What is high mileage | FerrariChat

What is high mileage

Discussion in '308/328' started by Austin Newman, Oct 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Austin Newman

Austin Newman Karting

Dec 18, 2019
    Memphis
    Full Name:
    Austin Newman
    What do we feel the threshold is from
    Low to high milage. Currently have an 85 QV with 40k. Currious at what point the car takes a dive on value from driving it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Im in the 125's right now.

So I am free to thoroughly enjoy my 308 on a level that nearly everyone else isn't.

nicholasn and Milkshaker0007 like this.
  3. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Mileage is a material indicator of remaining vehicle utility. For 40 year old antiques, remaining utility is no longer a meaningful consideration. Antiques are no longer simple consumer products like are every-day commuter cars.

Mileage becomes only one factor in assessing condition of an antique. Cars who have lead rough lives can be badly worn in less than 10 years since manufacture. Forty year old antique cars that have been fanatically cared for can be better than they were brand new.

At this point with our 3x8s, it seems that suspension, hoses and gaskets need to have already been addressed at least once already. Many cars interiors have already needed restoration. Engines often need major work sometime after the 100,000 mile mark.

There is a collector category for "zero miles" cars. For that group mileage is a paramount measure. There aren't many "zero" mile 308s but more 328s. There is no real other mileage threshold beyond zero.

Alex308qv, Nuvolari and TurtleFarmer like this.
  4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have seen 3 year old 308's look worse than a 30 year old one.

I have pics.

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    High mileage must be north of the 120,000 range, because I'm certain mine isn't high ;)

nicholasn and miketuason like this.
  6. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    The newest 328 is 31 years old. At 100 miles per month, that's 37,000 miles. Beware low mileage cars, because the odometer is really easy to disconnect.

7. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    When I bought my 308 back in 2001, the posts were saying an average use of 3K/yr

8. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    At 50k miles, you’re barely getting over your break-in period. :)

9. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    These things have had 30,000 miles on them since the 80's. ALL used 308's are 30,000 mile cars.

Look at the ads in an old Autoweek or R&T.

40 years later, they still have those 30,000 miles.

Wonder why that is....... Hmmmmmm.

nicholasn, 48969, Jbrauer and 4 others like this.
  10. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I have 100,000 miles on my 89. so maybe Im half way to a rebuild, for now, It runs better than it did with 40 k miles. The 3x8 motors flow a lot of oil, they designed this car from their 1970 s F1 effort. When this car corners, the engine gets all the oil it needs, same as when the car is going in a straight line,,,10 quarts of oil is a lot !!! Ferraris engine design of the 3x8s was genius, its that simple. My car does not have any of the problems that the high tech Ferraris of today have. Now that I can buy 101 octane from the pump at the VP down the street, the F1 will always get fed the best fuel !!! I run Valvoline 20/50 mineral racing oil with ZINC , this oil might just be a factor in the way my engine keeps up its performance. With the 101, I have been able in the past to get 120 MPH out of 4th gear, (7900 RPMs)so I guess thats my test to see that my motor is still strong.

Thank you.

Jbrauer and miketuason like this.
  11. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    Well done Doc I am at 78K and love driving it,these cars are not an investment the are for driving and enjoyment,

Dr Tommy Cosgrove and miketuason like this.
  12. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    IMO You may not need an engine rebuild at 100,000 miles but you will probably have really worn out valve stems. Does that mean you need an engine over haul? No, but you may need to have your heads rebuilt and a valve job long before you need pistons, rings or lower main bearings etc.

thorn and miketuason like this.
  13. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    Mine has 108k so I'm fairly sure that's the actual figure :) I agree with these cars... if a car really only has 30k miles on it then either the car has been meticulously maintained and driven very very rarely. OR that car will probably need every hose and rubber part replaced since it's bad for them to sit and not be driven.

Mine is going in at the end of the year to get the valves done and probably whatever else needs to be done on the engine while it's apart. I had hoped to do this myself, but I don't know enough about the engine to do it reliably.

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    My 125Kish mileage 308 needs LESS mechanical work today than any 2500 mile 328 on this planet.

Change my mind.

15. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Have you run a leakdown test on each cylinder?

16. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Did two years ago. Everything is fine.

17. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Good to hear it is fine but what were the numbers? Everything is fine will still run just not the same as it was 100,000 miles ago.

18. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Not in front of me at the moment. I'll dig them up. What was interesting was back in 97 when I first bought it there was one area on the leakdown that was 3-5% or so higher than the others and I recall Lee telling me they don't even worry until it gets to "X" whatever "X" was. Back in 2017 or 18 when we did another compression and leakdown it was as if we were seeing the same pattern from 20 years earlier and I have had 2 valve (maybe 3) adjustments since.

And it has been a very hard well run 20 years. LOTS of track days.

ferrariowner likes this.