355 - New Exhaust Option: Larini GT2 Muffler (Phase 2) | FerrariChat

355 New Exhaust Option: Larini GT2 Muffler (Phase 2)

Discussion in '348/355' started by ShineKen, Oct 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    #1 ShineKen, Oct 10, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    https://www.larinisystems.com/collection/ferrari/f355-challenge/larini-gt2-exhaust-assembly-inco

Since there has been recent discussion in regards to muffler/exhaust choices between Nouvalari, Tubi Evolution, and Capristo (2 & 3) I wanted to throw in another option to consider: Larini GT2 muffler/exhaust.

I’ve been going back and forth with Larini (based in UK) over their headers. I ended up getting a full exhaust system (headers, Y-pipe (2.7), straight pipes, muffler) because I liked what I was being told (I’m fairly picky), hence willing to take a chance. As far as I know, I don’t believe anyone here has tried their headers or new GT2 muffler.

*They do not offer a Y-pipe on their site. However, they are building a custom one for me upon request just so I can keep the full system under one brand. I specifically asked for the Y-pipe to be identical to Kriessieg’s, with their special Inconel 625 insulation/shielding. Big thanks to JimmyM for bringing up these new Larini options!

.. onto the muffler. The GT2 muffler has been out for about a year. It replaces their old version, which I’ll post pics of for comparison, for a better design, sound, and thermal performance. They offer 3 phases /options (different sound characteristics). Phase 2 is most likely what most of us want. They said the Phase 3 Race version is their loudest, but not necessarily their best sounding because you tend to lose tonal quality.

The muffler will come with Inconel shielding (not shown on the pics on the site) similar to the shielding on their 348 GT2 muffler. This will help with thermal efficiency thus creating more power.

What really caught my attention is they claim F1 screech/howl on par with Capristo’s with valve open, but also better tone on the low end. They describe the Capristo to be more like a “switch” in tone, going from quiet to F1, whereas their system is more linear. They seem to be very familiar with Tubi Evolutions and Capristos and the impression I got was their system has the linear feel of the Tubi and the scream of the Capristo. I had a Capristo 3 and now have a Capristo 2, so I’ll be to able tell if there’s any truth to this when I get the opportunity to try it out.

The pricing is reasonable. However, I would contact Top End Motorsport in the U.S and also and Fchat sponsor for better pricing than what is listed on the Larini site.

I’m excited and glad we have more options. Just wanted to share :).

*They also use 316 stainless steel for their exhaust components, which is slightly better than 304 SS (most manufacturers tend to use) due to corrosion resistance properties.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion, jimmym and INTMD8 like this.
  2. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  3. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    348 GT2 muffler shown with their Inconel shielding. Their 355 muffler should also come with the same shielding although not shown in their current marketing pics.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  5. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Screenshots of conversation I had with Larini through Instagram.

Regarding #5, I had asked why their Phase 3 Race version (loudest version) did not have an F1 tone.

Attached Files:

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  6. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Awaiting updates once fitted...

jimmym and ShineKen like this.
  7. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I would guess any system that retains the Y-pipe and mixes exhaust gases bank/bank at high velocity would to some degree keep that tone.

The systems that seem to lose it a bit have a very high flow rate on the primary flow path (like challenge). Maybe that's what's happening.

jimmym and ShineKen like this.
  8. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Oh. One more important thing. These guys come off as fairly bespoke and open to some level of customization.

For the GT2 muffler, I told them I did not want “quiet” when valved closed like the Capristo. I told them I want more volume down low for a better sound progression. I told them to keep the packing or silencing design to a minimum. So perhaps my muffler is “custom” in the sense they are going to try to accommodate my specific needs. They are well aware I am not happy with the Capristos when valve is closed or barely open. We’ll see what magic they can work.

jimmym likes this.
  9. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Their exhaust system seems to be very well made. It is also great that they are willing to accommodate customers requests. This muffler could be the best of both worlds, like a Tubi and Capristo combined at a reasonable price.

ShineKen likes this.
  10. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Agreed, I think Capristo is too quiet off bypass as well^ Really would be best performance wise to ditch the bypass altogether (with no cats) but probably race car loud all the time.

11. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    It is too quiet on a 2.7 not 5.2 it’s amazing the difference with the same muffler. And I have tried it with bypass open and it’s just too much and obnoxious. A middle ground needs to be found!

ShineKen likes this.
  12. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I agree with them on level 3 type systems just being obnoxious. Looking forward to hearing about it. On my 348 I put the single can 348 Spider system on and am hard pressed to spend money to replace that, it's pretty good, but if I did the kreissieg would be the only one. This is cheaper and I bet it sounds very similar, definitely looking forward to non valve open sound updates!

13. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    based on Sage Ken's advice i have placed the same order for the scud!

14. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    ShineKen likes this.
  15. Suffyk

Suffyk Formula Junior

May 25, 2012
    I just installed a Tubi Evolution and I'm in love. Full disclosure, I've never heard an alternate in person, but I've spent countless hours listening to sound clips online. Will get some vids posted.

Kokose7en and ShineKen like this.
  16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    What did you replace it with?

17. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I ran a capristo twin sound for a while then a capristo sound 3 now.
    The cap 3 is the best imo

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    how wld u compare the tons of the larini to the cap 3? also cap 3 has no valves so that something to consider.

19. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    #20 kenneyd, Oct 11, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    Very similar. The larini is much higher pitched than the tubi I've heard, yet not quite as high pitched as a capristo.
    I look through their pictures, and compared that to mine, there is no doubt it is the exact same muffler. Same support cross member and everything. It is pretty lightweight as well

Here's some videos,
    "larini"

Cap 3

Cap TS

20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Any idea if those were oem headers and cats as those wld impact overall tones.

21. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Oem headers, hyper flow cats

22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Got ya thanks...

23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I have a 2004 tubi and ive been going back and forth between the evolution and the cap twinsound. Have tubi headers and cats with bradan y pipe so ive been leaning towards keeping the brand consistent and going evolution.

24. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks Ken for posting the videos. I like the sound of each of them, although they are all slightly different. Ken, did you notice any difference in power or throttle response with any of them? From what I had read there was supposed to be a noticeable hp gain with the twin sound.