Market Prices 575 Manual vs 575 F1 (conversion costs) vs 550? | FerrariChat

Market Prices 575 Manual vs 575 F1 (conversion costs) vs 550?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Ferrari55whoa, Oct 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Well today was interesting on BaT....and so will be the next 2 weeks or so given what's on the roster.

Today the auction ended SOLD at $83k for:
    +) 575M F1 Ser no. 136329 out of Conshohocken, Pennsylvania
    +) 2004 with 17k miles
    +) Rosso Corsa over Tan
    +) https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2004-ferrari-575m-maranello-3/
    +) https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/and-another-maranello-for-sale.485364/#post-143890890

Shortly afterward, in my backyard another 575 was listed today
    +) 575M F1 Ser no. 131739 out of Los Gatos, CA (NorCal - south San Jose)
    +) 2003 with 29k miles
    +) Argento Nurburgring over Charcoal
    +) https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-ferrari-575-maranello-16/
    +) didn't see an F-Chat thread on that one (could have missed it)

PLUS tonight the following was listed:
    +) 575M MANUAL Ser no. 135174
    +) 2004 with 19k miles
    +) Rosso Corsa over Beige
    +) https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2004-ferrari-575-maranello-6/
    +) https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/575-technical-thread.245394/page-25#post-142096415

Today's sale of Ser no. 136329 at $83k was not unexpected given earlier in September we saw the following:
    +) 575M F1 Ser no. 130840 out of Pasadena, CA
    +) 2003 with 25k miles
    +) Nero over tan
    +) https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-ferrari-575-maranello-15/

This weekend I had been catching up on my paper magazines and was reading Forza issue 181 regarding Pucciareli's F1 conversion done by Wil de Groot.

I then did a search here to see if there was a thread discussing the conversion cost (couldn't find it) but for reference I did find the Forza article online
    https://www.forza-mag.com/issues/181/articles/two-pedal-blues

Do any of the F-Chat members know the conversion cost from 575 F1 to manual? I might have missed it somewhere here.

This week will be interesting to see where the values come out and see the current market implied difference in 575 pricing between the current listed manual vs the F1's.

Understanding a converted F1 575 will never equal the value of an investment grade 575 Manual it would still be interesting to see/know the conversion cost compares.

On the 550/575 topic -- I got my blue leather book from Nathan recently (loving it) and I've recently been really enjoying all of you here that are regular 550/575 contributors -- thanks so much for such great content. @tazandjan @henryr @niftyfivefifty @355-fan-82 @https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/members/f355-fan-82.36724/ among others.

Just as additional info while we are here.....there are few other recent (during COVID) historical sales.....

SOLD 5/19/20 for $151,000
    +) 575M F1 Ser no. 134158 out of Blaine, WA
    +) 2003 with 4k miles
    +) Blue Pozzi over medium blue
    +) https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-ferrari-575-maranello-13/

SOLD 4/27/20 for $95,000 (Bizzare car/situation -- see below)
    +) 575M MANUAL Ser no. 128467 out of Miami, FL
    +) 2002 with 11k miles
    +) Theft Recovery and Salvage Title according to the listing and the F-chat thread is interesting/bizzare
    +) Titanium Grey over Beige
    +) https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-ferrari-575m-maranello-six-speed/
    +)https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/i-think-you-were-bidding-on-the-575-6spd-on-bat-today.621107/

Interested to hear the crowd's thoughts on the 575 conversion cost vs 550 pricing (which has been a little less clear).

Thanks -- Eric

2. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I have a fair bit of experience in this area around the technical requirements of converting F1 cars to manual, though like you I'm always interested in hearing other's thoughts on what the value of such cars should be. The conversions are essentially bolt on projects, so there is no reason why a converted car should look or feel any different to a factory manual, though it goes without saying that the value will be less. Looking at some of the same prices for converted 430's, there is definitely the potential to add more to the sale price of a car than the basic cost of a conversion. I would always advise that this is the wrong way to look at it though; if nothing else the data above the the experience form this year is that prices are volatile, and often its very hard to explain why one car is valued so highly above others. Convert your car then because its the car you want. Expect to loose money (because that's what cars do as a general rule). Enjoy the car(s) you own.

I believe the rough cost for the 575 conversion mentioned above was $30k before any of the other preventative maintenance items you might want to do at the same time. It feels like this price is on the up though as parts become ever more scarce. Then again this is driving me and others to look for solutions to unavailability of original Ferrari parts.

21ATS likes this.
  3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    If the price is $30K or more, then I doubt there is much room to add value in excess of the cost.

Agreed. It is a cost effective way of getting yourself a manual 575 and the driving experience will be exactly the same, so who cares that it is a conversion? However, if you don't already have a nice 575F1, and the premium for a manual is, say, around twice the cost of the conversion, and you can afford it, it might make sense to by a genuine manual, just in case one day you want to sell.

4. ferraritommy

ferraritommy Rookie

Aug 2, 2017
    Milford NJ
    I agree with the 30k price tag on the conversion. I know a shop that has done multiple 575 manual conversions.

5. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
  6. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I would just buy the 550, if you want the manual. At the same time I do understand if a collector desires to pay a premium for the 575 factory equipped manual. (When) the 550/575 appreciates my guess collectors will not be all that interested in buying a 575 manual conversion.

F456M and Il Tifoso like this.
  7. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I owned both 550 and 575 manual at the same time.

The 575 had the FHP and this car was so much nicer than my 550 to drive. It was night and day different.

