Anyone else have this with their F12? | FerrariChat

Anyone else have this with their F12?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by VG221, Oct 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VG221

VG221 Rookie

Sep 20, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Vito Garofalo
    So I’ve noticed under my car I have these black spots. I’m not positive but I believe I’m getting them on startup. It’s not oil... it seems to be just soot mixed with water.. it doesn’t seem like it’s coming from the tailpipes because it looks to be in the center of the car. Does anyone else experience this?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Do you have an aftermarket exhaust? X-pipe installed? Looks like you've got an exhaust leak, which if you've got an aftermarket exhaust would make more sense. The water is likely from the condensation that builds up in the pipes naturally. Would recommend having a look under there yourself or by a mechanic.

3. ScottJon

ScottJon Karting

Jul 14, 2018
    Hollywood. Ca. USA
    Full Name:
    Scott Leibow
    I agree I have a 2014 and never seen anything like this. I would have it looked at

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

4. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    Didn't you park your car after a drive on wet road?
    It happened one time I parked my FF a bit wet and I had this kind of stains under the exhaust line on the garage floor.
    Oem exhaust, no leak, no issue at all.

5. VG221

VG221 Rookie

Sep 20, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Vito Garofalo
    There is no aftermarket exhaust but an exhaust leak sounds like a good probability. I don’t have the means to get under there myself. I’ll have to have it looked at. Thanks for your input.

6. VG221

VG221 Rookie

Sep 20, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Vito Garofalo
    I thought it was that also but I just started the car to pull it out and wash it and I noticed two fresh spots so that eliminates that possibility.

7. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    If you had any exhaust leak you should hear it imho.
    Another possibility is you fire on your engine sometimes without moving the car, to hear it for example, the heat produces some condensation which falls down on your floor when the engine cools down.
    I noticed that under a friend's E type Jaguar he starts up every WE but rarely drives.
    If yes it's better to truly drive the car which really reaches its operating temperature and dries the condensation.

8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    If it's water maybe it's something coming from the A/C system?

9. VG221

VG221 Rookie

Sep 20, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Vito Garofalo
    No, I only stared it to pull out of the garage to wash it. A/C wasn’t on.

10. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    it’s water ....as other said.
    could be a tiny leak in the exaust system or condensation...from exaust

RamsHmb and VG221 like this.
  11. VG221

VG221 Rookie

Sep 20, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Vito Garofalo
    At this point I’m leaning on a small exhaust leak.. it’s not coming from the tailpipes, that’s for sure. It’s coming from the middle of the car somewhere.

12. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    If there is soot it is likely coming from exhaust. Water is more likely condensation than AC.

Most manufacturers will route the AC condensation down to the side so it isn’t dripping on to any components

VG221 likes this.
  13. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    I have had it...was condensation in the exhaust that came out on start up. I didn’t have a leak and it only happened on my f12. Also, didn’t happen that often and I lived in a (very) high humidity part of the state....ie foggy ;)

VG221 likes this.
  14. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    i have this on my 2013 458 spider. i also have it on my inside garage door from when i would start the car with the doors down. dealer said it wasn't an issue.

VG221 likes this.
  15. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    Condensation...

VG221 likes this.
  16. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The A/C doesn't have to be on. Our Toyota Highlander does this now and then. I have cardboard in the garage from working under my pickup truck and the other day I slid the cardboard over under the Highlander (which is a 2015). When I started the Highlander up today to pull it out of the garage for a minute, there were two small pools of water on the cardboard. Usually it's just drain water from the A/C compressor - whether or not you are actively running the A/C at times.

You can also get water coming out of the exhaust system at times.

As others have said, it can be exhaust system condensation also.

Ray

VG221 likes this.
  17. Garthbo

Garthbo Rookie

Oct 2, 2018
    Manila, Philippines
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Hi VG221. Have you figured out what this water mixed with soot underneath the center portion of your car? I get the same thing in the floor of my garage every time I cold start the car and warm it up for awhile before moving. Aircon is off and no recent car wash. I use my car maybe every other week and rarely push the car hard given the bad road and traffic conditions here in the Philippines.

Let me know if I should worry about this issue. Thanks.

18. VG221

VG221 Rookie

Sep 20, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Vito Garofalo
    seems to be condensation building up in the tailpipes but I can’t be 100% sure yet. My car will be going in for service next month and I will ask the technician to take a look.

19. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I had it with my F12 as well.

20. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd

Yes I get the black spots from my 2020 Pista, at the exhaust, and a 2015 Portofino, under the engine. A damp cloth will wipe them off my ( porcelain ) floor..
    Its not oil, some type of condensation I guess.

21. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    That's normal condensation if you let it warm up fully before driving. The lower panels do not catch it as the H pipe is open due to heat. If you don't hear an exhaust leak either at idle or higher than you're fine.

otakki likes this.