FF values. What's going on? | Page 40 | FerrariChat

FF values. What's going on?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by puckybadger, Apr 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

True but they never cover everything ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    it covers 3rd gear sensor and ptu which are the ones that matter...

vraa likes this.
  3. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    They quoted me £3.5k for power warranty it and the rebuild of the ptu is £8k so I'll try my luck and hope it doesn't go. Is there any merit in upgrading it before it goes would the work be less?
    Sent from my SM-F916B using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Outrun and vraa like this.
  4. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Saved me $15k for repair of intermediate transmission

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Atxmarc likes this.
  5. Natkingcolebasket69

Don’t get me wrong I got it too and my dct was replaced under warranty, I’m just saying the warranty doesn’t cover everything. They even cover leather issues on mine but leaks etc they don’t cover.
    I won’t be renewing mine
    Next year though.

6. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Love my FF, but what I gather reading most post on forum the opinion of most all FF owners they would not buy another FF.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  7. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I regret selling mine and am considering another one if the perfect spec comes along. Our example had no PTU issues in 23,000 miles.

8. Natkingcolebasket69

Some on here have. I love mike but the money to be spent to make it sound like it should and the very pedestrian sensations I get driving it make me like my newly acquired 355 much better. I just like older cars more but the FF is pretty darn cool!

9. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    I traded my F355 for the FF. I would love to have another F355 but I wouldn’t trade the FF for it...

Bas likes this.
  10. Natkingcolebasket69

I just don’t feel much involvement in newer cars, they are too fast, and in a canyon road the 355 is more suited. Still the FF is a fine machine ; I’m happy I have both ;)

FerrariTexas and IloveGT like this.
  11. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Hard to believe that Ferrari would create a GT car that most of us would be skeptical of taking on a Grand Tour, with a PTU that could
    fail at any time..

12. Natkingcolebasket69

Someone just posted a 2k round trip in Death Valley!

PTG1 and Bas like this.
  13. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    Yes, and we all will die one day...
    Don't bother the skepticals.
    I enjoy my FF every time I drive it, today again, and if someday the PTU comes to fail I will swap or upgrade it, no problem.
    I run an iconic V12 >300k car for less than the half, if it happens I will assume...

PTG1, Bas, Outrun and 1 other person like this.
  14. Outrun

Outrun Karting

Mine has been all over Europe, including a recent 1000miles around Scotland and 2 trip to Le Mans. Every car has some issues and I believe that when you are active on forums such as this, there is a real danger in being over-exposed to problems than is the true reality. As long as i have a good breakdown service, I’m not worried about any thing else. I also think they like to be used, garage queens seem to require more maintenance from my experience.

I think the FF is a great, great car and that time will eventually show that. I mean it’s a v12, 4wd, useable supercar. In a sea of mid-engined, 2 seater machines with no luggage space, it’s all things to all men (and women).

The Maserati before was known for gearbox issues.

The 911 for bore scoring.

The other 911 for radiators and steering racks.

The Audi for poor haldex 4wd that led to all sorts of driveability problems.

The Cayenne for noise tappets.

The z4m for VANOS issues.

See what i mean?

hagen111, FerrariTexas, PTG1 and 2 others like this.
  15. Outrun

Outrun Karting

They haven’t called me yet to offer a quote to extend, as you know. But i think that as Simon Furlonger is in the UK and can rebuild the PTU, I’m erring on the side of just saving the money and crossing fingers. Still got a service left so perhaps in another year i’ll think about what to do. I don’t want a Lusso and as i have young kids, i need 4 seats so perhaps I’ll look at a Roma then. But for now, the daft, v12, hatchback is all i want.

PTG1 and ANOpax like this.
  16. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    You all have my attention and agree a wonderful car and I will continue to enjoy mine, but let’s agree there is a time bomb in our mists..

17. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    And you do live in the most beautiful country in the world..

Outrun likes this.
  18. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I tried to explain this to a guy yesterday and it took a lot of telling on my part but I think he finally got it, the very best cars for driving passion have come and gone so those are the one to get. I just got my FF and I'm looking forward to keeping it for a very long time come what may with maintenance I think its worth it, I can't see any other car giving me the same experience in terms of over all package a d riding etc with 4 seats

19. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    In not getting it ill keep fingers crossed, lusso isn't the same I could have bought one but I'm not a fan of thr looks tbh

20. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Its only £8k so its not the end of the world in my opinion, save 2 years of warranty and you have the money in the pot

21. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    I’m sorry but I don’t agree - unless we are talking about a matter of semantics and you would also consider the following issues to be time bombs;

F355 valve guides
    360 variators
    F430 manifolds
    458 and Cali DCT boxes

I would have had more sympathy with your view when there was no available fix for the PTU but we now have the ability to improve the PTU design and minimise the risk of recurrence (at pretty reasonable cost, I might add).

All of the issues I highlighted above for other cars share the same characteristics as the PTU - they’re all model specific design flaws which don’t affect every car but can be permanently fixed if you encounter them.

PTG1 and Elasto like this.
  22. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Am I mistaken or is the PTU only engaging the front wheels, if the rear wheels loose traction?
    If this is the case it would mean, that we aren't using the PTU 99,9 % of the the time.

23. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    are you saying if given the choice you would rather fix the PTU with the aftermarket pieces than have ferrari fix it with oem parts (assuming someone has the power warranty which does cover the PTU)?

24. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    If you have the warranty, by all means have Ferrari replace the PTU (they don’t repair them). But you’ll need to keep the warranty going as there is no guarantee that the replacement PTU won’t pop a seal either - although it has been noted in the long running PTU thread that Ferrari have now changed the part number so maybe the design flaw has been addressed.

As Pete pointed out, you’d be better off saving on the warranty cost and have the PTU repaired independently by GTE, Furlonger or SS Autotech as they actually address the design fault which causes the PTU to fail in the first place. Once that’s done, you shouldn’t have to worry about it ever again. Admittedly, it’s still early days for the independent fixes for the PTU but I would rather take a chance on them than rely on Ferrari fitting a new PTU which shares the same failings as the old PTU (new part number notwithstanding).

25. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    My issue thankfully is not the price of the fix it’s being stranded, I drive from LA to Ft Lauderdale and the last few times after being made
    aware of these issues I now take my Lexus which is great but no fun, I’m sure many have made similar journeys with no problems
    I’m just a little hesitant .