soft as Cup 2 R tyres. Yes there's an age difference, but not 3 seconds on a fairly short power track like Dunsfold. If you think the LaF is faster than the SF90 on that track, quite sure you're very wrong. Even Ferraris own times back this up.

You may prefer the LaF which is fine, but that does not change the fact that currently everything points in the direction that the SF90 is the fastest car.

Here's something else to consider. When TG test cars, it is no secret that the cars are sometimes driven by the manufactures own drivers as the Stig. Different conditions? Sure, but both the LaF and SF90 was tested during the summer and there's a very good chance that both cars were driven by a Ferrari test driver, if not the same. Also, by the time the LaF was tested, I don't believe that TG has changed Stig. Both tests are past Ben Collins, so consider that as well.

Long live the new king, the SF90.

stavura, cesman, F142George and 3 others like this.
  15. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    Didn’t mean to quote. Just linked if you guys had not seen the full episode

16. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    @Rrr1 Thank you for the link.

Rrr1 likes this.
  17. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Because he s just an enthusiast and not a car s consumer ;).

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    So those of us who like progress and development in the automotive industry are just consumers and not enthusiasts? I would think a real car enthusiast embraced what the car world has to offer with an open mind, rather than just reminisce about what used to be. Imagine sportscars if people in 1950 had just been reminice about blower Bentleys and Type 37's, rather than develop those new fangled syncro trannies, disc brakes and independent suspensions that only ruin the real driving experience for real enthusiasts. Boring...

I'd say a car enthusiast like the classic and old, but also embrace the new.

stavura, Lukeylikey, Rrr1 and 3 others like this.
  19. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Yes, thats why most of us love Harris. He comes at it from the point of view of the enthusiast driver- just like us. But, I am not so sure we can say he is "just an enthusiast". That is more the world of Shmee. Harris is a seasoned professional reviewer. To his credit, when he's in a mood, he does tell us, but I think he should be above it.

day355, Tackleberry and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  20. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    this isn't a gt car, has almost no luggage space etc - the AF package makes sense imo

the 765 has zero chance of getting anywhere near that laptime. even if it had 900hp I think i'd struggle.

Il Co-Pilota and Igor Ound like this.
  21. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    At the end of his review Chris says that Ferrari then gave him another car to try and it fixed all the issues but you couldn't buy it, what was he referring to?

22. perrinnation

perrinnation Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    I thought he was referring to the AF variant.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    Well he said you couldn’t buy it so I assume it isn’t the AF? Maybe they let him have a go in something else?

perrinnation likes this.
  24. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I took it to mean they had a different SF90 on hand with a different calibration (software) perhaps as it relates to the front end and likely too aggressive for mere mortals?

cesman, perrinnation and 9nb like this.
  25. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

He seems to allude to that yes..the car he drove was tuned to be more understeer prone and they wanted him to drive another one that apparently would behave more like a Ferrari should.

Caeruleus11 and 9nb like this.