355 - New Exhaust Option: Larini GT2 Muffler (Phase 2) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 New Exhaust Option: Larini GT2 Muffler (Phase 2)

Discussion in '348/355' started by ShineKen, Oct 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I suspect much of the noticeable power difference is a function of auditory processing. The unreliable butt dyno. It's an NA car, its "breathing" better sure, but its not a turbo. If I saw more than 5whp from a can alone I would be surprised.

2. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    According to the Capristo website, they stated with their twin sound muffler you can see an increase of a minimum of 20 hp. Although most owners go with their other muffler because of sound.

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    #28 ttforcefed, Oct 11, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    they only offer the cap 3 now which is unvalved? no cap 2?

4. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    The twin sound had a slight seat of the pants bump.
    Every 355 muffler I've seen essentially just dumps the exhaust into a box and then channels it out the pipes. Including the cap 3 and the laniri. They also all keep the highly restrictive double 180* center cat.
    The twin sound actually had straight pipe connected directly to the headers to the tips with few bends.

5. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    It might be louder, but looses that high pitched F1 sound. You can hear it if you listen to Ken’s video. Ken stated he preferred his Cap 3. I think they all sound nice, just different. Depends on what your ears hear.

6. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I have seen the twin sound set up a while ago, and is different than the oem set up. Doesn’t it have valves on both sides of the mufflers inlets?

7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yeh you are right - the twinsound sounds muffled at the low end of the range.

8. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    The "can" or main part of the muffler on the twin sound, for all intensive purposes, is identical to the regular capristo. So it does produce a very similar f1 sound. However you can't hear it over the insanely obnoxious straight pipes lol. When those valves open, you can't hear anything else.
    Surprisingly, when the valves are closed, it is oddly quiet.

The lower exits attach to the muffler just like any other system.
    The upper exits are straight piped out the back with a valve that opens just like the factory bypass

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yep and cold air intake makers claim 20 hp to 50.

I'm skeptical is all.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    is the cap 3 valved these days? or are we saying capristo doesn't make a valved exhaust for the 355 anymore?

11. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    The valve is the bypass valve. The muffler is twin chamber so it has two sound levels. The twin sound does away with the bypass valve and the exhaust is valved further down the exhaust pathway.

jimmym likes this.
  12. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    This is exactly it!! WTF!? This sort of contradicts what Larini has said. Unless they are getting the muffler from another fabricator and currently selling under their own brand. They must feel this is a better muffler than what they offered before. It doesn’t seem they are selling their old version any longer.

You have a 5.2 correct? Can you comment on how the Larini muffler sounds down low vs the Capristo 3?

How did you end up with the “Larini” muffler and where is it now?

13. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

Thank you for the video documentation. This kinda stuff is priceless in our small 355 community.

The Capristo 3 does sound better on WOT. It has another level of F1 howl not found in other systems. As if you’re in an invisible tunnel when the valve opens! People tend to think their exhaust screams... until they hear a Capristo. Especially, on a 2.7 car.

kenneyd and jimmym like this.
  14. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

I think it is important for readers to realize the difference in these 2 engine systems for the same exhaust so we can try to compare apples to apples.

I also think readers should note that when discussing a Capristo 2 and 3, they are 90-95% identical. They are the same on WOT. Capristo 2 is “supposed to be” louder than a Cap 3 down low, but since they are both virtually quiet, one can’t really tell the difference between the two.

jimmym and MAD828 like this.
  15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Full Larini for the Scud.

Full Tubi for the 355.

*Your Bradan 2.7 Y-pipe is what’s helping the scream

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    So u think i shld go evolution on my 355 instead of capristo? I have a 95 355 so 2.7

MAD828 likes this.
  17. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Yep. If you’ve been happy with the standard Tubi for 2 decades, you can’t go wrong with the Tubi Evo. It will sound better down low than the Capristo. It might not scream like the Capristo up top, but your car is fully de-catted. You’ll be fine. Keeping most of the system under one brand seems more sophisticated, but that’s all in our heads of course.

Someone should get Tubi to build a Y-pipe. Or do what JimmyM did and simply de-cat the stock Y-pipe to maintain an OE look.

MAD828 likes this.
  18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Haha sophisticated!!!!

19. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    As Ken has stated, if you are happy with standard Tubi you will be blown away with the Tubi Evo and it will be all Italian and from the same company. I’m tempted to go back to my Tubi Evo it does suit the 2.7 and my driving a bit better. The Tubi Evo with decat is insane sound and much louder before bypass than Capristo.

From my experience 2.7 - Tubi Evo And 5.2 Capristo 2/3 is the best.

When you have the Capristo fitted you long for more noise when cruising, when you have the Tubi you long for more F1 wail up top. Pick your poison. They both sound amazing.

What really irks me about the Capristo is the fitment. The silencer is too large. Even with spacers the OEM heatshield rubs the canister. No such issues with Tubi muffler as it’s a smaller packaging.

jimmym and ShineKen like this.
  20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Im sold! anyone have an evolution they dont want anymore?

I see a loud exhaust at tubi website - is that one step lower or louder than the evolution?

21. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim

Tubi with test pipes. This car has a nice rich full sound.

22. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

Even with barely used Capristos, you ALWAYS see scratches in the same spots. I was wondering where the damn scratches were coming from. The oversized can might be a reason why the Capristo is quieter than it needs to be.

Most will find themselves driving like a mad man just trying to get some sound from the Cap.

MAD828 likes this.
  23. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Suffyk likes this.
  24. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Standard Tubi? When I purchased my car, it had stock headers, gutted OE cats, stock Y-pipe, and a standard Tubi muffler. Drove it for a few hundred miles. It’s got more grunt and growl than the Capristo down low. A better cruising experience if I’m being honest. I felt it was rather monotone and lacking a higher pitch. Perhaps a Y-pipe would have changed that.

25. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    All this exhaust talk has revived my already revived enthusiasm in my 355!!!!