May the Horse be with you

8. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan

9. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    The numbers in the initial post show how weak the 575 market really is for upper teen - 20k+ mile cars.

The question of whether converted cars retain or increase in value is an open one, as so few converted cars have come up to sale. At least in the AM Vanquish world, conversions retain their value on sale with converted cars typically commanding a $30k premium.

Also realize the % of young people who can drive manuals is ever decreasing. Whether the 575m will increase in value prior to the new generation becoming the dominant market force is an open question.

10. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Personally I think the Aston Martin conversion is not quite comparable as it's a warrantied aftermarket conversion undertaken by Aston Martin themselves. The car is then effectively a "factory" manual, with factory parts all supplied by AM.

Any 575 conversion is going to be a little Heath Robinson due to parts availability and Ferrari's unwillingness to support it's back catalogue in any sort of meaningful manner. It's a shame, I think they are missing an income stream for this sort of conversion that would lend credibility to any after the fact alterations. Mind you the'yd probably want to charge 100k for a conversion.

11. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Whilst I cant verify this myself, I've heard from a couple people recently that Ferrari are putting some of the 430 manual parts back into production. Whilst its of little use to V12 owners, then if its true, then its a sign that they are getting the message around the demand for manual cars.

21ATS, haroonok and Auraraptor like this.
  12. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    30 to 35k is the price for the 430 fwiw

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  13. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    "The 575 had the FHP and this car was so much nicer....."
    I also have a 575M, gated and factory FHP. It is a real pleasure to drive; a 105,000 miles on the "clock" pleasure. Best I can tell, there are very few gated 575s with FHP in the US. I read, years ago, that dealers discourage people from ordering FHP because the Pagid "orange(?)" brake pads were quite noisy.

Qksilver, white out and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  14. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Yup, true on the dealers discouraging FHP because of brake squeal. Continental had quite a few sets of nearly new Pagid 4-4 pads that had been swapped for standard pads because the customers could not take the noise. Funny thing is, once bedded, the pads only squealed occasionally. Mine would let out a squeal about once a month for who knows what reason. My ceramics now do not squeal at all.

From the FNA FHP technical bulletin:

NOTE: The Fiorano handling package uses Pagid brake pads. These pads have special
    characteristics and will cause brake squeal. This is considered to be normal. All dealers
    are to inform the customers that this possibility exists, and if they elect to have any work
    performed to reduce the squeal, it will be at the customer’s expense.
    Warranty will not cover replacement of the pads, chamfering of the pads, deglazing of
    the rotors, applying disc brake quiet, etc.

joeacc likes this.
  15. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    "Yup, true on the dealers discouraging FHP because of brake squeal."
    I rather liked the brake squeal. Pulling up to a stop light/sign, with just the right brake pedal pressure, it sounded like a garbage truck; a real Ferrari paradox. The Padgids were changed out at first and subsequent brake changes; I miss the old sound.

F456M likes this.
  16. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    When I bought my 550 in May 2103, the car had been standing for a long time. Almost not driven in many years. It squeeled ALOT. So much I felt a bit shameful in the streets. As I started to drive it, the squeel became less intrusive. Now when I drive it every second day it never squeel at all. I still have the same front pads and discs as back in 2013 when I bought the car and about 85.000 kms. later!

Bas likes this.
  17. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Most of the buyers are old men who just want to pose. 1/2 the local club had no desire to go on the fun run and they bitched to the president that he drove too fast. 1/2 the people just wanted to show up for the breakfast and chat.

The buyer profile has really changed over the last thirty years. They now want a practical refined car with all the amenities.

18. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    "Most of the buyers are old men who just want to pose."
    I'm 76, guess I have't reached "poser" age yet! :>)

VaX, Graz, Niteroi and 4 others like this.
  19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ralf- Did I ever tell you the part about you being full of crap? I likely owned Ferraris before you were born. Even old men can be car freaks, believe it or not.

20. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    And even young men can (and want) to drive manual! Confirmed as one of them. :)

LorenzoOO, gzachary, Bas and 2 others like this.
  21. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    William sold his yesterday with reserve met (This was shown above in the original posting).
    Auction closed at $84,000 with the FHP that seems like an attractive price.

Shortly afterward, in my backyard another 575 was listed today
    +) 575M F1 Ser no. 131739 out of Los Gatos, CA (NorCal - south San Jose) SOLD 10.8.20 for $84,000
    +) 2003 with 29k miles
    +) Argento Nurburgring over Charcoal
    +) https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-ferrari-575-maranello-16/

22. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #22 ralfabco, Oct 9, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    1). It’s not a personal attack against anyone. This is not my intent. No trolling either.

I understand some are true enthusiasts. No doubt.

It is what it is with the local chapter. Some of
    the 40 something y/o’s did not want to participate on the fun runs either. Again the cars are refined and practical and today’s buyer who wants a new F car has different wishes.

23. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I also owned a 575 manual with FHP and a 550 at the same time. Still have the. 575. I agree completely about the difference, the 575 is a better car and much nicer to drive.

Any Ferrari manual is a PITA to drive in town, though. The 430 is better because of some spring loading in the shift, and the shift seems a bit shorter too.

I don’t know if I’m an old man but I like to pose AND drive like I stole it! I think that has been kind of the point of Ferraris since the start.

Red575, Auraraptor, Qavion and 3 others like this.
  24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ralf- Generic statements about Ferrari owners are nearly always wrong. You just seem to be dealing with some who happen to be weak dicks.

F456M likes this.
  25. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    I know they can vary a fair bit but i have always found my 550 a pleasure even in traffic.