GT4 fuel filler hinge problem | FerrariChat

GT4 fuel filler hinge problem

Discussion in '308/328' started by ParisTimGT4, Oct 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ParisTimGT4

ParisTimGT4 Rookie

Nov 3, 2014
    PARIS, FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Tim STEAD
    Recently the spring broke on the fuel filler cap on my 77 GT4. After a few attempts to fit a replacement spring I located a new part (from Maranello Classic Spares in the UK). It arrived and the size and holes line up. Unfortunately it does not have the spring as per the previous one - but a spring encased in a small cylinder. I cannot fit as the spring cylinder collides with the bodywork (mine has no recess to accept it). I can possibly drill a hole of the right size into the bodywork (it cannot be seen). Before I do - has anyone else had this problem - and how was it solved? See the attached photos for the difference - old = left / replacement = right. Thanks in advance.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Stefan at dinoparts.de does a replacement of the original spring clip. It's not a coil spring

DinoParts, Stefan and absostone like this.
  3. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    DinoParts, Stefan likes this.
  4. ParisTimGT4

ParisTimGT4 Rookie

Nov 3, 2014
    PARIS, FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Tim STEAD
    Most interesting. It could be that mine is a previous bodge. Will get back to you. Thanks for your help.

5. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    I was out in my car today and meant to take a pic of my filler cap assembly for you but forgot. The car doesn't live at home but I can easily go and take a pic if you need one

6. ParisTimGT4

ParisTimGT4 Rookie

Nov 3, 2014
    PARIS, FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Tim STEAD
    Sorry for late reply - I've been away. I just sent Stefan a mail to ask how his hinge return works . It looks like it will fit onto my old hinge and replace the spring (which was probably a bodge anyway). If so - I will get one (and ask for a remise!). If you do have a photo of one in situ it may help (no rush - I'm away for 10 days again - will get around to going to the garage upon my return). Thanks again in advance for your help..

7. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
  8. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    ..... and to get some more space, remove the fuel tank lid and cover the opening with some plastic so not to drop anything down into the tank .
    /Peter

9. ParisTimGT4

ParisTimGT4 Rookie

Nov 3, 2014
    PARIS, FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Tim STEAD
    Thanks Peter for the photos and tips and Francis for the initial lead to Dinoparts. It looks like this is the way forward. I'm waiting for Stefan's reply and will get this hinge. I'm away form Paris for 10 days but will fit when I'm back. I'll let you know when sorted. Tim

DinoParts, Stefan and Pero like this.
  10. bromo

bromo Rookie

Feb 3, 2018
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Craig
  11. bromo

bromo Rookie

Feb 3, 2018
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Craig
  12. ParisTimGT4

ParisTimGT4 Rookie

Nov 3, 2014
    PARIS, FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Tim STEAD
    Just to close the thread (as I started it way back in Novermber last year). Having driven round without a fuel cover for 5 months I fitted it last weekend. I confirm that the part sold by Dinoparts de. fits and works fine. The part that I purchased from Marenello Classic Spares in the UK does not fit (I could not return it as I tried to enlarge the holes - it still didn't fit - my fault!). A bit fiddly - but it does eventually work. Thanks for the photos Pero and Bromo and Francisn for the lead. The car looks a lot more presentable with the cover in place!

Pero and DinoParts, Stefan like this.